The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

WHL rocks

Any problem that happens in the classroom, grades and parents can be taken to a social media site. Where the person is further ridiculed. Sexual and physical abuse are also factors yes. But lets face it. Society is cruel. If you were to make a simple post on any social media site stating, 'I have just been raped'. What kind of typical responses would you get? The Internet has shown time and time again the true heartless nature of many people.

For all the good social media does it also amplifies the bad ten times over. People can make comments they would never make in person and remain anonymous or separated.

Here's two scenarios for the sake of understanding;

1) you go online with 100 random people from around the world. You state if 1 out of the 100 will approve you will commit suicide.

2) those same 100 people now in a public square in person and the same statement is made.

Which is more likely to get the approved 'yes' vote for suicide? Therein lies one danger of social media.

Uh dude....isn't that the point of all internet communique? To remain anonymous and separated while making stupid comments? Isn't that what we're doing right now, on this message board? Do you actually think that some of the stupid things some posters say on this site they'd say in person?

So... Did it contribute to today's?

He didn't post anything pre-shooting and he was dead before people started tweeting about him.

What bothers me about twitter is the MISinformation posted on it all the time. What's the point of being fast when it's false?

And remember the bs images of the New York hurricane? It's getting so you can't trust the internet or social media.

Yeah, it's not all that reliable. But does that mean i'm going to shoot kindergarteners? Um, no.

Ed's argument is missing a very important piece, and that is evidence of an actual connection between the rise of social media and his perceived rise in mass murder incidences.

imo There is more a correlation between the Mayan doomsday prophecy and mass murders than there is between tweets and todays killings.

I would say no, these things have happened before social media was invented. Some killers may use social media to put their disturbed thoughts out there, but it doesn't motivate them in the first place. Besides if anyone wants to say social media contributes to mass killings you can't single out the US, all countries have social media.

Remembers back in the 80's when Dungeons & Dragons, and Heavy Metal Music was supposed turn you into a crazed psychopath.

Even exposure to Battlefield series of games and Call of Duty I don't think messes you up. But like anything else if you're unglued to begin with, sometimes it just takes a little something to set you off.

Ofcourse it does, how could anyone argue otherwise? I don't know if its a main factor, but even 1% is "contributing". I'm sure e-net bullying or ridicule as a result of things posted/revealed on the web have lead to a few incidents. With the frequency and severity of these acts, a list of what doesn't contribute would likely be much shorter.

Archived