Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Please tell me how you assert such a strong connection between the phrase "social reasons" and "social media"...Social reasons can be anything from the aforementioned media to rejection by peers, break up with a girlfriend/boyfriend, etc...you're stretching that a bit much for me to ascertain any real connection between social media specifically and these mass shootings.

Well I have already mentioned that racism, bullying and social isolation can all happen on social media sites. As well those 3 are primarily listed as triggers to these events. You can break a relationship on Facebook can you not? You can be rejected by peers on social media sites all the same. Tell something of a stressor that can happen socially, outside of social media and not in. So far all I see are more and more connections between the two. That and the fact the killer can get a TON of attention through social media.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#32 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well I have already mentioned that racism, bullying and social isolation can all happen on social media sites. As well those 3 are primarily listed as triggers to these events. You can break a relationship on Facebook can you not? You can be rejected by peers on social media sites all the same. Tell something of a stressor that can happen socially, outside of social media and not in. So far all I see are more and more connections between the two. That and the fact the killer can get a TON of attention through social media.

I have very little respect for anyone who would end a romantic relationship on Facebook. That's just cowardly, man.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#33 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

911? Helter Skelter? Columbine? Hitler? Amin? Pol Pot? Bundy? Olsen? Dahmer?

All before F**kbook and Twatter.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#34 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Ok..as far as stressors that happen socially but outside of social media...how about problems in the classroom? Problems with grades? Problems with your parents? All these things lead to deranged behaviors as well, as well as sexual abuse, physical abuse...social media may be an underlying factor but in my view is not now and never has been a "root cause".

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#35 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I have very little respect for anyone who would end a romantic relationship on Facebook. That's just cowardly, man.

Lol I have seen worse. And my point isn't that it's right. But that's it's possible. Even as far as being made official via Facebook I believe.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#36 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sunshine...on my shoulders...makes me happy..... ;)

Sunshine........in my eyes......can make me cry... ;)

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#37 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Sunshine........in my eyes......can make me cry... ;)

PM me please?
Posted Image

#38 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ok..as far as stressors that happen socially but outside of social media...how about problems in the classroom? Problems with grades? Problems with your parents? All these things lead to deranged behaviors as well, as well as sexual abuse, physical abuse...social media may be an underlying factor but in my view is not now and never has been a "root cause".

Any problem that happens in the classroom, grades and parents can be taken to a social media site. Where the person is further ridiculed. Sexual and physical abuse are also factors yes. But lets face it. Society is cruel. If you were to make a simple post on any social media site stating, 'I have just been raped'. What kind of typical responses would you get? The Internet has shown time and time again the true heartless nature of many people.

For all the good social media does it also amplifies the bad ten times over. People can make comments they would never make in person and remain anonymous or separated.

Here's two scenarios for the sake of understanding;

1) you go online with 100 random people from around the world. You state if 1 out of the 100 will approve you will commit suicide.

2) those same 100 people now in a public square in person and the same statement is made.

Which is more likely to get the approved 'yes' vote for suicide? Therein lies one danger of social media.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#39 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Interesting how when Ed can't answer your questions or back something up, he just puts you on ignore so he doesn't have to. That's cowardice, Sunshine, pure unadulterated cowardice.

:lol:

Sorry I'm just not interested in you BB :(

#40 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I thought it was violent video games that were the biggest problem????

Amirite?
Note - for those who do not recognize it the post is rife with sarcasm.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#41 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I thought it was violent video games that were the biggest problem????

Amirite?
Note - for those who do not recognize it the post is rife with sarcasm.

Careful Wet. I do own a copy of modern warfare.

#42 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

:sick: Thank God

Red herrings don't suit you, Ed. You're taking the coward's way out. You just don't want to answer the questions asked of you or provide facts and figures to back up your claims or admit that you were in error. Pure cowardice Sunshine, nothing more. If you're going to make outrageous claims about something, the onus is on you to provide the facts to back it up. You have failed to do so.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#43 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Any problem that happens in the classroom, grades and parents can be taken to a social media site. Where the person is further ridiculed. Sexual and physical abuse are also factors yes. But lets face it. Society is cruel. If you were to make a simple post on any social media site stating, 'I have just been raped'. What kind of typical responses would you get? The Internet has shown time and time again the true heartless nature of many people.

For all the good social media does it also amplifies the bad ten times over. People can make comments they would never make in person and remain anonymous or separated.

Here's two scenarios for the sake of understanding;

1) you go online with 100 random people from around the world. You state if 1 out of the 100 will approve you will commit suicide.

2) those same 100 people now in a public square in person and the same statement is made.

Which is more likely to get the approved 'yes' vote for suicide? Therein lies one danger of social media.

Uh dude....isn't that the point of all internet communique? To remain anonymous and separated while making stupid comments? Isn't that what we're doing right now, on this message board? Do you actually think that some of the stupid things some posters say on this site they'd say in person?
Posted Image

#44 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Uh dude....isn't that the point of all internet communique? To remain anonymous and separated while making stupid comments? Isn't that what we're doing right now, on this message board? Do you actually think that some of the stupid things some posters say on this site they'd say in person?

Yup and social media amplifies that. Anyway seems like we're just going in circles now.

#45 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yup and social media amplifies that. Anyway seems like we're just going in circles now.

Nah not going round in circles I was trying to understand the gist of your point. I'll say right now I'm not a fan of social media, nor do I have a FB or twitter account (in my opinion only birds should "tweet") but for you to take such a small amount of comparative data and try to posit a claim that social media is really a root cause of this kind of mass violence is a fruitless endeavor in my opinion. Underlying circumstantial factor yes...possibly...root cause...meh...the evidence just doesn't support this claim.
Posted Image

#46 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Your loss, man. ;)
Posted Image

#47 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,270 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

To Suicides yes.

To Mass Murder's no.

zackass.png

#48 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,414 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

So... Did it contribute to today's?

He didn't post anything pre-shooting and he was dead before people started tweeting about him.

What bothers me about twitter is the MISinformation posted on it all the time. What's the point of being fast when it's false?

And remember the bs images of the New York hurricane? It's getting so you can't trust the internet or social media.

Yeah, it's not all that reliable. But does that mean i'm going to shoot kindergarteners? Um, no.

Ed's argument is missing a very important piece, and that is evidence of an actual connection between the rise of social media and his perceived rise in mass murder incidences.

imo There is more a correlation between the Mayan doomsday prophecy and mass murders than there is between tweets and todays killings.
Posted Image

#49 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

http://nj1015.com/ma...ia-posts-audio/

I'm not saying that it can't occur without social media. But that it could make it worse. Don't you think these types of massacres are happening more and more often now?

No, but it's easier to recall them because of the recency effect - def: from a long list, things at the end of the list are recalled more accurately.

#50 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Why are you so against social media Special Ed? Is it because you don't have any facebook friends or twitter followers?

Don't worry, I'll be your friend :)
Follow me on twitter @RealStamkos91

#51 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Why are you so against social media Special Ed? Is it because you don't have any facebook friends or twitter followers?

Don't worry, I'll be your friend :)

I was more lumping media and social media together but some people twisted it into a social media argument. I merely was saying that its all connected and has connections/implications to these kinds of events. As well suggestion the recent incline of mass shootings could be attributed to the communication age we live in.

#52 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I would say no, these things have happened before social media was invented. Some killers may use social media to put their disturbed thoughts out there, but it doesn't motivate them in the first place. Besides if anyone wants to say social media contributes to mass killings you can't single out the US, all countries have social media.

#53 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,428 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Remembers back in the 80's when Dungeons & Dragons, and Heavy Metal Music was supposed turn you into a crazed psychopath.

Even exposure to Battlefield series of games and Call of Duty I don't think messes you up. But like anything else if you're unglued to begin with, sometimes it just takes a little something to set you off.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 14 December 2012 - 06:42 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#54 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

No followers or friends make Ed something something..
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#55 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

No followers or friends make Ed something something..

Online people I don't know giving me attention? Yeah I don't need that.

#56 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Online people I don't know giving me attention? Yeah I don't need that.

Unless it's negative attention. At which point you leap in, toss something insulting out there and then pretend not to see anymore posts from them when they nail you to the wall by allowing you to hang yourself with your own words.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#57 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Unless it's negative attention. At which point you leap in, toss something insulting out there and then pretend not to see anymore posts from them when they nail you to the wall by allowing you to hang yourself with your own words.

The classic ending when one brings a knife to a gunfight or when one attempts to engage in a battle of wits with someone more learned and then realizes that they are essentially unarmed.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#58 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Ofcourse it does, how could anyone argue otherwise? I don't know if its a main factor, but even 1% is "contributing". I'm sure e-net bullying or ridicule as a result of things posted/revealed on the web have lead to a few incidents. With the frequency and severity of these acts, a list of what doesn't contribute would likely be much shorter.

#59 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Yup, first person shooters are to blame. BAN THEM!!!!!
Posted Image

#60 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Actually when you insulted with the very first reply to my post in the other thread, is when I started ignoring you. Then you continued to ramble on about things which I didn't pay attention to. In fact when I saw your name I simply scrolled over your posts without reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.