Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

The classic ending when one brings a knife to a gunfight or when one attempts to engage in a battle of wits with someone more learned and then realizes that they are essentially unarmed.

I had ignored her posts since her first reply because it was insulting(in another thread). You may have missed that, so there's a little clarification.

Edited by Special Ed, 14 December 2012 - 09:30 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#62 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Actually when you insulted with the very first reply to my post in the other thread, is when I started ignoring you. Then you continued to ramble on about things which I didn't pay attention to. In fact when I saw your name I simply scrolled over your posts without reading.

I always pause at your threads to either shake my head or chuckle .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#63 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I always pause at your threads to either shake my head or chuckle .. :rolleyes:

That was definitely post worthy.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#64 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Actually when you insulted with the very first reply to my post in the other thread, is when I started ignoring you. Then you continued to ramble on about things which I didn't pay attention to. In fact when I saw your name I simply scrolled over your posts without reading.

:lol: Just can't resist confirming my previous posts, can you?

In regard to the thread title - what originally instigated the thread being created was not about whether social media contributes to mass killings but whether or not Facebook and Twitter are the root causes of mass killings. Which is what Special Ed stated is the case. He has refused to back up this claim with any facts or figures.

For anyone wondering what my 'insulting' post was, this is it:

I sincerely hope you are referring to the fact that someone was misidentified on these two social networking sites and not that this mass murder at an elementary school had anything to do with the fact that Facebook and Twitter exist.

Because if you are, I do have something more to say to you. And it's not polite. It's not even semi-polite. Politeness has left the building.

In response to this:

Facebook and twitter. Two of the biggest reasons these things happen.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#65 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

:lol: Just can't resist confirming my previous posts, can you?

In regard to the thread title - what originally instigated the thread being created was not about whether social media contributes to mass killings but whether or not Facebook and Twitter are the root causes of mass killings. Which is what Special Ed stated is the case. He has refused to back up this claim with any facts or figures.

For anyone wondering what my 'insulting' post was, this is it:

In response to this:

Why should I bother having a discussion with someone who only has things to say about my viewpoint 'that are not even semi-polite'. My viewpoint that social media could very well be contributing to these violent acts or at the least cause an increase in them as of late. I have presented some information which was also conveniently ignored. I let that go. Bottom line is our conversation wasn't going to work out between us as evidently shown in your original post, yet you ceased to relent. You had no intention of being polite to me and are surprised when I don't respond. Sound logic.

#66 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Why should I bother having a discussion with someone who only has things to say about my viewpoint 'that are not even semi-polite'. My viewpoint that social media could very well be contributing to these violent acts or at the least cause an increase in them as of late. I have presented some information which was also conveniently ignored. I let that go. Bottom line is our conversation wasn't going to work out between us as evidently shown in your original post, yet you ceased to relent. You had no intention of being polite to me and are surprised when I don't respond. Sound logic.

Oh, but that's not what you said. Do I really need to quote your own words again? :rolleyes:

And your 'information' pertinent to the point that Facebook and Twitter are the root causes of mass murders was taken apart by others in the discussion yet you refused to even acknowledge that. There was no need for me to repeat what they'd already said.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 14 December 2012 - 09:58 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#67 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

I don't know to what degree if any social media contributes to the frequency of events like this but I think in the aftermath it's harmful effects can definitely be witnessed. Today I've seen a witch hunt occur online where the perpetrator's brother was the target of abuse. I've also seen people use this event to inform reductive and discriminatory points of views. Let's face there is never any meaningful dialogue through social media. Things people agree with get the most likes or upvotes, there is no discussion. Just look at this forum for example, it's an example of online connection and yet I have very rarely witnessed any people approach discussion here with any degree of being open-minded.

#68 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Here is something that social media and the news media have created:

Connecticut School Shooter Media May Have ID'd Wrong Guy

Posted Image
Numerous TV news outlets and websites are scrambling after they named a man and showed his picture, claiming he was the shooter in the Connecticut school massacre, but it seems they had the wrong guy.

The outlets claimed Ryan Lanza killed at least 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School, including at least 20 children. Some of the outlets also splashed his pic on the screen.

Problem is ... it looks like Ryan Lanza isn't the shooter. Someone began posting messages on Ryan's Facebook page denying he's the shooter, even saying "F**k you CNN. It wasn't me." FYI ... CNN didn't post the pic -- it was iReportCNN, a user-generated forum.

NBC reported they may have gotten the name wrong because the shooter had an ID in his pocket that made them believe Ryan Lanza was the culprit.

Law enforcement sources now tell AP the shooter is Ryan's brother, Adam.

Posted Image

This isn't the first time stuff like this has happened (Anonymous, Amanda Todd case ring a bell?) Putting innocent peoples lives at risk because misinformation can be passed along so quickly and easily.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 14 December 2012 - 10:32 PM.

wmmkuv.jpg

#69 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

^ ^ ^ That picture with the girl crying is gut wrenching every time I see it ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 14 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#70 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Normally horrific news doesn't do much to me in the way of emotion. But when I heard about this from a guy at work coming back from work I did feel sick to my stomach for a while. I can't imagine the parents having to ID their child or the crime scene people that will have to go in and clean up the mess.

wmmkuv.jpg

#71 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

As bad as it is, seeing that picture is more relieving to that girl's parents than seeing her in a morgue.

#72 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

As bad as it is, seeing that picture is more relieving to that girl's parents than seeing her in a morgue.

Sadly true .. I wonder how those parents whose kids never got a chance to run away feel? .. two sides to a sad coin .. sleep well ..

#73 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Posted Image
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#74 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Posted Image

Bingo. It goes without saying the mental health system in the US badly needs an overhaul...even the halfway competent psychs are the pharmaceutical companies' bitches...and what they prescribe to these younger kids more often than not causes a hell of a lot more issues via side effects than they treat. You want to know the honest truth of what could actually be a root cause in a lot of these incidents...it's not social media...it's the swiss cheese mental health system in this country.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#75 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Bingo. It goes without saying the mental health system in the US badly needs an overhaul...even the halfway competent psychs are the pharmaceutical companies' bitches...and what they prescribe to these younger kids more often than not causes a hell of a lot more issues via side effects than they treat. You want to know the honest truth of what could actually be a root cause in a lot of these incidents...it's not social media...it's the swiss cheese mental health system in this country.

It is not just the US.

Remember a couple of months back when Angus David Mitchell put together a kill list and was gunning down people in Burnaby with his rifle. The same rifle that had been seized by the Victoria Police several months earlier when he was detained under the Mental Health Act but was returned to him. The police had also investigated him twice on other threats before the killings.

The BC Coroners Service announced Monday it will hold a public inquest into the death of suspected double murderer Angus David Mitchell, shot and killed by RCMP in Maple Ridge after a manhunt last month.

The 26-year-old died in hospital on May 30, 2012, following a bullet exchange with members of the RCMP’s Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team.

The BC Coroners Service is mandated to hold an inquest into the death of anyone who dies while detained by or in the custody of a peace officer.

“We took that fairly broadly,” coroner and spokeswoman Barbara McLintock said. “For practical purposes, he was detained — although for technical legal purposes, he hadn’t quite been yet.

“But this guy wasn’t going to get out of there without being arrested; they made that pretty clear.”

Mitchell — wanted in the shooting of his former landlord in Burnaby and a person of interest in the double homicide in a Burnaby sushi restaurant — was taken down just hours after Mounties issued an urgent public warning he was on the loose, armed and dangerous.

After a Maple Ridge resident called 911 to report Mitchell’s vehicle on the side of a rural road, police quickly surrounded the van with a tactical team, dogs and a helicopter. Attempts to get Mitchell to surrender were futile and the showdown ended in a hail of bullets fired by both police and Mitchell, who was struck and killed. No police were injured.

Questions have been raised over whether law enforcement officials — after three separate complaints against Mitchell — could have prevented his murderous rampage and ultimate death.

In September, Vancouver police arrested the former security guard after a tenant called 911 to an east-end home for a “breach of peace” complaint. A knife was reportedly seized, but no charges were laid.

In November, a Victoria security company also complained to police about Mitchell, who allegedly threatened his boss after being fired. According to a source, that same day, the firm also called the solicitor general’s office to report the incident, and urged the department to revoke Mitchell’s provincial licence as a security guard.

In February, Mitchell brought a rifle to a Saanich medical clinic. He was arrested under the Mental Health Act, and the gun was seized by Victoria police but returned a few weeks later.

“It’s pretty obvious there were issues. There were issues raised about the weapon and what the rules were in terms of when he got it back,” McLintock said.

Vancouver police are conducting an external review of the shooting and the circumstances leading up to it. The inquest date will largely depend on how quickly that’s completed.

Mitchell allegedly shot and killed a woman working at the Royal Oak Sushi House in Burnaby, along with the restaurant owner and a bystander May 27. Mitchell’s former landlord was shot and severely wounded two days later.

Police said Mitchell had a hit list with 10 other targets who had at one point had some conflict with him, dating back to 2009.

An inquest is a formal process that allows for public presentation of evidence from subpoenaed witnesses relating to a death.

While the jury can’t make any findings of legal responsibility, it can make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths under similar circumstances in the future.

And more detail on the Victoria incident:

Victoria police seized a firearm from suspected killer Angus Mitchell in February after he was arrested under the Mental Health Act.

Mitchell had taken his gun to a medical clinic in Saanich and made veiled threats.

He was released with no charges. Police returned the gun to him several weeks later without anyone making an application to court to have his firearms licence revoked.

Mitchell, 26, is believed to have embarked on a murderous rampage in Metro Vancouver this week, killing two people at a Burnaby sushi restaurant, shooting and wounding a former landlord and hunting others with whom he had grievances.

He died in a shootout with RCMP Wednesday in Maple Ridge that is now the subject of a Vancouver police department investigation.

VPD Const. Jana McGuinness confirmed Friday that Victoria police have asked VPD to review how the gun seizure and subsequent return was handled.

"The firearm was seized during a Mental Health Act apprehension. The review by Vancouver police will also examine whether [that] firearm is connected to the recent tragic incidents involving Mr. Mitchell," McGuinness said.

The Vancouver Sun has learned that Victoria police contacted the RCMP's National Weapons Enforcement Support Team to find out the process for applying to revoke Mitchell's gun licence.

Victoria police was told it didn't have enough evidence at the time, but should follow up with interviews of clinic staff members, as well as Mitchell's Victoria neighbours and former co-workers to see if there were grounds to apply to the court to keep the gun.

Police in Victoria have not disclosed what officers did to investigate Mitchell's suitability to get his gun back, but The Sun has confirmed the firearm was returned without the matter being heard in court.

The earlier Victoria incident occurred at the Uptown Medical Clinic in Saanich on Feb. 7 when Mitchell arrived, toting a rifle case, to see his doctor.

He was allowed to go into his appointment, but was told to leave the case in the lobby.

"There was an implied threat rather than a direct threat," Dr. Ian Bridger told the Victoria Times Colonist. "It was felt to be inappropriate."

Mitchell left the clinic and staff called Saanich police. The gunman was arrested under the Mental Health Act by Victoria police and his rifle was seized.

Mitchell, a former security guard, was exhibiting unstable and aggressive behaviour for months before he was killed this week, according to former co-workers and employers.

http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2F9gyyWFa
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#76 Dral

Dral

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

@IDFSpokesperson vs @AlqassamBrigades
Youtube anything to do with war or shooting
Google homemade bombs

Contribute to random mass shootings in the US? Probably tough to tell or prove... contribute to violence, murder, war, propaganda, bloodshed on a huge scale all around the world? Unquestionably

#77 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

All due respect Wetcoaster but I only mentioned the US system because I live in the US and that's the one I'm most familiar with. I knew nothing of the problems with the Canadian one, however after reading your enlightening info in the post above, I now feel even worse knowing the mental health systems elsewhere aren't worth a crap either.

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 15 December 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#78 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

The title says it all.

Do Facebook and/or Twitter etc. contribute to acts of senseless shootings that happen far too often in our part of the world?

There is social media in Canada and everywhere else in the world and there hasn't been any increase of senseless shootings in these parts of the world. Social media probably has less of an impact than violent movies and video games.

Posted Image

#79 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

No, idiots contribute to mass killings in USA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.