The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chicago 2010 vs. Boston 2011

Riviera82

I just had a thought that might make for some mildly interesting discussion.

I wondered who would win if the 2010 version of the Blackhawks met the 2011 version of the Bruins in the Stanley Cup Final.

Obviously it's just speculation because these two teams were never quite this good in the same season before or after their respective championships. If there's one thing they have in common, it's that they both knocked the Canucks out in relatively embarrassing fashion.

Ok...Discuss.

The Bruins had Thomas, but they also needed Game 7 to beat Montreal, Tampa Bay, and a Vancouver Canucks team with virtually all their top six forwards and top four defensemen injured. If the 2010 Hawks had the chance to play Boston, they would likely beat the Bruins in six games because they weren't so heavily reliant on their goalie.

Byfuglien vs. Chara would be an epic battle, though.

I think the Bruins would have ultimately taken it. I remember a lot of teams had issues with Byfuglien in front of the net, but with Chara i think that it would have been interesting to see the battles in front of the net. Thomas is better than Crawford by leaps and bounds, the Bruins had a physical team that could finish. I think the Hawks would have been completely worn down, and would have trouble scoring goals against the Bruins.

I think the Bruins would have ultimately taken it. I remember a lot of teams had issues with Byfuglien in front of the net, but with Chara i think that it would have been interesting to see the battles in front of the net. Thomas is better than Crawford by leaps and bounds, the Bruins had a physical team that could finish. I think the Hawks would have been completely worn down, and would have trouble scoring goals against the Bruins.

Niemi was not nearly as strong as Thomas in goal but I would still lean towards the Blackhawks winning. They had scoring all throughout their lineup and plenty of size and toughness as well. Also count the fact that Chicago was a terrific home team and that if the two versions of these teams met in the Final, Chicago would be granted home ice advantage.

I'm also gonna go with the Hawks. Bruins had a decent team but Chicago was stacked. Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, Keith, etc. Also this was back before the Hawks became soft. They used to have quite a bit of toughness in the lineup. The Bruins barely made it past some teams in 2011.

Archived