49 replies to this topic

#31 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

And I'm not sure why he would want to go to Philly in the first place seeing as he would be in the exact same spot (Schenn) before Hodgson got traded.

The thing about it is that here, the claims were delusional - only Hodgson's agent and hockey halfwits like Gallagher could take the idea that Kesler should be third to a rookie seriously.

Kesler becomes Philly's top center - Schenn and Talbot are good young players but nowhere near ready to challenge Kesler for minutes, Rinaldo likewise. Couturier comes this way in that deal - Philly has wanted Kesler since they offer-sheeted him ages ago - I don't see why Kesler would object to that deal - he'd be #1, and playing with that group of wingers.

Edited by oldnews, 19 December 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#32 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

To Philly
Kesler
Ballard
Cannauton
2014 first

To Van
Schenn Brothers
Couturier

Edited by eretz canucks, 19 December 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#33 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

To Philly
Kesler
Ballard
Cannauton
2014 first

To Van
Schenn Brothers
Couturier

This ain't bad. Although I think the only way Philly will trade both Schenns AND Couturier is if Edler is coming as well. Maybe we can work out some kind of blockbuster

To Vancouver: Luke & Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, 2013 1st

To Philly: Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler, Keith Ballard, Yann Sauve

Kesler > Couturier
Edler = Brayden
Ballard > or = Luke
Sauve < 1st

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#34 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

L Schenn isn't hood enough to replace Edler, we'd be too weak on D, buy yeah Philly would be more inclined for sure, if Edler was coming their way

#35 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

L Schenn isn't hood enough to replace Edler, we'd be too weak on D, buy yeah Philly would be more inclined for sure, if Edler was coming their way

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - B. Schenn - Kassian
Higgins - Couturier - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Lapierre

Hamhuis - Bieksa
L. Schenn - Garrison
Tanev - Connauton

Luongo
Schneider

That still isn't too bad. We can always trade Luongo for a top 4 D man or get one from free agency.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 19 December 2012 - 10:45 PM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#36 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

SSM

I like what you've done there, not sure that is a championship defense though- it depends which D we get in a Luongo Trade

#37 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,484 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

To Philly
Kesler
Ballard
Cannauton
2014 first

To Van
Schenn Brothers
Couturier

Philly wouldn't do it. Edler would have to be in somehow, and I would rather include Edler than Kesler to be honest, having 2 top flight center's is so important for a cup it seems nowadays.

zackass.png

#38 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I think there is more of a cap problem than one in the measurement of quality and equality of trade.
Posted Image

#39 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

If you aren't aware, Connolly hasn't scored a playoff goal since Moses wore short pants.
Posted Image

#40 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

If you aren't aware, Connolly hasn't scored a playoff goal since Moses wore short pants.

Moses just wasn't himself in '06 :sadno:

Jagermeister.jpg

#41 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Moses wore short pants?
The chicken crows thrice. The sheep will bring trouble.

#42 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

And Malhotra has been better since his catastrophic eye injury? Pre-injury Malhotra was sensational and suited the perfect role but now he just needs to retire. He's going down the same route that Bryan Berrard went through. Where's Berrard now?

Connolly was a good player in Buffalo for a number of seasons. Defensively sound and able to contribute.

#43 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,964 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

And Malhotra has been better since his catastrophic eye injury? Pre-injury Malhotra was sensational and suited the perfect role but now he just needs to retire. He's going down the same route that Bryan Berrard went through. Where's Berrard now?

Connolly was a good player in Buffalo for a number of seasons. Defensively sound and able to contribute.

-14 and 37 points for someone who is supposed to be a top line center doesn't sound 'defensively sound and able to contribute' to me.

#44 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

If you want to replace Manny, I think the consensus on this board is that you can find someone better than Connolly for that role.
Posted Image

#45 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

If you want to replace Manny, I think the consensus on this board is that you can find someone better than Connolly for that role.

And cheaper than Connolly as well. I'd rather go with what we have than take back Connolly as a piece in a trade since the chances of him helping us enough to offset his cap hit is smaller than I'd like. Sure, he's a UFA this summer and might take a lesser deal, but he also might walk and go somewhere else turning into a rental that didn't make us any better.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#46 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Until his head turned to mush from too many concussions!

#47 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

And Malhotra has been better since his catastrophic eye injury? Pre-injury Malhotra was sensational and suited the perfect role but now he just needs to retire.

True. There was a marked drop off in his faceoff results from his first season here to his second. In 2010 - 11 he won a whopping 61.7% of the faceoffs he took in the regular season (pre-injury). Last year he dropped down to 58.5% success rating. The Canucks should get rid of this bum.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 22 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#48 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

This ain't bad. Although I think the only way Philly will trade both Schenns AND Couturier is if Edler is coming as well. Maybe we can work out some kind of blockbuster

To Vancouver: Luke & Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, 2013 1st

To Philly: Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler, Keith Ballard, Yann Sauve

At first glance, I could live with this, however, there are a couple of issues I see with this deal.

1.) From a Canucks' perspective, they get Luke Schenn for three more years at a pretty reasonable cap hit, while Brayden Schenn and Couturier would each have a year remaining on their "EL" contracts, so on the whole this would be a big cap hit win for the Canucks.

The Flyers are taking back about $4 million in immediate extra cap hit in this deal, and Edler would be expecting a significant raise (next season, assuming he doesn't get an extra RFA year added by the new CBA) in order to stay, no? There might have to be some kind of an adjustment made to even things out a bit, like an additional contract going to the Canucks, or perhaps just not include Ballard in this trade. He could be moved in a different deal.

As it sits, if the Flyers got Edler they would not have a great need for Ballard. And if they were going to try and unload $4 million or so in cap in order to take Ballard, I'm not sure what's left that would be acceptable to the Canucks. I don't see the Flyers moving Meszaros, or Hartnell in this deal.

2.) In addition to this, I believe the Flyers are already over the 50 allowed contracts (51), so this could also be another reason that the Canucks would have to take back an additional contract, or perhaps just not include Sauve in the deal (A small point. Perhaps Holgren would be okay with it and would dump a contract elsewhere).

3.) With regard to 1st round picks, the Flyers are giving up a number of young, very promising players for players who have some mileage on them and a certain amount of risk. I could see the Flyers wanting a conditional Canucks' 1st in this deal, and not giving up their own.

Gillis would not want to trade the 2013 pick, so Holmgren would have to be content with a conditional Canucks' 2014 1st. If the Flyers did include a conditional pick, I could see it being a 2nd.

Assuming Edler chose to not re-sign with the Flyers, they could become very big losers in this deal. For this reason, I could see the 2nd being conditional on Edler re-signing, and it would probably have to be a 2014 pick, unless the Flyers signed Edler prior to the 2013 draft, in which case it would be Holmgren's choice of the 2013 pick or the 2014 pick.

To Vancouver: Luke & Brayden Schenn, Sean Couturier, 2013/14 2nd - conditional on Edler re-signing with the Flyers, (potentially, other salary cap/contract dump contracts, depending on whether Ballard and Sauve are kept in the deal)

To Philly: Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler, Vancouver's 2014 1st - conditional on Edler not re-signing with the Flyers, (Keith Ballard, Yann Sauve - only in other contract/salary dump contracts are added to the Flyers offer)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#49 bohonos76

bohonos76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

:shock:

It's terrible for us.

- Kadri and Bozak we could get Lu.
- Lupul is a top 6 forward with a big contract.
- Connolly & Komisarek are cap dumps and hold no value to us.

Huge no.

Change it to Phaneuf, Kessel, and Gardiner/Rielly and it would be more fair.

Kessel only brings one ball to the table. Wouldn't want a one-balled player playing for the canucks... leave him in his misery in Toronto!

#50 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Kessel only brings one ball to the table. Wouldn't want a one-balled player playing for the canucks... leave him in his misery in Toronto!

Sami Salo only had one-ball and he was amazing for us....
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.