The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van - Nash, Van -Tor

Alright first trade proposal, this one will deal with Edler and Luongo theoretically being dealt.

Nash:

D - Alex Edler (Nashville needs big left side defenseman to replace Suter)

Van:

C - Colin Wilson (7th overall in 2008, zomg he went before CODIEZ! Hasn't really had the chance to put up offensive numbers in Nashville, great 3rd line centre)

D - Mattias Ekholm (Young, big Swedish defenseman. He's also a point producer. Needs to put on some weight, only 6'4'' 180 lbs)

2nd deal:

Tor:

G - Roberto Luongo

LW - Mason Raymond (Bure/Nonis drafted him, maybe they like him cause I sure as hell don't)

Van:

C - Tyler Bozak (47 points last year, versatile centre. Could take 3rd line centre, 2nd while Kes is out)

F - Nazem Kadri (Toronto's top forward prospect. PPG in the AHL)

D - Stuart Percy (Leafs' first rounder in 2011, promising offensive defenseman)

Vancouver gains 2 young defensive prospects, while giving up a roster player in Edler. Vancouver does this as Garrison can be moved to the left side to take over for Edler, and Ballard can hopefully take on more minutes. At worse we sign a defenseman to round out our 6. Ekholm will inevitably be one of those Nashville produced defenseman that turns out to be a stud, just needs to add 20 lbs.

Vancouver also gets 2 possible 3rd line centre options in Wilson, Bozak. If it's true Kesler is going to be out for months, then we have options for the 2nd line centre as well. Vancouver also gets Kadri, a dynamic forward who has only ever struggled with Toronto media.

Nashville gets their much needed Suter replacement in Edler, and Toronto gets the goalie they have lacked for a decade.

I like the Toronto deal but any chance we could get Biggs instead of Percy?

The Nashville trade is not bad either, if there was no chance we could sign Edler than I wouldn't mind it. Wilson still hasn't hit his full potential and Ekholm as you say is big and has some good upside. I do think we might be able to get something a little better than that though honestly, maybe not since he is unsigned but it depends where and when we trade him.

Overall a good proposal.

You Sir,

know how to make a good proposal!

Edler as a signed 50pt defenceman is worth way more than Wilson, and Ekholm, but unsigned, this seems fair. The Toronto trade also gives us a lot of youth and Bozak and Wilson play 2 very different games, giving us a lot of versatility.

I know a lot of CDC'ers aren't sold on Kadri, but he is able to play both Wing, and Centre, and is the playmaker that guys like Kassian need. These trades greatly increase our prospect pool, while also giving us players that can produce/fill roles now. Percy is an added bonus and could fill in as a bottom pair d-man with Tanev, or replace Ballard if we manage to move him somewhere.

Great job!

I like the Toronto deal but any chance we could get Biggs instead of Percy?

The Nashville trade is not bad either, if there was no chance we could sign Edler than I wouldn't mind it. Wilson still hasn't hit his full potential and Ekholm as you say is big and has some good upside. I do think we might be able to get something a little better than that though honestly, maybe not since he is unsigned but it depends where and when we trade him.

Overall a good proposal.

I definitely like the thought process of adding young, almost NHL-ready prospects (Ekholm, Kadri, Percy) and decent, young forwards who have already made the team (Bozak, Wilson) for roster pieces like Lu and Edler, but the question on my mind is, would this Paul Holmgren-esque move bring guys who can play right away?

Now I don't know too much about the prospects but from what I've read I think Ekholm would be a really nice addition who could soon sub for Edler's spot; however, I'd hesitate to move for Kadri unless he shows that he's ready to play an offensive role as a play maker in the NHL (I'd still want him to play in the NHL for awhile, AHL point-per-game players aren't guaranteed to make it); I'd also want someone slightly more proven to be honest, since this team should aspire to win now. Wilson, Bozak and Percy are solid roster players, though probably more complementary additions.

Overall I like where this move could bring the team

The Edler gap is short term if Ekholm can develop into what I think he can be in the next year or so. It's difficult if not impossible to replace the 50 points Edler brings to our D. I am being optimistic in hoping Garrison can bring 40 points playing Edler's left side, while Ballard can have an increased role and take on more minutes. Tanev might even be ready to slot in that top 4 right side. We get youth all around, on top of greatly adding to our offensive depth.

These moves probably don't get us a cup this year. Luongo has to be moved though, 5.3 for a back up is steep. Edler is best moved before we lose him for nothing or next to nothing. A year from now if these deals go through, I fully expect Ekholm to be in our 6, Wilson to be our 3rd centre while Bozak and Kadri both a part of our offense.

Long term this keeps us competitive, rather than throwing 6mil + at Edler and retaining Luongo's 5.3m cap hit. Also in terms of cap we lose Luongo's 5.3, Raymond's 2.3, and Edler's 3.5. That's 11mil in cap space to sign another D if needed.

^ Good point.

Once the lockout ends we probably will have little time to sign him, and since we seem to be far apart on $$ for a long term deal, maybe we could sign him to a 1 year deal and go halfway on the cost. We want about 4.9 I think? And he probably wants upwards of 6 Million, so we could go 5.4 or 5.5 for 1 season then work out an extension over the season.

I think that idea might satisfy there camp too, cause if Edler can play really take hold of that #1 spot on our team he will be worth more, and from what I know he really likes it here and would like to stay aslong as he is compensated fairly.

Thoughts?

I love you Ossi, I haven't read a good trade proposal in awhile. Props to you sir.

As to the trades themselves, I like the Luongo deal and I think it's fair for both sides. We get a top forward prospect, a third line center, and a defensive prospect while trading away an elite goalie that nobody likes anymore (:( love you lou)

However I'm not sure that I would want to do the Edler deal if he re-signs, but if he is unsigned then I see that as a good trade for a rental defenseman.

Ekholm and Wilson for Edler seems like a large underpayment unless Ekholm is a stud D man that can crack the Canucks top 6 now

Wilson is good but may top out at a great third line center, he could also be a kesler type who knows?

What I don't like about a lot of these deals is that we are giving up the best player and projecting how our return players my play years into the future. These trades are risky.

Ekholm and Wilson for Edler seems like a large underpayment unless Ekholm is a stud D man that can crack the Canucks top 6 now

Wilson is good but may top out at a great third line center, he could also be a kesler type who knows?

What I don't like about a lot of these deals is that we are giving up the best player and projecting how our return players my play years into the future. These trades are risky.

One thing I might change, is switching Ekholm for Blum, and Watson, and adding a few pieces. The Toronto trade is pretty spot-on though, so I won't change that.

Nash:

D - Alex Edler (Nashville needs big left side defenseman to replace Suter)

LW/RW- Chris Higgins (Gives Nashville more tenacity/goal-scoring ability, replaces some of the offensive punch, left by Wilson)

C- Jordan Schroeder (Refills Nashville's prospect pool a bit, and could step into their line-up this season. Schroeder, in Vancouver would get lost in the depth chart, behind Bozak,Wilson, Kesler, and Lapierre)

Van:

C - Colin Wilson (7th overall in 2008, Hasn't really had the chance to put up offensive numbers in Nashville, great 3rd line centre)

C/W - Austin Watson (18th overall in 2010, A two-way player who put up PPG stats last year in the OHL. Is a big-body presence, who's grit along the boards is replaced by Schroeder's speed and playmaking ability in Nashville)

D - Jonathon Blum (Former captain of the Vancouver Giants, Blum is a very good young D-Man who could fill a top-4/6 role. He was a minus-14 last year and is set to become a RFA this Summer. His contract is expiring, and his point totals are down. Now would be the best time to have him return to Vancouver where he lit up the WHL.

Analysis:

Alex Edler ----> Colin Wilson, Jonathon Blum (RFA rights)

Chris Higgins ----> Austin Watson

Archived