The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Canucks-FLAMES & Canucks - Canes

YeS U ARE SO RIGHT , buddy

raymond and ballard are very important to the canucks , if we trade them we will have no chance at the cup.

we dont need guys like babchuk that are 6 foot five 5 or heavy weights like Stewart.

the canucks can never trade raymond and ballard

raymond and ballard for $4.675>>>>>>>>4 players at 3.6 million

man you should try to get a job with canucks management , this stuff is so simple for you

:lol: Your not really seeing the entire picture are you?

Ballard > Babchuk

Raymond > Stewart

Adding 2 minor leaguers prospects and saving 1 Million (actually its a 2.million dollar saving,,,sutter bros are on a 2 way) in cap space we won't use doesn't compensate for that.

million dollar saving,,,

We have guys who can fight (Weise, Volpatti, Pinnizzotto, Lappy) Though I am a Raymond hater I would rather have that offensive depth than more 4th liners.

And if size is the biggest factor then Alberts should be on the 1st pair with Hamhuis no? Babchuck is a good 3rd pair defensemen but not better than Ballard, he has size and a big shot but other than that what is so special? He's not that mobile. Those are the only things he is better than Ballard at, Ballard is better everywhere else. Then when you consider the chemistry he has with Tanev and how much better it makes both of them I would much rather have Ballard.

And I don't see Babchuck or Stewart as the missing pieces to a championship either buddy.

once again you are right, u should be a GM... it so simple for you .. ballard is waaaaaay better then babchuk

ballard has an amazing 36 goals in 506 nhl games and Babsuck only has a messily 36 goals in 282 nhl games ... ur right ballards better,

again ur right.... ballards 4.2 million dollar contract is a bargain, compared to babsucks 2.5 mill..... ,ballards career plus/minus of -1.is way better then Babsuks career average of +15

Lol goals, great stat to base who is better.

Babchuck gets PP time and lots of it, most times on the 1st unit. Ballard gets 0 PP time, like I said Babchuck has a big shot and scores with it alot. This stat isn't impressive once you look at the circumstances. And in his years with the Flames, 6 of his 10 Goals have come on the PP, now think about how little powerplay time you get in a game and how much time you are 5 on 5. Again the stats isn't as impressive as you think.

Then +/-. I'm think that +/- is a useful stat, when circumstances are fair, in this case I don't think they are at all. Again take other factors into consideration and you will see the stat nearly as impressive as you think. Ballard has played on worse teams, and has been used in a primary defensive role on those terrible teams. whereas Babchuck has been on better teams and has been used in more offensive roles.

In Ballard's career with our club he is a +10, and that is on the 3rd pair. A much more fair comparison.

So aside from his shooting what is Babchuck actually better at? Is Babchuck a better shot blocker? No. Is Babchuck a better skater? No. Who fights more? Ballard. He is a better 5 on 5? Ballard has only had 7 PP goals in his career, so the other 29 have come 5 on 5. Whereas 19 of Babchucks 36 have come on the PP, which leaves 17 that came 5 on 5. So even looking at goals (Which was your bread and butter in your last post) Ballard is even better in that area too, so 5 on 5, I would say Ballard.

So if Ballard is better in every area, except having a big shot. Then you look at the huge intangable (Him and Tanev) Who would you rather have? The choice seems clear to me.

As for Brett and Brody Sutter. Brett is 25, not really a prospect anymore and is an energy depth forward at the very best. Brody is 21, was a 7th Round pick and wasn't even close to PPG in Junior.

Not exactly 2 Blue Chippers.

Further to your point, it potentially makes things worse.

These deals, as outlined, would put the Canucks up to 50 contracts, no? Assuming that the Luongo deal goes through, there could be two to three contracts (or more) coming back from the other team (assuming Luoongo is the only guy leaving town).

So who gets dumped/waived/bought out from these guys, the guys from the Luongo deal, or are currently on the roster?

regards,

G.

I like Raymond - I think there are far too many Canuck's fans who deride him endlessly - and a lot of teams in the NHL who he could contribute a lot to. I think his biggest problem in Vancouver (aside from a broken back) is that he is a natural left wing on a roster rich at that position - he tends to wind up playing his off side, and fans here are hungry for a power forward and will probably never be satisfied with Raymond. I like him - as good as he is, there is a perception that he has a problem fitting in here.

I think the OP has identified a very good player to go after.

Babchuk is under-rated here. I'd like to have him for a number of reasons. Good size, good hockey sense, very heavy shot, relatively physical with a mean streak - and a right side guy, something the Canucks are short on. I think he'd be a very good fit with a good balance of things to offer. The only problem I see - Bieksa, Garrison, Tanev. What gives?

Still if people look at Babchuk's career - it would be a very opportune time to go after him. He's a good risk and somewhat overlooked. He has stood out on some bad teams, putting up some exceptional +/- numbers relative to his team-mates.

Hockey is going to cancelled this season.

Raymond and Malhotra are free agents. Replace them each with guys making 1 million and there is around 3 million saved.

Higgins and Lapierre are free agents and will probably get a raise. Add 1 million.

So we have about 2 million more in cap space bringing us to about 4.5 BUT we still need to resign Edler who will command a 3 million dollar raise.

We are not in a good cap position.

Archived