106 replies to this topic

#1 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,126 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Congrats to The Simpsons on winning the CDC greatest television show of the past 10 years. Not sure I agree with the winner, but the people have spoken and thats what matters. Discuss if you agree or not.
Posted Image

#2 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

POPULAR

Futurama > Simpsons

FWYIerW.png

#3 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

The Simpsons has something going for it that a lot of the other shows did not. A wide audience. How many of us grew up watching the Simpsons? How many prime time shows have children watching and thoroughly enjoying them? It's got jokes for people of all ages. That's one of the things that has always made The Simpsons stand out imo.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#4 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Futurama > Simpsons

I hate you, but I agree.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#5 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

It's been said to death but new Simpsons is no good.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#6 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

I hate you, but I agree.

I don't hate you. :(

FWYIerW.png

#7 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Futurama > Simpsons

Pretty well this.

Simpson's has uncountable bad seasons, Futurama has none.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#8 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

I haven't watched the simpsons in 10 years but I'm pretty sure every cartoon sitcom these days can thank the simpsons for their success and good fortune. Whatever thats worth. And they all play off each other so it's all good.

#9 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

While I still think Seinfeld is the best show ever, I definitely agree with Simpsons winning this tourney. As an above poster said, it has jokes for everyone. Sure, the newest seasons aren't so good. But in it's prime it was easily regarded as one of the best shows of all time and definitely the best cartoon of all time. Simpsons also inspired so many other shows.

It is truly a TV legacy.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#10 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's impossible for most to distinguish between shows made pre and post 2002 and thus it had an unfair advantage. The show had it's heyday in the 90's and to this day the vast majority of re-runs, virtually available 24hrs a day with basic cable, are from that era.
Posted Image

#11 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,672 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

(゜-゜)┬─┬

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edited by avelanch, 15 December 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#12 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

(゜-゜)┬─┬

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Calm your rage Av! I feels it too.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#13 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Thought Workaholics was going to take it.
This tourney is such loose butthole.

#14 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Thought Workaholics was going to take it.
This tourney is such loose butthole.

Very loose butthole...

#15 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

The past 10 years? As in from 2002-2012? Really? In my opinion, The Simpsons stopped being funny around Season 14 and Groening needs to just focus a lot more energy on Futurama. If I had to vote for any show being the greatest of the past 10 years it would be South Park for no other reason than Matt and Trey just don't give a damn who they piss off. The Coon episodes were awesome, the Cthulhu one in particular. The Simpsons' humor is very juvenile, and given the age group that posts for the most part here on CDC I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that a show past its prime, rated PG and which is very obviously running out of material (24 seasons, they do get longevity points from me, but I digress) would grab the top spot. Either that or the more educated TV viewers just didn't vote. If you had asked this same question in 1998, I'd agree with the result...however this is 2012, and the last ten years have had far better shows with far more entertainment value than The Simpsons.

Edit: South Park would get my vote in the comedy/animation genre, however Fringe takes the overall title, with Dexter being a close second. There are better shows on than stagnant TV cartoons, people.

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 16 December 2012 - 07:16 AM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#16 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

While I still think Seinfeld is the best show ever, I definitely agree with Simpsons winning this tourney. As an above poster said, it has jokes for everyone. Sure, the newest seasons aren't so good. But in it's prime it was easily regarded as one of the best shows of all time and definitely the best cartoon of all time. Simpsons also inspired so many other shows.

It is truly a TV legacy.

K...but "in it's prime" isn't what was asked...what was asked was, what is the greatest show of the last ten years. Jokes for everyone...so ****ing what? The jokes and quality of episodes have declined over the last ten years, so it boggles the mind how anyone could actually vote for the show to be the best over that frame of time.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#17 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

Last of the Summer Wine is my favourite

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#18 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Last of the Summer Wine is my favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0i5nv2K_k

Ok THAT is a great show. ;) I still remember Frank Thornton from Are You Being Served?...granted when I was watching it it was in syndication, on PBS...but I've generally been a fan of anything he's been involved with...hard to believe he's 91 years old.
Posted Image

#19 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

The past 10 years? As in from 2002-2012? Really? In my opinion, The Simpsons stopped being funny around Season 14 and Groening needs to just focus a lot more energy on Futurama. If I had to vote for any show being the greatest of the past 10 years it would be South Park for no other reason than Matt and Trey just don't give a damn who they piss off. The Coon episodes were awesome, the Cthulhu one in particular. The Simpsons' humor is very juvenile, and given the age group that posts for the most part here on CDC I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that a show past its prime, rated PG and which is very obviously running out of material (24 seasons, they do get longevity points from me, but I digress) would grab the top spot. Either that or the more educated TV viewers just didn't vote. If you had asked this same question in 1998, I'd agree with the result...however this is 2012, and the last ten years have had far better shows with far more entertainment value than The Simpsons.

Edit: South Park would get my vote in the comedy/animation genre, however Fringe takes the overall title, with Dexter being a close second. There are better shows on than stagnant TV cartoons, people.

I see your Fringe/Dexter and raise you The Wire.

Posted Image

#20 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I see your Fringe/Dexter and raise you The Wire.

I'll see your The Wire and raise you Breaking Bad.
Posted Image

#21 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'll see your The Wire and raise you Breaking Bad.

I see your Breaking Bad and raise you Game of Thrones.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#22 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I see your Game of Thrones and raise you...

A COMBO BREAKER!!!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 16 December 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#23 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

I see your Game of Thrones and raise you House.
Posted Image

#24 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I see your Game of Thrones and raise you House.

I see your House and raise you "That Show With The Same Plot Every Episode Only With Different Actors".

Oh wait, that is House. Nvm.

FWYIerW.png

#25 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I see your House and raise you "That Show With The Same Plot Every Episode Only With Different Actors".

Oh wait, that is House. Nvm.

Still one of the best shows on TV.
Posted Image

#26 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,672 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

this man... this man knows what is up

#27 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

this man... this man knows what is up

Yeah well, that's like...your opinion, man.
Posted Image

#28 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

K...but "in it's prime" isn't what was asked...what was asked was, what is the greatest show of the last ten years. Jokes for everyone...so ****ing what? The jokes and quality of episodes have declined over the last ten years, so it boggles the mind how anyone could actually vote for the show to be the best over that frame of time.

It hasn't been bad over the last 10 years. Only the last few. So yeah it was still in it's prime for a good chunk of the last 10 years.

#29 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

It hasn't been bad over the last 10 years. Only the last few. So yeah it was still in it's prime for a good chunk of the last 10 years.

No...It's been bad for almost the last 6 or 7 years..so yeah..it's WAY past its prime. Sorry. Besides that there is no way in hell that The Simpsons was the best tv show over the last 10 years.
Posted Image

#30 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

No...It's been bad for almost the last 6 or 7 years..so yeah..it's WAY past its prime. Sorry. Besides that there is no way in hell that The Simpsons was the best tv show over the last 10 years.

Well that's your opinion. Many people liked the majority of the last 10 seasons, which would explain why Simpsons won this tournament.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.