The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE SIMPSONS = BEST SHOW

gmen81

Guest Gumballthechewy

If we're lucky we get the next installment by 2014.

I feel like I have a better chance of winning the lottery as a minor unable to purchase lottery tickets.

Critics' reviews of early Simpsons episodes praised the show for its wit, realism, and intelligence. In the late 1990s, around the airing of season ten, the tone and emphasis of the show began to change. Some critics started calling the show "tired". By 2000, some long-term fans had become disillusioned with the show and pointed to its shift from character-driven plots to what they perceived as an overemphasis on zany antics. The BBC noted "the common consensus is that The Simpsons' golden era ended after season nine", while Todd Leopold of CNN, in an article looking at its perceived decline, stated "for many fans [...] the glory days are long past." Jim Schembri of the The Sydney Morning Herald called the show "a cultural touchstone for at least two—possibly three—generations of couch potatoes", but claimed that the show has declined in quality. He attributed this decline in quality to an abandonment of character-driven storylines in favour of and overuse of celebrity cameo appearances and references to popular culture. Schembri wrote: "The central tragedy of The Simpsons is that it has gone from commanding attention to merely being attention seeking. It began by proving that cartoon characters don't have to be caricatures; they can be invested with real emotions. Now the show has in essence fermented into a limp parody of itself. Memorable story arcs have been sacrificed for the sake of celebrity walk-ons and punchline-hungry dialogue."

From Wikipedia.

Guest Gumballthechewy

A critic's report, he must be right! :lol:

Yeah the show isn't as good as it used to be, but it was still good up until a few seasons ago imo. That's exactly what all this is, opinion. Your opinion and my opinion are just as valid as the next person's.

Take me for example, I enjoy American Dad and (early) Family Guy (the newer they are the worst they get...) and I also enjoyed Ted. No one will agree with me here but whatever, they make me laugh.

I watch Simpons still, it has it's moments, but I personally think it's far from the best show on television.

In fact, and this is something I say often, there is no such thing as 'best' anything really, no 'best' tv show, no 'best' guitarist, no 'best' pie eater, it's more like 'personal favorite'.

Archived