The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE SIMPSONS = BEST SHOW

gmen81

The Simpsons has something going for it that a lot of the other shows did not. A wide audience. How many of us grew up watching the Simpsons? How many prime time shows have children watching and thoroughly enjoying them? It's got jokes for people of all ages. That's one of the things that has always made The Simpsons stand out imo.

While I still think Seinfeld is the best show ever, I definitely agree with Simpsons winning this tourney. As an above poster said, it has jokes for everyone. Sure, the newest seasons aren't so good. But in it's prime it was easily regarded as one of the best shows of all time and definitely the best cartoon of all time. Simpsons also inspired so many other shows.

It is truly a TV legacy.

The past 10 years? As in from 2002-2012? Really? In my opinion, The Simpsons stopped being funny around Season 14 and Groening needs to just focus a lot more energy on Futurama. If I had to vote for any show being the greatest of the past 10 years it would be South Park for no other reason than Matt and Trey just don't give a damn who they piss off. The Coon episodes were awesome, the Cthulhu one in particular. The Simpsons' humor is very juvenile, and given the age group that posts for the most part here on CDC I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that a show past its prime, rated PG and which is very obviously running out of material (24 seasons, they do get longevity points from me, but I digress) would grab the top spot. Either that or the more educated TV viewers just didn't vote. If you had asked this same question in 1998, I'd agree with the result...however this is 2012, and the last ten years have had far better shows with far more entertainment value than The Simpsons.

Edit: South Park would get my vote in the comedy/animation genre, however Fringe takes the overall title, with Dexter being a close second. There are better shows on than stagnant TV cartoons, people.

While I still think Seinfeld is the best show ever, I definitely agree with Simpsons winning this tourney. As an above poster said, it has jokes for everyone. Sure, the newest seasons aren't so good. But in it's prime it was easily regarded as one of the best shows of all time and definitely the best cartoon of all time. Simpsons also inspired so many other shows.

It is truly a TV legacy.

The past 10 years? As in from 2002-2012? Really? In my opinion, The Simpsons stopped being funny around Season 14 and Groening needs to just focus a lot more energy on Futurama. If I had to vote for any show being the greatest of the past 10 years it would be South Park for no other reason than Matt and Trey just don't give a damn who they piss off. The Coon episodes were awesome, the Cthulhu one in particular. The Simpsons' humor is very juvenile, and given the age group that posts for the most part here on CDC I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that a show past its prime, rated PG and which is very obviously running out of material (24 seasons, they do get longevity points from me, but I digress) would grab the top spot. Either that or the more educated TV viewers just didn't vote. If you had asked this same question in 1998, I'd agree with the result...however this is 2012, and the last ten years have had far better shows with far more entertainment value than The Simpsons.

Edit: South Park would get my vote in the comedy/animation genre, however Fringe takes the overall title, with Dexter being a close second. There are better shows on than stagnant TV cartoons, people.

Archived