71 replies to this topic

#31 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

First, let see how their development goes skill wise and chemistry wise before declaring them the next Chicago Blackhawks. They haven't even gone to playoffs yet and people have already declared them a dynasty.

There are no more "dynasties' in the post-lockout NHL, but there are elite teams. Edmonton definitely has the potential to be an elite team in a few years. They'll be fine skill wise and chemistry wise, now it all depends on whether or not they can improve their defense and goaltending, which they likely will.

#32 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

what do we have after sedin-sedin-burrows

ryan "im a puck hog" kesler
david "im not the same since the hit" booth
mayson "i only skate fast" raymond

canucks "great at nicknames" bradley

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#33 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

That's exactly what people said about the Penguins, and the Blackhawks.

It's also what people used to say about the Oilers. Back when people used to talk about future power houses, it was Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Edmonton.

Edmonton has been rebuilding for quite a while now.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#34 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

rather be the underdog then having a stacked team and choke in the playoff.........screw those negative nancy poster, no idea what they talking about......doubt they really real fans!

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 16 December 2012 - 06:08 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#35 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

It's also what people used to say about the Oilers. Back when people used to talk about future power houses, it was Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Edmonton.

Edmonton has been rebuilding for quite a while now.

Pittsburgh was pretty much rebuilding from 2002-2006
Chicago from 2003-2008
Edmonton from 2007-2012

It usually takes around 4-5 years before any results start to show. It's been a bit longer for the Oilers, but not by much.

#36 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

connauton is a plug. I was a fan but he is absolutely terrible. he's a team worst -10 on the wolves, and he can't even hat the puck out of his own zone most nights. and if you think his offensive abilities make up for his embarassing defensive game... wrong... our tanev has same amount of goals and more points along with a better plus minus

I believe that was the biggest knock against him going back to Junior and given the +/- and what you're telling us, it appears that part of his game hasn't improved.
Posted Image

#37 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I think there's alot of comments about Edm etc, people complaining about our 2 time president trophy team (which makes zero sense).

For those on Edm, yes the will one day have a terrific team. And today they are exciting, fast offensive. But as some have pointed out, they have a horrendous defensive group and so so goalie. Until that is solved they will have issues making the playoffs, and getting somewhere even if they do make it in.

Moreover, don't suggest Schultz is the answer, he is a rookie who's tearing it up in the AHL yes but he hasn't been hit by a guy like Lucic yet, dangled by a guy like Datysuk or had to handle two players up in his grill passing between his legs back and forth known as the Sedins.

In addition, they don;t have a whole lot of toughness/size that can play

And finally, very seldom can a young team develop quickly (ie 1.5 yrs) to usurp a team like the Canucks. Experience, leadership, dealing with good/bad streaks means something as does and more importantly, does playoff experience.

In 4 years after they've made it a couple years in a row, and have been knocked out, knocked around, they'll be ready to contend and our team will be aging so yes I agree, but 2013 no chance.

#38 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Pittsburgh was pretty much rebuilding from 2002-2006
Chicago from 2003-2008
Edmonton from 2007-2012

It usually takes around 4-5 years before any results start to show. It's been a bit longer for the Oilers, but not by much.

Edmonton has been rebuilding since the 90's, wake up. Just because they got a few top picks, doesn't mean they will all of a sudden win a cup. Also, team chemistry isn't a given and it definitely isn't automatic. This isn't NHL 2013.

Posted Image

#39 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Edmonton has been rebuilding since the 90's, wake up. Just because they got a few top picks, doesn't mean they will all of a sudden win a cup. Also, team chemistry isn't a given and it definitely isn't automatic. This isn't NHL 2013.

They went to the finals in 06...

Just because they weren't elite doesn't mean that they were rebuilding. They were a decent team in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Nobody said that chemistry is automatic. The fact that Hall-RNH-Eberle have played well together last year and in the AHL is enough proof that they'll be fine.

#40 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think this is an oilers fan thread... Should be deleted.
linden Vey Sig

#41 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

what do we have after sedin-sedin-burrows

ryan "im a puck hog" kesler
david "im not the same since the hit" booth
mayson "i only skate fast" raymond

Defence and goaltending. Two things Edmonton lacks that we have.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#42 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

They went to the finals in 06...

Just because they weren't elite doesn't mean that they were rebuilding. They were a decent team in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Nobody said that chemistry is automatic. The fact that Hall-RNH-Eberle have played well together last year and in the AHL is enough proof that they'll be fine.

One line doesn't carry a team to the cup. It's usually the team with the best depth.

#43 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

One line doesn't carry a team to the cup. It's usually the team with the best depth.

The Oilers have tons of depth up front. They need to work on the depth on the defense though. They aren't elite yet, but they have the potential to be if they add a solid d-man and a number one goaltender.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 16 December 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#44 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

The Oilers have tons of depth up front. They need to work on the depth on the defense though. They aren't elite yet, but they have the potential to be if they add a solid d-man and a number one goaltender.

I would argue that they don't have enough depth up front to get them to a cup, but I agree with the rest. But that's not very easy to get.

#45 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I think 2011 was our year and as we all know, it did not turn out. I do think we'll get back there though.
As for the Oilers, I predict they will make a conference final appearance 2 seasons from now, and get knocked out by the Canucks in 5 games.

#46 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I think 2011 was our year and as we all know, it did not turn out. I do think we'll get back there though.
As for the Oilers, I predict they will make a conference final appearance 2 seasons from now, and get knocked out by the Canucks in 5 games.

I could see this happening. It would be a great learning expierence for the young Oilers.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#47 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I could see this happening. It would be a great learning expierence for the young Oilers.

It would also be nice payback for those playoffs in the 80's and early 90's when the Oilers knocked us out every time.

#48 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

That's exactly what people said about the Penguins, and the Blackhawks.

Crosby and Malkin, and Toews and Kane are better than any of the players that the Oilers have.

People think they're going to be a contender next season? :lol:

Seriously people, watch these guys play before you make stupid calls like this. Crosby and Malkin were beasting in the NHL at age 18 and 20, and Toews captained his team to a cup at 22. Sorry, but none of the players that the Oilers have will be doing that anytime soon.

These guys are struggling to beat teams in the AHL. And their defensive games are horrible. They're letting in 4 and 5 goals a game. Not to mention that top 6 is even softer than the Canucks. They would get ground down to nothing in the playoffs. That's the difference between the Penguins and Oilers, the Penguins play like men, the Oilers still play like boys.

Last time I checked they don't have a Fleury or a Letang, and they don't have a Keith and Seabrook. Even though some people on here seem to think Schultz is already that good. I happen to think he'll be more of a Mike Green, but that's my opinion. Either way, Pittsburgh and Chicago didn't just win because they tanked, they won because they put together alot of good pieces on their cup teams. Alot needs to go right for that to happen. You can't just have all goal scorers.

Edited by DeNiro, 17 December 2012 - 12:39 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#49 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Defence and goaltending. Two things Edmonton lacks that we have.

true. our defence is loads better along with goaltending.
that being said, we need to win within the next 2-3 years, however given the balance with the rest of the league, it will be a tough battle

(kings, wild, oilers, blues)
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#50 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,334 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

that being said, we need to win within the next 2-3 years, however given the balance with the rest of the league, it will be a tough battle

Remember we can always trade for young guns or sign big name free agents over the next few years too.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#51 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

It will definitely be tough no matter what happens. And we can always trade to get younger. Though I agree, we'll need to win in the next couple of years. Basically while the Sedins are still PPG players.

#52 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

We won't even be the best team in the NW, Edmonton will be a powerhouse again.

lol Edmonton can't compete with our experience and depth. They will be 2-3 years from now, but not now. :bigblush: Silly man, Oilers are for kids!

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#53 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

I think we can take it in 2014. But

We need Healthy Kesler. Not 90% Kesler. It's 100% Kesler, and we also need another DMAN. As in a 50 point dman. Then we can make a huge run for the cup.

I am hoping a LUongo deal can land us a top 2 or top 3 defencemen.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#54 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

I hate how many top picks Oilers have gotten. It's a powerhouse in the making, they get a goalie; it's dangerous. They'll probably be drafting goalies here high up, if one is good enough.
Posted Image

#55 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

2. Daniel and Henrik. Sure, that's reasonable to expect that they'd want to play to win. They've been that way for several seasons now.

3. Schnieder. He will have had a year and a half as 'the man' and I believe will be starting to take over the 'superstar' role on the nucks as Henrik and Daniel start to age.
Hold your horses there buddy, Cory hasn't even played a season as THE starter in the league; I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment in case he can't handle the either season or falters.

4. Kassian. A big if, but IF he is able to start putting it all together, 2014 will be the start of it and he could play a major role in the playoffs. I do think his time in the AHL this year, as frustrating as its been at times for him is great, its allowing him to make mistakes outside the fish bowl. He will be a better player because of it.
We can all hope so; he was brought here with big expectations on those broad shoulders so the team would hope that he could become that game-breaking power-forward to propel the team in the trench warfare that is the playoffs.

Or, frankly speaking we could have another Bernie on our hands (hoping he's more Lucic and less Stonehands Steve).

5. Edler (and yes I believe he will be here) - Similar to Schnieder,I beleive he will start to emerge as the player we have seen as the all star he is and jump to the next level. Not to mention I believe on the whole our D corps will be one of the best in the league. Hammer/Bieksa, Garrison/Edler, Connaughton/Tanev/Sauve with a vet as depth.
I'd be more interested to see how he and Garrison work together; he's pretty solid offensively, but if Jason can cover his mistakes and work well with Alex on the PP then the Top 4 would be REALLY strong (I think Ballard - Garrison would work really well though).

6. Kesler, Booth, Bieksa - Booth learned his role on the team and found his spot should be the key here, with Kes' healthy return close second. Secondary scoring would be fixed if the 2nd unit can finally gel.

I think though one of the biggest question marks would be the return that the team can get for Lu; that has the chance to make or break the team's chances in the future. If the team can get some strong young pieces that can almost play right away or a young play making forward for the Top 6 then I'd really like the team's chances. Another key factor would be whether Jensen makes the team in that year. If he does I think he could step in and put up a Calder-challenging season, given that he gets offensive minutes.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#56 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:17 AM

I see the Islanders as being as close to a contender as the Oilers. They've got more of the pieces you need to be a contender.

Tavares, Strome, Niedereiter, Hamonic, De Haan, Reinhart, Grabner, Okposo, Kabanov, Koskinen, Cizakas.

If they can get an owner with some money, or move to another market. They'll be a dangerous team.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#57 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

every year is supposedly "our year" these predictions are pointless

Firstly, read my first sentence, you clearly didn't even get that far. Good for you

Secondly, if its so pointless, why do you bother responding? If something is a waste of your time, why are you wasting more responding?

:shock: :picard:

#58 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

I think we can take it in 2014. But

We need Healthy Kesler. Not 90% Kesler. It's 100% Kesler, and we also need another DMAN. As in a 50 point dman. Then we can make a huge run for the cup.

I am hoping a LUongo deal can land us a top 2 or top 3 defencemen.

I don't think we need a second 50 pt Dman. We Need a healthy Kesler, playing the way he did against Nashville for an entire playoffs.

We need a healthy Edler, playing to his abilities.

And then team D. Bieksa, Garrison can add in the other offence from the back end. And if Connaughton improves, his shot can play a big role on the PP.

#59 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

2. Daniel and Henrik. Sure, that's reasonable to expect that they'd want to play to win. They've been that way for several seasons now.

3. Schnieder. He will have had a year and a half as 'the man' and I believe will be starting to take over the 'superstar' role on the nucks as Henrik and Daniel start to age.
Hold your horses there buddy, Cory hasn't even played a season as THE starter in the league; I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment in case he can't handle the either season or falters.

4. Kassian. A big if, but IF he is able to start putting it all together, 2014 will be the start of it and he could play a major role in the playoffs. I do think his time in the AHL this year, as frustrating as its been at times for him is great, its allowing him to make mistakes outside the fish bowl. He will be a better player because of it.
We can all hope so; he was brought here with big expectations on those broad shoulders so the team would hope that he could become that game-breaking power-forward to propel the team in the trench warfare that is the playoffs.

Or, frankly speaking we could have another Bernie on our hands (hoping he's more Lucic and less Stonehands Steve).

5. Edler (and yes I believe he will be here) - Similar to Schnieder,I beleive he will start to emerge as the player we have seen as the all star he is and jump to the next level. Not to mention I believe on the whole our D corps will be one of the best in the league. Hammer/Bieksa, Garrison/Edler, Connaughton/Tanev/Sauve with a vet as depth.
I'd be more interested to see how he and Garrison work together; he's pretty solid offensively, but if Jason can cover his mistakes and work well with Alex on the PP then the Top 4 would be REALLY strong (I think Ballard - Garrison would work really well though).

6. Kesler, Booth, Bieksa - Booth learned his role on the team and found his spot should be the key here, with Kes' healthy return close second. Secondary scoring would be fixed if the 2nd unit can finally gel.

I think though one of the biggest question marks would be the return that the team can get for Lu; that has the chance to make or break the team's chances in the future. If the team can get some strong young pieces that can almost play right away or a young play making forward for the Top 6 then I'd really like the team's chances. Another key factor would be whether Jensen makes the team in that year. If he does I think he could step in and put up a Calder-challenging season, given that he gets offensive minutes.

I disagree with your comment on Schnieder. He's just usurped an all star, vezina candidate, gold medal wining goalie sir. Yes still to prove but I think its a pretty good bet. Moreover, I was flamed 2 years ago for calling out the fact he is the better goalie, so I'll stick to my guns on that, and on his ability.

#60 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

Firstly, read my first sentence, you clearly didn't even get that far. Good for you

Secondly, if its so pointless, why do you bother responding? If something is a waste of your time, why are you wasting more responding?

:shock: :picard:

yes i did and at the end of it you say barring injuries etc. so you're basically agreeing that nobody has any idea what will happen in a couple years but wrote a book about what you think will happen anyways, cool story bro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.