The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

KHL and WHA ready to devour weakened NHL

pomorick

The way the NHL has handled bargaining has weakened the NHL. Across the sea the KHL is expanding

and growing stronger. Teams in Prague and Bratislava now. What's next Helsinki, Oslo, Berlin and Stockholm?? And at home I am sure a few Billionaires like RIM's Jim Basille are rubbing their hands

together and envisioning a new WHA.

If I were an NHL owner and had hundreds of millions of dollars on the line I would be worried at least a little. One bad turn of events and you lose a hundred or even hundreds of millions?

It's a game of chicken now. Hire professional atheletes to play chicken against. It you play chicken against them and you win, you lose!!!!

lol at the "billions of dollars" that RIM has.

Do you really think they would do something that drastic, especially when the company is on a major decline and is putting all of their eggs in one basket? (BB10) That phone could potentially bankrupt RIM. And IMO, the odds of that are > 50%

Have you seen how bad RIM has been doing the last year/2 years???

Do you really think they would do something that drastic, especially when the company is on a major decline and is putting all of their eggs in one basket? (BB10) That phone could potentially bankrupt RIM. And IMO, the odds of that are > 50%

Ready to devour the weakened NHL. I love it! Like it's a gazelle lying under a couple of lions or a seal lying in wait for the great white to return.

Poetic.

My question to the naysayers. How can this lockout do nothing but seriously hurt the NHL at this point? I'm not tied to the league. When it is on it truly is the best hockey on Earth. No doubt.

But why can't another league step in if the NHL fails to change?

How can owners like Jim Jacobs (aka Beelzebub) and Craig Leopold (Twofer Tony) stand there and discuss salary size and contract length when they have done what they've done? Does their hypocrisy know no bounds?

How can the league support the signing of Shane Doan to Phoenix when a municipal report was pending from Glendale city council? A team that reported losses of $20 million last year.

Instead of moving Phoenix and say Florida to Hamilton and Quebec City, or even Seattle, they keep this money pits in the league. And subsidize them.

If the league wants to wade out into the Everglades of uncertainy and certain decertifications, they must accept the consequences

If the NHL lockout continues into next season and the players decertify anything can happen. The KHL could sign some big name players to long term contracts with no escape clauses. If the players decertify there cannot be a draft so again KHL could sign all the 18 year olds who would have been drafted. Other players will look at the opportunity to play for a league that plays hockey every year verses waiting for the National Lockout League to start again.

Last year the NHL had revenues of 3.3 Billion. There is money to be made and a new WHA is a possibility. Maybe some NHL owners will break away from the NHL and start the league. They will already be in a legal and financially messy situation. Why stick with Jacobs and Bettman. Join a new elite professional league with better management and a better financial plan.

The NHL will always be the highest level for talent, money and exposure.

I do, although, see other leagues overseas becoming stronger and slightly closing the gap.

If the NHL starts cutting more pay in the new CBA, there will probably be an even greater trickle effect for some marginal players to leave for more money/guaranteed jobs

The NHL has one advantage over all other leagues: The Stanley Cup. The history and pride associated with winning the Stanley Cup will surely be a deciding factor when many players choose which leagues to play with, not to mention corporate sponsors and advertisers, which in turn affect the teams' ability to pay their players.

Yes, every lockout diminishes the value of the Cup and its history bit by bit, but at the end of the day, barring any major disaster, the lure of the Cup will be enough to draw in the best of the best players and the majority of North American companies.

The way the NHL has handled bargaining has weakened the NHL. Across the sea the KHL is expanding

and growing stronger. Teams in Prague and Bratislava now. What's next Helsinki, Oslo, Berlin and Stockholm?? And at home I am sure a few Billionaires like RIM's Jim Basille are rubbing their hands

together and envisioning a new WHA.

If I were an NHL owner and had hundreds of millions of dollars on the line I would be worried at least a little. One bad turn of events and you lose a hundred or even hundreds of millions?

It's a game of chicken now. Hire professional atheletes to play chicken against. It you play chicken against them and you win, you lose!!!!

Archived