The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Equally, there's no reason to believe Gillis offered the best he could to Schultz. Rest assured, if Edler walks and these questions arise, Gillis will tell us all about how Schultz' heart was not here, how he was a demanding brat that didn't want to earn his playing time and is not the kind of character the Canucks look for.

Garrison is gonna be good though.

They weren't the greatest canucks d men of the last decade first off but I would really like to know what you think could have/should have been offered.

In a world where this is a mistake then their must have been a better way in your eyes right? 12 years and captaincy bs doesn't matter. Trashing AV doesn't answer the question. Either it was a mistake and there was a solution or it wasn't a mistake at all.

Shultz not signing here is not a mistake by Gillis. You cannot force someone to sign the deal. Gillis clearly made a strong pitch to Shultz or we would not have been in the running till the very end. Gillis also cannot gaurantee playing time to any player because that would undermine the coach. Plus how would you explain that to Bieksa/Hamhuis/Edler/ and the rest.

The only thing that Gillis could have done differently, would be to lie to Schultz.

He should have lied about the amount of ice time Schultz would get, and who his d-partner would have been. He should have lied about power play time that Schultz would get. He should have lied about the future of the organization.

Instead, Gillis was honest with Schultz, and did not extend any guarantees or promises about ice time or anything else to do with Schultz and his potential future with the Canucks' organization.

The question shouldn't be: what more could Gillis have done in order to get Schultz to sign here, but rather, what kind of things did Tambellini say to Schultz in order to get him to sign?

regards,

G.

I don't think nucknit is a troll.

I think he simply dislikes Gillis (or Gillis.org, or lawyers, or management in general, or anyone who does ownership's bidding) so much that he tends to be dead set on finding fault in virtually everything he does. Every once in a while he seems to relent a little.

I think he's actually a Canucks fan, but is stuck between a rock and a hard place because on some level he wants to see current management fail.

I can relate to some extent - I remember when Mike Keenan was busy running a wrecking ball through the Canucks dressing room and imo being a general douche to Trevor Linden.

I don't really relate to the complaints about Gillis however.

I think the Hodgson matter has caused some folks like King, nucknit, etc to hate Gillis. I don't see it the way I did when it was Trevor Linden - I think the Hodgson camp played more than their share of the role in it all.

So there's a general tendency that goes kind of like this:

Gillis' signings suck

Gillis' drafting sucks

Gillis makes terrible trades

Gillis signs people to terrible contracts

Gillis medical staff sucks

Gillis' coach isn't fair to rookies (read Hodgson)

Gillis is a lawyer

All credit is due to the former administrations

Gillis innovations like sleep doctors, etc is just another form of making excuses.

Etc.

The only thing that Gillis could have done differently, would be to lie to Schultz.

He should have lied about the amount of ice time Schultz would get, and who his d-partner would have been. He should have lied about power play time that Schultz would get. He should have lied about the future of the organization.

Instead, Gillis was honest with Schultz, and did not extend any guarantees or promises about ice time or anything else to do with Schultz and his potential future with the Canucks' organization.

The question shouldn't be: what more could Gillis have done in order to get Schultz to sign here, but rather, what kind of things did Tambellini say to Schultz in order to get him to sign?

regards,

G.

regards,

G.

Haha, yeah how many times have we heard that one.

Hard not to point out that by the time Linden was Hodgson's age (22), he had three 30 goal seasons, 255 NHL points, had been the Calder runner-up to Brian Leetch, was a natural leader and already named the Captain of the Canucks, had made the NHL all-star team... he was already a franchise player, was a point per game playoff player, he was a physical force, and he could play hockey in his own end of the ice.

Archived