The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Kesler continues to have injury concerns and we are currently in the market for a center. Not exactly "no room to grow". I don't see it as a stretch to say he would have helped significantly vs LA. The team was trash, yes, still the games were close and we got better as the series went on. Just having Coho for the PP means we prob don't give up SH goals by the handful, easily could have split those 1st two games and we only needed 1 damn goal in game 3.

Push that to 7 games and it's up for grabs. Though I think we would have waxed them in 6.

Hurting our chances so close to the playoffs as a contender... That's just not cool. Save that trade for next year if your so keen on it. "Kassian may not have been available omgzz".... yea, doubt that. Cody had and has a lot of value. Burke was ranting that we didn't market Cody and he didn't get a chance to make an offer. Sounds like a real bidding war lol. A package with him and Lu, could have a pretty sweet return too.

If the season started on time, and we couldn't or didn't find a taker for Lu, our center depth would look like...

Hank, Schroeder,Lappy, Manny...................

I really like Kass, but damn that's scary.

I have a suggestion .Stop bashing him.

Second suggestion is to get your head out of the sand because Kassian sat on the bench in the playoffs and Gillis said he would contribute.

At this stage we gave up a clutch scorer in Hodgson for future potential in Kassian.

Kesler continues to have injury concerns and we are currently in the market for a center. Not exactly "no room to grow". I don't see it as a stretch to say he would have helped significantly vs LA. The team was trash, yes, still the games were close and we got better as the series went on. Just having Coho for the PP means we prob don't give up SH goals by the handful, easily could have split those 1st two games and we only needed 1 damn goal in game 3.

Push that to 7 games and it's up for grabs. Though I think we would have waxed them in 6.

Hurting our chances so close to the playoffs as a contender... That's just not cool. Save that trade for next year if your so keen on it. "Kassian may not have been available omgzz".... yea, doubt that. Cody had and has a lot of value. Burke was ranting that we didn't market Cody and he didn't get a chance to make an offer. Sounds like a real bidding war lol. A package with him and Lu, could have a pretty sweet return too.

If the season started on time, and we couldn't or didn't find a taker for Lu, our center depth would look like...

Hank, Schroeder,Lappy, Manny...................

I really like Kass, but damn that's scary.

My suggestion to you is stop whining about Hodgson and if you think the criticisms are bashing, then stop bashing Kassian.

We gave up a kid who got eaten alive playing over his head in Buffalo, and would have gotten eaten alive by the likes of Kopitar, Richards and the big, physical, skilled forwards of the Kings.

They are both future potential. Hodgson was an overhyped rookie - that is all.

That's just it though isn't it. Having said that if Gillis goes to Shultz and says that he'll get top 4 minutes if Shultz looks at the Canucks D core and believes that I'd have to say he's not that bright. Oil got some guys to call him but essentially unless he's an idiot he knows just from looking at the rosters where he's going to get to play more.

I don't think guarantees or phone calls had anything to do with it. I think Shultz found the right fit for him right now. Oil will be a great team in the coming years and right now he can grow with that team. Here he has to fight for a spot and I really don't think he cracks this teams top 4 on a regular basis. Perhaps in a year or two he might but for right now Shultz made the best choice for himself...and that's exactly what he should have done.

Outside of lying, and even then we need to go under the presumption that Shultz has an IQ of 62 (or as nit would put it...works at 7-11) there was nothing Gillis could have done to land this kid over the oil. He is the Oilers prize for being a crappy team for so long. Good for them they got him, now hopefully they start doing something in this division because the Canucks are just as strong, the wild got exponentially better and Colorado is on it's way up as well.

Scouting and player development are still major weaknesses with the Canucks. I would rather they clear some of the old guard out of some of those key positions and add some new blood. I think Gagner needs to go and the scouting department needs to start considering a wider range of leagues and players. It is getting a bit embarrassing how many quality late 1st and 2nd round guys they could have had and passed on. Hindsight is 20-20 but come on. It is bordering on statistically impossible.

When the rebuild comes it could be a long and ugly one with the way things are trending right now.

If the Oilers can ever learn to supplement their young core with the right free agents/role players they are going to be dominant. Colorado has a lot of good pieces in place as well. Minnesota is going top heavy in the hopes it will work and the Canucks are not getting any younger.

A few years ago I really liked the direction we were headed in. The goal was clear - we had an all star goalie who needed some support around him, so that what we went out and got. We got Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Ballard, Malhotra, etc all in an attempt to play a "D first" mentality. In addition, our stars were starting to shine up front so goal scoring wasn't a concern.

Now all of a sudden we have a changing of the guard in net, our top scorers have been shut down in critical playoff games for the past two seasons, and we have no real notable players coming up from the farm. We traded away our prized prospect, and we still get run and beaten up physically by all the other teams.

Our biggest problem is that our core is not getting any younger and we don't have any up and coming players who can take over the role of "core players" in a few seasons.

It remains to be seen how we stack up once hockey gets going again, but I can't help but feel that we missed our window of opportunity and that the window won't come again till a whole rebuild takes place again.

Archived