The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Eberle and Schultz do not have more than one GP than any other top 10 scorer.

Eberle and Schultz are far and away the league's two top scorers.Nobody else comes close.

Justin now shares the lead for scoring with Eberle but has led the entire league in scoring by himself :

http://theahl.com/st...statdisplay.php

The fact is that there is a case for Schultz as the best prospect in the league. The 22-year old defenceman is leading the entire AHL in scoring – in a lockout year, no less – as a rookie professional. His 35 points this season are three more than second-place Jordan Eberle, and eight more than the next-nearest skater.

http://oilersnation....pect-in-the-nhl

Schultz would have been a nice pickup, Gillis probably could have pushed a bit more. Still, as long as Edler stays our D is stacked and Garrison will be beast.

The Cody-Kassian trade, yea big fail there. This isn't a trade to be judged 5 years from now, it has already backfired. We got booted out of the 1st round and missed a shot at a cup. Cody was exactly the type of player to turn that series around. All of the games were close, with his PP time and knack for scoring clutch goals in big games it's not a stretch at all to say we could have beaten LA with Coho. Really, I see us winning in 6.

With Cody we would have had a more set lineup, not the revolving mess of randomness we saw in each PO game.

Replacement for Daniel on the PP, maybe we don't give up SH goals by the handful and actually score a goal instead. Good chance at splitting the first two games, maybe even taking both.

Cody had an excellent shot, one of the few players (especially without Daniel) who could expose Quicks premature and low stance. Even just a couple points from him and we are heading into game 5 up 3-1 rather than down. With him and Daniel I don't see us losing game 5 and at worst I think we take it in 6. No one after the Kings was stopping us.

Im not a big Cody fan and really like Kassian but DAMN. His trade destroyed our chance at a cup, that isn't worth Kassian even if he turns into a far better player (not likely). Add Keslers injury, seriously how do you trade an offensive center when you know your 2C is hurt???? Now we lack prospects & centre depth. There isn't 1 thing that went right with this. Cody could get hit by a bus today and it would still be a terrible trade. How Gillis has managed to duck responsibility for it is beyond me.

I blame it on the Russians that's what we as a country have done in the past, might as well keep the trend going. If those Russians weren't such good hockey players, in hindsight the Canucks would have traded Schnieder, not signed garrison, kept Hodgson, kept Ellington, Corrado would have made the WJC team, McNally would have stayed away from his classmates on his take home exam... at Harvard... Benched Edler so that he stays healthy and got Bure, Messier, Mogilny, and Mclean to convince Schultz to sign here.

In hindsight we can see this was most likely the better option. Oh and I almost forgot the lockout... All Gary Bettminakov the undercover Russian spy's fault...

Darn Russians reeking havoc on the Canucks and everyone on CDC.

I Love What If posts :)

There was no NHL award for top goal scorer until a few ,short years ago.The top points scorer or scoring title was given to the top points leader-Orr comes to mind.

Art Ross Trophy is awarded to the National Hockey League player who leads the league in scoring points at the end of the regular season.

Only one defenseman has won the NHL scoring title: Bobby Orr did it in 1969–70 and 1974–75.

It is the same story in the AHL.There was not a trophy for top goal scorer until 9 seasons ago.For their entire history the top points scorer won the scoring title,whether that be assists or goals that constituted the bulk of scoring.

http://ahlhalloffame...l-award-p139048

http://ahlhalloffame...-trophy-p139047

For us older hockey players and fans the scoring leader and champion is the player with the most points.

For younger players or fans you may disassociate assists from goals when determining who leads the scoring race.

Again,trophies for leading scorers were only ushered in the last decade.The AHL has been in operation since 1936 and the NHA/ NHL since 1910.

Regards G,

Garrison was not yet signed by the Canucks when Schultz was interviewed and not one of the d men you list is an elite, offensive d man.

Eddie comes close.

However,speculation is mounting that the Canucks may lose Edler so there may be zero (0) offensive d men on the Nucks.

Ballard has the potential to possibly fill this role in some manner but his salary and playing time here suggests otherwise.

So,who is our offensively gifted pivot when or if Eddy does leave......

The Cody-Kassian trade, yea big fail there. This isn't a trade to be judged 5 years from now, it has already backfired. We got booted out of the 1st round and missed a shot at a cup. Cody was exactly the type of player to turn that series around. All of the games were close, with his PP time and knack for scoring clutch goals in big games it's not a stretch at all to say we could have beaten LA with Coho. Really, I see us winning in 6.

With Cody we would have had a more set lineup, not the revolving mess of randomness we saw in each PO game.

Replacement for Daniel on the PP, maybe we don't give up SH goals by the handful and actually score a goal instead. Good chance at splitting the first two games, maybe even taking both.

Cody had an excellent shot, one of the few players (especially without Daniel) who could expose Quicks premature and low stance. Even just a couple points from him and we are heading into game 5 up 3-1 rather than down. With him and Daniel I don't see us losing game 5 and at worst I think we take it in 6. No one after the Kings was stopping us.

Im not a big Cody fan and really like Kassian but DAMN. His trade destroyed our chance at a cup, that isn't worth Kassian even if he turns into a far better player (not likely). Add Keslers injury, seriously how do you trade an offensive center when you know your 2C is hurt???? Now we lack prospects & centre depth. There isn't 1 thing that went right with this. Cody could get hit by a bus today and it would still be a terrible trade. How Gillis has managed to duck responsibility for it is beyond me.

I believe only Ohlund was allowed to "walk" (I think). Weren't Mitchell and Torres both offered contracts and then chose to sign elsewhere?

Mitchell was a risk to sign. Unless you want to play the 20/20 hindsight card there was a lot of chance that he could suffer a career ending injury. Add to this that the Canucks were very tight to the cap. If he was gone then the defense would have been very short-handed.

There were a number of positives about Torres. There are probably an equal number of negatives about Torres. The Canucks gave him a chance to resurrect his career. He didn't look to be in particularly high demand when he signed here for only $1 million (down from the previous contract of 3 years at $2.25 million). I suppose loyalty is not one of strong points.

Ohlund had the eye injury, and was developing knee issues from previous injuries/surgeries. TB signed him for a cap hit of $3.75 million per season. For 7 years. I think it was a good thing that Gillis allowed him to walk.

regards,

G.

Archived