Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#301 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Small difference sitting out and actually being called out.Unfortunately,you don't get it or understand what it means.
Kassian went on a three game pointless streak after being called out and sat out.
Stuff of legends,ain't it? <_<

Hodgson was benched and called out. What's your point?

You wanna know who else went on pointless streaks? Pretty much the whole team outside of a few players. Ebbett and Haydar have been pretty bad this season. They've gone from PPG players to 0.5 PPG and lower. These are things you don't seem to consider though.

Gaudreau is tearing up NCAA as a sophomore. Unlike Schroeder he actually improved after his freshman year.

Nice of you to slip in Schroeder even though we weren't talking about him. But anyways, Schroeder outperformed him in his first year. Goudreau is on a number 1 Boston College team; whereas Schroeder was on a lowly Gophers team in his second year. All things you have to consider when comparing two prospects past stats.

And besides that, Jenner and Grigerenko are tearing up the OHL and the Q. I think most people's list would have these guys higher than the lesser known Gaudreau.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#302 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Your stupid argument makes me think of Jason Krog and Darren Haydar. AHL success means NOTHING

If it meant nothing then there would be no need for the league. It is obviously an indication of development. For most guys it means something. And yes, you have the Jason Krog's of the hockey world where the AHL is the end of the line for them no matter how much they dominate the league.
Posted Image

#303 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

Dont acknowledge the fact that we have 5 prospects from last 2 drafts alone that will be in this WJC, a tournament where the best prospects from each country play each other.

Yeah, Baertschi is all I can say

As for your Jankowski argument, lol. The leader of his team is 3 points in front of him and he's a junior. Nice try.

Jordan Schroeder broke the USA record for scoring in the WJC tournament. His 26 points are more than Jeremy Roenick's previous all-time USA mark - and his 20 assists were the third most all time, of all international players.
Just a little perspective for you.

Edited by oldnews, 22 December 2012 - 02:10 AM.

#304 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

In all honesty, I do think the powerplay would have been better. The powerplay dipped from 24% to 19% this season. If you base statistics off of points-per-game, Edler had a better season when paired with Ehrhoff (33 points in 51 games) as opposed to this year (49 points in 82 games)

I honestly think there may have been a minor upgrade, but nothing that would make us alot better in that respect. Because Ehrhoff (Like u said in your post) Also went through that exaustion of a long playoff run and battling injuries, perhaps it may have helped at times but in the big picture I don't think it would have been all that much more beneficial.

It's not really about skating ability or the ability to put up points on the powerplay, it's more about puck-moving ability. Ehrhoff was by far the best puck-mover on the back-end on the team. Nobody on the current Canucks team can match that. Yes, Edler has a better shot, is more physical and is arguably better defensively, but his puck-moving ability and mobility isn't even close to Ehrhoff's. The Canucks had difficulty with getting the first pass out of the zone last year and that was one thing that Ehrhoff did excel at. The Canucks don't miss Ehrhoff as much on the powerplay as they do on his ability to move the puck up the ice and his ability to be able to start a play in his own zone. But don't get me wrong, they miss him on the powerplay as well.

Another interesting fact is how much healthier the Canucks defensive corps was this past year as opposed to 2010/2011. Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Salo were much healthier as opposed to the seasons before.

I don't entirely agree, I think he is really good at making that first pass but I think we have players who are just as good at moving the puck, we changed our entire defensive system to add puck movers and to use our D more effectively in the play, So though I think Ehrhoff's passing is great, I don't think it is by far better than a guy like Hamhuis, who I think is our most reliable players in aspects of the game aside from the PP, even though he is still solid there.

I'm not sure what point the last stat is trying to address.

You can say the same thing about Ehrhoff being exhausted as well. We'll have a clearer picture of both Ehrhoff and the Sedin's production either this year or next year (depending on the lockout) and the impact they had on the team.

Yeah I agree completely, I just don't think Ehrhoff had as big of an impact on our team due to the fact that we have other puck movers, and guys who are good on the PP, as for Ehrhoff he will still help Buffalo's Powerplay alot but they don't have anyone like the Sedins to set him up on the PP.

We'll see how both parties do next season. If the Sedin's can repeat their 100+ point performances and Ehrhoff doesn't do that great, I'll gladly eat my words. If the Sedins are unable to do that and Ehrhoff improves steadily for Buffalo, then the impact of the loss of Ehrhoff on the point will finally be justified.

Alright, that seems fair.

It seems like we have gone of the rails from the original point, to clearify I think Ehrhoff obviously add's something to our team that we did miss at times, but I don't think he deperature was overall as big an impact to us than maybe Ehrhoff losing the Sedin's and our great PP.

You also have to consider that Ehrhoff is getting a bigger role in Buffalo, either way I still think he is a good productive player, but his main concern was money and & even though I was actually quite a big fan of his, I am fine letting him go to re-sign Juice, and then to bring in similar guys at a better price.

I also wanna say I appreciate that you bring up some good points, really niether of us are right anyways cause it is still one of those 'Wait and see things' but I do respect your stance and appreciate you for making points rather than nuck nit who makes very little good points and calls others else.

Finally,somebody with more than just a clue shows up.
Thanks to TheEhrhoffEffect.

Puck moving ability,an accurate,hard shot and the ability to effectively read your top scorer's abilities/game to the extent you compliment them with success. That is what Ehrhoff provided.Add to that he was an excellent skater.
No effective PP,no win.That is where you begin your failure, Kassian.This team's PP sucked without Ehrhoff,already.The Sedins sucked.

"I don't think losing Ehrhoff is a huge lose for them aside from maybe finishing on a play here or there.." Kassian

You don't get it and neither did Gillis and we are where we are because of the brain dead air lock.

Where is Gragnani these days?

Yes our PP sucked, as apposed to all the great work Ehrhoff did in boosting that great Buffalo PP that even after adding some big free agents aside from him in the off season, and having young players (Ennis, Myers) develop futher still got worse from on season (2010/11) to the next (2011/12). I don't know how you can sit here and say our PP got a ton worse which really went you take into account the circumstances didn't get all that much worse at all, even though Buffalo's PP got worse when they added some big pieces.

And do you really think he is the only guy who has those characteristics, if you haven't noticed we have built our blueline around skating and puck moving, everyone is a good skater, Everyone can pass well, and then we have some guys who can fill that role on the PP just fine.

When you look at it from our perspective not a huge lose, as apposed to Ehrhoff who left the team that jump started his career.

And what do you expect MG to do? Overpay for Ehrhoff and Let Bieksa walk, I would have chose Bieksa over Ehrhoff everytime, Bieksa brings alot more to this team when he is on his game and the role he had here as opposed the one Ehrhoff had here reflects that.

As for Gragnani, I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up? I never said this move was a homerun.

zackass.png

#305 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Nice of you to slip in Schroeder even though we weren't talking about him. But anyways, Schroeder outperformed him in his first year. Goudreau is on a number 1 Boston College team; whereas Schroeder was on a lowly Gophers team in his second year. All things you have to consider when comparing two prospects past stats.

And besides that, Jenner and Grigerenko are tearing up the OHL and the Q. I think most people's list would have these guys higher than the lesser known Gaudreau.

NCAA>CHL. Big difference between the strength of men and boys. 9 times out of 10 NCAA would wreck a CHL team. UofA even beat the Canadian team(past record also shows).

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 22 December 2012 - 02:10 AM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#306 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Dont acknowledge the fact that we have 5 prospects from last 2 drafts alone that will be in this WJC, a tournament where the best prospects from each country play each other.

Yeah, Baertschi is all I can say

As for your Jankowski argument, lol. The leader of his team is 3 points in front of him and he's a junior. Nice try.

That's what happens when you finish low in the standings.

The world juniors are far from a determining factor for making the NHL. We have two prospects that led their teams in the world juniors in our pool right now, and people on here are doubting that they even make the NHL.

Edited by DeNiro, 22 December 2012 - 02:12 AM.

Posted Image

#307 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Jordan Schroeder broke the USA record for scoring in the WJC tournament. Just a little perspective for you.

Why dont you respond to my actual post? Running out of excuses and stupid arguments?

Thanks for coming out

3499h5x.jpg

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

#308 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

That's what happens when you finish low in standings.

The world juniors are far from a determining factor for making the NHL. We have two prospects that led their teams in the world juniors in our pool right now, and people on here are doubting that they even make the NHL.

Not sure how 13th and 14th is "low", but okay.

I was simply pointing out the fact we DO have promising prospects

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 22 December 2012 - 02:13 AM.

3499h5x.jpg

#309 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,940 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Why dont you respond to my actual post? Running out of excuses and stupid arguments?

Thanks for coming out

The Flames have a few youngsters at the WJC. Good for them. Reason for optimism.
Schroeder on the other hand, like the rest of the Canucks prospects, will never make the NHL lol.
His WJC records mean nothing.
Flames playing there though - that is very meaningful.
Good night.

#310 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

The Flames have a few youngsters at the WJC. Good for them. Reason for optimism.
Schroeder on the other hand, like the rest of the Canucks prospects, will never make the NHL lol.
Good night.

I think Schroeder will turn out to be a decent player, by the time he's ready to step in the lineup he will be able to make significant contributions, but god knows when that will be. Ryan O'Reilly was picked a few picks later.

Again, thanks for coming out

3499h5x.jpg

#311 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Um, because Sutter is fired and Gillis is still your GM? lol

He traded down and got a 2nd, which turned out to be Sieloff who will be a very good player, on top of a raw, but very talented Jankowski.

Like I've said already earlier, go back and read.

Okay that's not really fair but whatever, the 08 Draft wasn't great for us aside from Coho and Maybe Sauve but you guys didn't have a great 08 Draft either, as for 09 I think our picks were solid based on where we were picking, Schroeder had/has top 5 level skill and fell to us at 23, Rodin is still good and Connaution was a great 3rd round pick, aside from that our later round picks were solid, Andersson is underrated, Cannata is looking like a steal and I don't know a ton about Price but he is pretty good too apperently. Then in 10, Polasek was a good late round pick.

Then you guys, okay you traded down to get Sieloff when there were better players avaliable, I have no issue with Sieloff, he's a good prospect, but McCabe was available, Thrower was avaliable, Frk was avaliable, even Bystrom aswell.

Then taking Jankowski over Maatta is not something to be happy about IMO, atleast not now, and I vividly remember my friend who is a big Flames fan (Who I was talking to as we watched the draft) Being very unhappy that Calgary traded the pick when good players were avaliable, then he being even more mad when they chose Jankowski with other's still avaliable.

zackass.png

#312 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

NCAA>CHL. Big difference between the strength of men and boys. 9 times out of 10 NCAA would wreck a CHL team. UofA even beat the Canadian team(past record also shows).

More skill in the CHL vs more physically developed players in the NCAA. It's a different kind of game. There's a reason why the CHL is the number 1 producer of NHLer's though.

The fact that Gaudreau is 5'6" and 145 pounds means it's very unlikely he makes the NHL. This guy makes Schroeder look huge, and if people think he's gonna have a tough time making the NHL, then it's gonna be alot harder for Gaudreau.

The fact that Grigerenko and Jenner are both 6'2" and close to 200 pounds with the amount of skill they have, means the adjustment to the NHL will be much easier. Small players never get a fair shake unless they're really good.

Edited by DeNiro, 22 December 2012 - 02:20 AM.

Posted Image

#313 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

I would have paid less for Bieksa and paid Ehrhoff what he was worth.
Instead,they lowballed Ehrhoff,which they have done to other players,which means they do not understand their own players net worth to other players on the team.This is why Ehrhoff left.He was not given a reasonable offer.
Saying a player like Ehrhoff is worth what Bieksa is worth is insulting and ignorant,Of course,he walked.He was pushed out.
Gillis did it to Torres,Samuelsson and Ehrhoff and the last one was Salo.
You write novels with little substance.If you watch a lot of hockey you understand little of what you are watching.

#314 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Not sure how 13th and 14th is "low", but okay.

I was simply pointing out the fact we DO have promising prospects

It's just outside the top 10 where great players drop to every year. That's how you got Baertschi.

The flames have some good talent no doubt, but I think you're guilty of overrating a few of them. Not that we're not guilty of that here.

Posted Image

#315 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

More skill in the CHL vs more physically developed players in the NCAA. It's a different kind of game. There's a reason why the CHL is the number 1 producer of NHLer's though.

The fact that Gaudreau is 5'6" and 145 pounds means it's very unlikely he makes the NHL. This guy makes Schroeder look huge, and if people think he's gonna have a tough time making the NHL, then it's gonna be alot harder for Gaudreau.

The fact that Grigerenko and Jenner are both 6'2" and close to 200 pounds with the amount of skill they have, means the adjustment to the NHL will be much easier. Small players never get a fair shake unless they're really good.

Gaudreau is actually 5'9". Cam Atkinson, who I think is a pretty close comparable, doesnt seem to have problems adjusting to the pro game.

3499h5x.jpg

#316 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Again, thanks for coming out

Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Granlund and... is there anyone else?

Wotherspoon was outplayed by Corrado our guy, so I'm not sure that you can say he is better than Corrado, since he didn't earn the spot like Corrado seemed too. (Dispite Wotherspoon being a much higher pick than Corrado, I guess that just speaks to the scouting from both sides)

Sieloff hasn't made the team yet, there are still cuts to be made and I read an article yesterday from a lady covering the team that though Sieloff would be cut, in favour of the more offensive, puck moving guys like Rielly, and the two other guys that last names start with G (Can't remember how to spell, and I don't really wanna look it up)

We have had guys at the WJ too, Rodin, Schroeder, Kassian, Hodgson, Jensen, Andersson, then Polasek and Blomstand both played in the U18 tournment, so that doesn't really decide things.

zackass.png

#317 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Granlund and... is there anyone else?

Wotherspoon was outplayed by Corrado our guy, so I'm not sure that you can say he is better than Corrado, since he didn't earn the spot like Corrado seemed too. (Dispite Wotherspoon being a much higher pick than Corrado, I guess that just speaks to the scouting from both sides)

Sieloff hasn't made the team yet, there are still cuts to be made and I read an article yesterday from a lady covering the team that though Sieloff would be cut, in favour of the more offensive, puck moving guys like Rielly, and the two other guys that last names start with G (Can't remember how to spell, and I don't really wanna look it up)

We have had guys at the WJ too, Rodin, Schroeder, Kassian, Hodgson, Jensen, Andersson, then Polasek and Blomstand both played in the U18 tournment, so that doesn't really decide things.

Gaudreau and Gillies, who were 4th and 3rd round picks if you really want to go there

Also, Murphy was the one that shouldn't have made the team, not Wotherspoon.

You're crazy to think Sieloff won't make the team. In a short tournament like this chemistry is important. Him and Trouba have been together since U-18 and that will be the top pair for the US. You can quote me on that.

Point I was trying to make was that the Flames DID improve their drafting since Feaster took over. And the # of players representing their country just strengthens the point

3499h5x.jpg

#318 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

I would have paid less for Bieksa and paid Ehrhoff what he was worth.
Instead,they lowballed Ehrhoff,which they have done to other players,which means they do not understand their own players net worth to other players on the team.This is why Ehrhoff left.He was not given a reasonable offer.
Saying a player like Ehrhoff is worth what Bieksa is worth is insulting and ignorant,Of course,he walked.He was pushed out.
Gillis did it to Torres,Samuelsson and Ehrhoff and the last one was Salo.
You write novels with little substance.If you watch a lot of hockey you understand little of what you are watching.

So Hypocritical.

Okay so Torres was worth 1.75? No thanks, he wanted more than he was worth after we jump started his career aswell, from a guy that wasn't signed near the end of August to a good 3rd liner, what great things has he done in Phoenix?

Salo, again by all accounts was willing to take a discount that met our needs, Gillis just wasn't willing to go longer than one year, and honestly as much as I love Salo I agree it's a risk, and picking up Garrison who took less to come here IMO is an ungrade on Salo right now, is a good move for us, I would much rather have Garrison at his contract than Salo at that other contract. No issue with this move.

I'm not sure when we did this to Sammuelson? We traded him then never had a desire to sign him once he became a UFA. And your saying I don't understand what is going on. Lol

So who would you rather have at Bieksa's contact? Bieksa or Ehrhoff? I would choose Bieksa for sure, brings more overall to the team than Ehrhoff does and plays a bigger role, and unlike Ehrhoff is perhaps willing to take less to stay here, those are the players we want.

Ehrhoff was offered fair offer's, probably around the 4-4.5 Million mark aswell, on obviously a shorter and non backing diving deal like he got with Buffalo, that's fair I think for what he brings to our team, but he obviously didn't think so. And took the money, I was a big fan and I was dissapointed but I see he just wasn't as committed to us as I thaught and re-signing Bieksa rather than overpaying for Ehrhoff was the right move.

zackass.png

#319 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Gaudreau is actually 5'9". Cam Atkinson, who I think is a pretty close comparable, doesnt seem to have problems adjusting to the pro game.

The Flames website has him listed as 5'6", his college team has him listed as 5'8". Either way, being Schroeder's height, and 30 pounds less is going to be pretty hard for him when he jumps up to the AHL and there's 200+ pound guys.

I'm sure he'll put on some weight, but 30 pounds worth is unlikely. There's a reason why players under 5'10" make the NHL way less. They always have to try and overcome their lack of height, which most of them don't.

Posted Image

#320 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Good night.

Based on what? Some questionable draft choices on the part of management? Kassian and Jensen are going to have an NHL career. What that career will be is to be determined. Schroeder is always going to have the size disadvantage but not necessarily the strength disadvantage - which are often two knocks against him. The guy is only 21 years old and has consistently improved year after year since his draft. It is evident Tanev has his defensive game down and is about as poised as you can get. These four guys should have no problem making the NHL and having some sort of success one way or another. Also, there is Corrado and even Grenier over in Europe having a pretty solid rookie season against men.

Not blue chip prospects by any means but when you're drafting nearly last in every round, you need to have realistic expectations. These are our most promising youngsters.

As for the rest of our recently current picks, it's a complete toss up; then again that's always how draft picks are. Most of them won't make it. Such is life of professional hockey.
Posted Image

#321 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

The Flames website has him listed as 5'6", his college team has him listed as 5'8". Either way, being Schroeder's height, and 30 pounds less is going to be pretty hard for him when he jumps up to the AHL and there's 200+ pound guys.

I'm sure he'll put on some weight, but 30 pounds worth is unlikely. There's a reason why players under 5'10" make the NHL way less. They always have to try and overcome their lack of height, which most of them don't.

He's not out there to hurt guys. His game relies on his quickness, speed, and agility that allow him to change direction quickly. He's so shifty he doesnt even get hit that much. Add that to an abundance of skill and tenacity you have a pretty good prospect.

I might sound like the biggest homer right now :lol:, but you guys are in for a nice surprise this WJC with Johnny

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 22 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

3499h5x.jpg

#322 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Gaudreau and Gillies, who were 4th and 3rd round picks if you really want to go there

Also, Murphy was the one that shouldn't have made the team, not Wotherspoon.

You're crazy to think Sieloff won't make the team. In a short tournament like this chemistry is important. Him and Trouba have been together since U-18 and that will be the top pair for the US. You can quote me on that.

Gillies is no sure pick either, him and Sparks are battling it out for the back-up job.

And Murphy was always going to make the team, Spott is his coach, and aside from probably having a little soft spot for him, also knows how to use him and he brings an offensive touch that the team doesn't have aside from Rielly.

I think either way it is safe to Corrado earned that spot over both Wotherspoon and Murphy, and even Reinhart aswell.

The Sieloff thing is a toss up right now, you make a good point about the chemistry but I also think that being that the coach is Housley and that he has already expressed numourous times he wants to have an active defense that can join the rush and do alot offensively, that would generally lean in favour of the others.

And Gaudreau is obviously a lock, he is a star in his league, but size is an issue that will have him going down the same path Schroeder is no going down on his way to the NHL IMO.

Point I was trying to make was that the Flames DID improve their drafting since Feaster took over. And the # of players representing their country just strengthens the point

I agree with that they have there is still some blunder IMO, like this past draft but I agree that it has improved alot.

But you can't sit here and say our drafting hasn't improved either, we haven't had the opportunities to draft that high since Gillis arrived but we still have managed to do quite well.

But I don't think overall wise Feaster has done alot to help your team, he has overpaid for players that may put you in the playoffs but could also backfire with your older team the Wideman deal could really handcuff them, similar to the situation with Wisniewski signing in Columbus last year.

Hudler is a good pick-up, over payed a bit IMO but he was good for you guys.

Cervenka was the player you overpaid on the most.

And then even with re-signing your players Feaster hasn't manged to get the success Gillis has with respect to players taking haricuts, Stempniak for exxample hasn't earned the money you signed him too, and when you look at the great job we did with Higgin's extension you can see we are doing a better job in that respect.

zackass.png

#323 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

He's not out there to hurt guys. His game relies on his quickness, speed, and agility that allow him to change direction quickly. He's so shifty he doesnt even get hit that much. Add that to an abundance of skill and tenacity you have a pretty good prospect.

I might sound like the biggest homer right now :lol:, but you guys are in for a nice surprise this WJC with Johnny

Sounds exactly like Schroeder from our perspective honestly, I agree he will be good in the WJ though.

zackass.png

#324 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

Bieksa does not have half the skill that Ehrhoff has.

As you are not sure of a lot of things how about stop writing for a while and actually read what others say,De Niro?

Start with the comments and opinions from Samuelsson and Torres and how they think they were treated by Gillis.

#325 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Cervenka was the player you overpaid on the most.

And then even with re-signing your players Feaster hasn't manged to get the success Gillis has with respect to players taking haricuts, Stempniak for exxample hasn't earned the money you signed him too, and when you look at the great job we did with Higgin's extension you can see we are doing a better job in that respect.

Like i've said numerous times, Cervenka is on a 925K base salary + performance bonuses. If he does get his 3.8M at the end then he has performed above expectation. If not it's a 1 year deal on a 925K base salary. Low-risk/high-reward

Also, haircuts :bigblush:

3499h5x.jpg

#326 Gerg

Gerg

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,169 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

If it meant nothing then there would be no need for the league. It is obviously an indication of development. For most guys it means something. And yes, you have the Jason Krog's of the hockey world where the AHL is the end of the line for them no matter how much they dominate the league.

It means nothing in terms of NHL success, which is what I was getting at, clearly.
Posted Image

#327 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

#328 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Like i've said numerous times, Cervenka is on a 925K base salary + performance bonuses. If he does get his 3.8M at the end then he has performed above expectation. If not it's a 1 year deal on a 925K base salary. Low-risk/high-reward

Also, haircuts :bigblush:

Fair enough on the Cervenka point, I looked it up and agree it is not as bad as it seems at face value. The Cap hit is still pretty high.

And I don't get your :bigblush: Response.

zackass.png

#329 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Bieksa does not have half the skill that Ehrhoff has.

As you are not sure of a lot of things how about stop writing for a while and actually read what others say,De Niro?

Start with the comments and opinions from Samuelsson and Torres and how they think they were treated by Gillis.

We traded Sammuelsson and got Booth, a huge win for us since Sammuelsson holds no long term value for them. That was a great move by MG and is now water under the bridge.

And yes MG treated Torres so badly by giving him a shot when no other team wanted him then not willing to give him more money than he is worth.

If these are such big points to you then explain to me how they both were treated so badly. It's your point.

As for Bieksa vs Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff is better offensively and has a better shot, who is better defensively? Who has more grit? Who is more durable? Who a better checker? Who is relied on in bigger situations? Who plays more minutes? Who brings more leadership? And who is willing to take a less money to play here?

Now explain how Ehrhoff is better for us and more valuable to us than Bieksa better than saying "Bieksa doesn't have half the skill Ehrhoff does" Which isn't entirely true when you compare them as overall hockey players.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 22 December 2012 - 03:06 AM.

zackass.png

#330 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

It means nothing in terms of NHL success, which is what I was getting at, clearly.

Sure. Clearly? No.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.