The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

I think outside of Corrado, the Canucks have done a sub-par job of drafting. The same can be said of SOME of the trades they've made aswell.

Likes: Corrado,Tanev"Free Agent", Hodgson" When Drafted", Btrendan Guance, Niklas Jensen, Higgens, lappiere,Garrison,Getting Ehrhoff for two years was awesome.

Dislikes: Trading Hodgson for an inferior prospect although I still like kassian. The Ballard trade wasn't the greateset idea ever although he has shown signs he is better then some give him credit for. The Canucks sure did give up alot to get ballard though. Drafting Anton Rodin might not have been the best idea and he was also alomost selected in the first round.

So the Canucks overall are not doing a horrible job, but it must be really difficult to draft considering they're always at the top of the standings. Here's hoping the next few drafts can turn out atleast one future All Star for the Canucks.

Why do people think we don't have any up and coming players?

We have lots of good up and coming players that will be part of the core of this team. You just have to open your eyes. Just because we don't have top 5 pick players that are coming in and performing at 18, doesn't mean we don't have good young players.

lolwut? How many canucks prospects are going to the world Juniors? 1, and he probably won't play. If that isn't the most obvious reminder that our prospect pool is terrible then I don't know what is. Saying our prospects are good is one thing, but if you want to compare ours to the rest of the league's teams then I don't think you can use the word "good." If these players are going to form the core of the team in the future then I don't see many cups coming our way.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=11021941">snapback.pngnateb123, on 19 December 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

I think this thread can best be described by "nuck nit and King of the ES make absurd claims about a sport they know nothing about and a whole bunch of people make the mistake of thinking that their ignorance will come to a sudden halt when faced with facts." Myself included.

"He has parts of Niedermayer and one player he reminds me of is Drew Doughty," Oklahoma City coach Todd Nelson told NHL.com. "The NHL is a step higher, but I see him doing the same thing up there. Maybe not as explosive in his first year, but I see him contributing offensively. I see him playing a lot of minutes, just as he does here -- and he plays about 30 minutes a game, handles it well.

"Is he capable of being a Scott Niedermayer? He's very capable. I feel very comfortable in saying that."

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=11020118">snapback.pngDeNiro, on 18 December 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Why do people think we don't have any up and coming players?

We have lots of good up and coming players that will be part of the core of this team. You just have to open your eyes. Just because we don't have top 5 pick players that are coming in and performing at 18, doesn't mean we don't have good young players.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TSN just did a Top 30 Prospects special.

Schultz is #1.

Our beloved Vancouver Canucks are the only Canadian team without a prospect in the Top 30.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411680

Hey King, do you remember Jason Krog? How did his AHL 112pts in 80 games from a D man(2007-2008) translate to the NHL? Not saying Schultz is going to be a career AHLer with a few call-ups, just that AHL success for offensive D men doesn't always work out in the big leagues.

Edit: Also, Krog was a star at the university level too.

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?

2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?

3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?

4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)

5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL

6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?

7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

Krog plays center and plays in Sweden's Elite League now.

He played for the Islanders,Ducks,Thrashers,Rangers,Canucks and Thrashers again over 200+ games at the NHL level,alone.

As good as Krog is or was in North America ,I do not recall him interviewing 26 interested NHL teams before he played his first NHL game.

3. The verdict on the Hodgson deal remains to be seen. But Cody and his agent didn't want to be here and didn't feel like they were being treated fairly in Vancouver. They're gone.

I did not know Cody's agent was attached to Cody in Vancouver.

Can you -or anybody else-give the board one quote from Cody where he says he did not want to be here?

Can you -or anybody else- find one quote from Cody where he said he wasn't being treated fairly here?

I never said he had the same free-agent demand as Schultz. I am just saying being an effective offensive AHL player doesn't always mean you will have success in the NHL. Now Schultz will most like develope into an effective top 4 guy, but scoring at a pace like he is doesn't garuntee he is going to be better than Jason Garrison during the time our core guys are in their prime.

2. Luongo's contract (in hindsight as always) seems like a mistake now. It wasn't at the time and I'd argue he is still a top-flight goal-tender and is actually remarkably consistent year-to-year.

Signing him for that term was as idiotic as naming him captain.What was especially troubling was that the Canucks signed Luo after his second serious groin injury of his career.

Hey King, do you remember Jason Krog? How did his AHL 112pts in 80 games from a D man(2007-2008) translate to the NHL? Not saying Schultz is going to be a career AHLer with a few call-ups, just that AHL success for offensive D men doesn't always work out in the big leagues.

Edit: Also, Krog was a star at the university level too.

Archived