Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#391 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

More like your Gillis speak from a media newspaper leaves little worth responding to.
Watch the back porch screen door on your rear end while you empty your CDC trash.

Oh I will, unfortunatly your the one that will be emptied, we are going out to get some new lights tommorow, on the way we will be making a stop by the dump to throw away those broken lights. I guess its the end...

zackass.png

#392 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thank Santa.

#393 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Providing proof yet again that you are not fit for human company.

Have a great life, nuck.

regards,
G.

Regards G,

I am going to miss all those great times we never had.
Your Mom,on the other hand......

#394 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Now in the spirit of the thread.

I have really no issue's with anything MG has done in his time here, but one thing I would have liked is us to have picked up Grabner on waivers.

Imagine us emerging with both Ballard and Grabner in the end.

zackass.png

#395 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Now in the spirit of the thread.

I have really no issue's with anything MG has done in his time here, but one thing I would have liked is us to have picked up Grabner on waivers.

Imagine us emerging with both Ballard and Grabner in the end.

Even if the Canucks wanted to, they wouldn't have been able to. Islander's got first dibs due to the waiver wire procedure in the NHL.

#396 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Regards G,

I am going to miss all those great times we never had.
Your Mom,on the other hand......

Take your personal attacks elsewhere, if you really feel the need, then PM him, or me if you want to make fun of me, I'm fine with it.

Continuing this here is just a waste of the page and will likely get you banned.

zackass.png

#397 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Even if the Canucks wanted to, they wouldn't have been able to. Islander's got first dibs due to the waiver wire procedure in the NHL.

I kinda thought that was the case to be honest.

Then I really have no issue's with what MG has done thus-far (Aside from him extending AV rather than firing him.) he has done a great job IMO and made us better than ever,

zackass.png

#398 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Dan Hamhuis would've signed here if it was Robert Pickton recruiting him, so I don't think that's fair.

And the Canucks weren't able to land local boy Schultz, who 90% of this board figured was our guy to lose, so I wouldn't be so sure of this. Also, what happened with Shane Doan?

So normally you talk about how 90% of this board is delusional and think the canucks will get every player and every player canucks is the greatest (which you aren't far off on) but now I see you keep using that as a point about gillis not getting Shultz.
So on one hand you're saying CDC is full of homers and then you're using the "homers" as a reason to hate on Gillis? Unless you're making a sarcastic point and it's an attack on the cdc homers I'm not sure what the plan here is?

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 22 December 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#399 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Take your personal attacks elsewhere, if you really feel the need, then PM him, or me if you want to make fun of me, I'm fine with it.
Continuing this here is just a waste of the page and will likely get you banned.

Actually,your personal slanders were reported,already.
Don't tell me what to do or what I should say.Thanks.

#400 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Probably not smart for you to bring attention to this thread.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#401 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

What personal slanders? I'm not that one talking about other peoples mothers..

zackass.png

#402 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

What personal slanders?

Merry Christmas,Kass.

Keep your stick on the ice.

#403 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Merry Christmas,Kass.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Thanks, you too nuck.

zackass.png

#404 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Actually,I was looking at your Mom's shaved body while I sat on the floor,pretending to play with the box.

I think it's quite clear that you've never seen a box.

#405 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

What was Patrick White projected to be? a top 6 forward?

zackass.png

#406 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

What was Patrick White projected to be? a top 6 forward?

In the tier 3 league in Germany

:bigblush:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#407 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

In the tier 3 league in Germany

:bigblush:

He was suppost to be a big strong center, with playmaking ability, a good shot, good in the corners and a solid two way game, he also seemed to be a very complete player.

Some scouting reports of him were night day though, some projected him as a top 6 forward easily, and some projected him as a 3rd line checking center. Some had him ranked 20-30, some had him outside the top 30.

Damn, when you really look at it there are some likable things, it was a really risky pick and obivously didn't turn out.

zackass.png

#408 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

I think it's quite clear that you've never seen a box.

I have a box.Right now there are lots under the tree.
Plenty of shaved legs,as well.

Well,two,and those two are plenty.

Edited by nuck nit, 23 December 2012 - 12:45 AM.

#409 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

He was suppost to be a big strong center, with playmaking ability, a good shot, good in the corners and a solid two way game, he also seemed to be a very complete player.

Some scouting reports of him were night day though, some projected him as a top 6 forward easily, and some projected him as a 3rd line checking center. Some had him ranked 20-30, some had him outside the top 30.

Damn, when you really look at it there are some likable things, it was a really risky pick and obivously didn't turn out.

Yea I was disappointed with how White turned out. But I'm happy Gillis was able to turn him and Rahimi into Ehrhoff.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#410 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:13 AM

I cringe at our prospect pool and I don't think he gets enough flack for giving up the 1st rounder in 2010. Quinton Howden would've arguably been our best forward prospect.

#411 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

I cringe at our prospect pool and I don't think he gets enough flack for giving up the 1st rounder in 2010. Quinton Howden would've arguably been our best forward prospect.

Or Evgeny Kuznetsov...

#412 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,728 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Howden will be a third or fourth liner at best. Jensen and Kassian are better than him.

If you wanna complain about not drafting someone that year, it should be Kuznetsov. He's going to be a top 6 superstar in the NHL.

Justin Faulk is another guy we could have had. He's a stud D-man we could have used big time.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#413 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Then I really have no issue's with what MG has done thus-far (Aside from him extending AV rather than firing him.) he has done a great job IMO and made us better than ever,

Let's see if I understand:

-Keith Ballard's an amazing player that just needs to be given a chance
-Anton Rodin's an excellent prospect and we should just ignore his 1 goal in 18 games to date
-It's not a concern at all that Zack Kassian's just not scoring in the AHL like he was last year

-What Justin Schultz is doing in the AHL is unimpressive
-Cody Hodgson's stats on Vancouver were manipulated and unreliable
-Alain Vigneault should be fired

You really don't value guys who get results, do you? You defend all of these underperforming Canuck prospects to death, yet you want Alain Vigneault fired? AV has done a far better job than MG has. All that he's done since his arrival is win, besides the collapse of the team in '08 after Nonis failed to acquire any supplemental help at the deadline. AV is not the problem.

#414 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

So normally you talk about how 90% of this board is delusional and think the canucks will get every player and every player canucks is the greatest (which you aren't far off on) but now I see you keep using that as a point about gillis not getting Shultz.
So on one hand you're saying CDC is full of homers and then you're using the "homers" as a reason to hate on Gillis? Unless you're making a sarcastic point and it's an attack on the cdc homers I'm not sure what the plan here is?

De Niro referenced the fact that the Canucks have "no issues" attracting free agents. My response was that Dan Hamhuis made it very clear (after having his rights traded to 2 different teams) and obvious that he wanted to go to a specific location only - Vancouver. And if we have "no issues" attracting free agents, I'd just ask what happened with Schultz and Doan this year, both heavy targets.

#415 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

And if we have "no issues" attracting free agents, I'd just ask what happened with Schultz and Doan this year, both heavy targets.

Well, you can't win 'em all?

Just because a UFA shows interest in signing here does not mean that that UFA will sign here. The Canucks attracted that player's interest, which supports the comment that the team has "no issues" attracting free agents.

There are a number of factors which attract a player to a particular franchise. So why did Doan and Schultz wind up where they did? I think you already know the answer to this, but are chosing to interpret it from a negative viewpoint.

In each case, the player was not swayed by money (or so I believe). Doan would probably have gotten what he did sign for regardless of where he went (or possibly even more), and Schultz was going to get the maximum allowed under the last CBA.

Doan went with his heart and stayed with "his team". It seems he is a loyal man and good on him for being so. However, had there not been some kind of resolution in the ownership situation in Phoenix (or at least the promise thereof), I believe that the Canucks had a very good chance of landing Doan.

Yes, almost isn't good enough, right? This being said, if the Canucks are such a loser franchise, or Gillis is such an incompetent GM, or whatever reason you wish to give for him not signing here, why would Doan have even considered coming here? If it was purely for bargaining power against the Coyotes there were lots of other teams he could have used, who potentially would have been willing to pay more for his services than the Canucks.

Schultz went with the situation which is best for Schultz, and so he should.

It might be argued that Schultz signed with the Oilers as it was a good place for him to highlite his talents, and then get a big payoff in his next contract.

With the Canucks he would likely get bottom pairing minutes for quite some time, and probably a lot of power play time. With the Oilers, he'll likely get top-4 minutes and all of the power play time he can handle. And with the offensive minded team that they are developing in Edmonton, Schultz will have a very good chance to put up a lot more points than he might here.

Or, he might just like to hang out with a team filled with guys who are all around his own age rather than the Canucks which is a more veteran group.

In any event, Schultz went where he felt he could best achieve his personal goals. Whether or not this will translate into team results remains to be seen.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#416 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

De Niro referenced the fact that the Canucks have "no issues" attracting free agents. My response was that Dan Hamhuis made it very clear (after having his rights traded to 2 different teams) and obvious that he wanted to go to a specific location only - Vancouver. And if we have "no issues" attracting free agents, I'd just ask what happened with Schultz and Doan this year, both heavy targets.

So are you implying that "no issues" means we get all the free agents?

I saw where you were going and understood the discussion but this doesn't explain your use of the 90% in conflicting ways. Doesn't matter though...I'd rather discuss this new question.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#417 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Let's see if I understand:

-Keith Ballard's an amazing player that just needs to be given a chance
-Anton Rodin's an excellent prospect and we should just ignore his 1 goal in 18 games to date
-It's not a concern at all that Zack Kassian's just not scoring in the AHL like he was last year

-What Justin Schultz is doing in the AHL is unimpressive
-Cody Hodgson's stats on Vancouver were manipulated and unreliable
-Alain Vigneault should be fired

You really don't value guys who get results, do you? You defend all of these underperforming Canuck prospects to death, yet you want Alain Vigneault fired? AV has done a far better job than MG has. All that he's done since his arrival is win, besides the collapse of the team in '08 after Nonis failed to acquire any supplemental help at the deadline. AV is not the problem.

I'll explain it too you.

- Keith Ballard gets unfairly criticized, he had a good year last year, better than people give him credit for. He was injured and had a tough time when he first got here, but recently in the playoffs he was easily our best D-man and has really been regaining form late last year, him and Tanev should be a great 3rd pair for us.

- Anton Rodin's 8 Points in 18 Games isn't great, but when you consider that he has been in the bottom 6, and only playing every 2nd game it's not as bad as at face value. He has actually had some bright moments, he was on a line that was really rolling a while back, I think they got 4 point in 2 games or something like that and the genius Arniel broke them up. He had a rough start but was getting a bit better before the injury hopefully he can come back and do fine.

- Not really because Kassian's game is improving, he is getting better defensively and is playing better than his stats reflect. He has had like 4 Goals waved off (2 or 3 of which were terrible calls) So stats sometimes lie, and either way he is tied for 2nd on the team in scoring, and since the Wolves are really struggling this month I don't think the "Lack of scoring" only applies to him, the whole team is going through a slump and oddly enough Kass and JS have probably been the most consistent forwards on the team through it all.

- I never said it wasn't impressive, I said Garrison was a much better pick-up for us than him, and that us not getting him wasn't our 'mistake' cause there wasn't anything else we could do IMO. He is having an impressive season in the AHL right now but lets just see him do it in the NHL and maintain a solid 2-way game.

- I never said this, never even mentioned anything with Cody. I was/am actually a big Cody fan, not as much now but prior to the deal he was one of my favorite players (And had been for awhile, I didn't jump on the bandwagon I was one of the few defending him back in 09/10 & 10/11) I didn't think this was the case at all at the time, and I still don't think there was a big plan and that his ice time was completely altered but I could see us giving him an offensive zone faceoff here and there.

- Yes results, like folding like a broken tent everytime we face adversity. Lets' be 100% honest, any coach in the NHL could have made it to the finals with that team playing like they were. Everyone blames Luongo for the Hawks coming back and Boston coming back, I blame AV. Look at our team, we had no drive, no motivation. Then you see guys likie Deboer, Quinn, Bylsma, Hunter & Sutter who can get alot more out of his players with alot less to work with. AV lacks that ability to motivate, we have seen every playoff year we choke, 09 Playoffs we had a meltdown, 10 Playoffs we had a meltdown, 11 Playoffs we had a Meltdown, 12 Playoffs everyone took a vacation right before the damn thing started. You can blame the goaltenders all you want but am I the only one who sees a common theme? AV can't motivated his players, he rely's on them way to much to motivate them selves, and to pull themselves out of the dumps after a bad game but the coach has to step in and re-motivate the group, he hasn't been able to do it. He also plays favorites (Rome, Raymond) Doesn't use rookies properly IMO.

Regular season success, AV is great cause the team is a great regular season team, but in the playoffs when coaching becomes very vital, AV can't hack it. What do you want King? Another President's trophy or to make it past the 2nd Round of the playoffs?

zackass.png

#418 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

So are you implying that "no issues" means we get all the free agents?

I'm implying that maybe we have more issues than we think.

I'm also implying that if Gillis has the attitude that Vancouver's a "destination franchise", and that he thus shouldn't need to work very hard to land quality FAs (as appears to be the case with Schultz), that is a poor and risky attitude to have.

#419 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm implying that maybe we have more issues than we think.

I'm also implying that if Gillis has the attitude that Vancouver's a "destination franchise", and that he thus shouldn't need to work very hard to land quality FAs (as appears to be the case with Schultz), that is a poor and risky attitude to have.

His attitude is that we have a good opportunity here, and that we want to bring in character players who want to be here, want to be part of it and will buy into our system.

He & everyone in the organization pretty much have publicly said this alot of times I'm surprised you didn't know this.

zackass.png

#420 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

- Keith Ballard gets unfairly criticized, he had a good year last year, better than people give him credit for. He was injured and had a tough time when he first got here, but recently in the playoffs he was easily our best D-man and has really been regaining form late last year, him and Tanev should be a great 3rd pair for us.

2010-11: 65 GP, 2 G, 5 A
2011-12: 47 GP, 1 G, 6 A

I'm sorry, but you are not dealing with reality if you say that at $4.25M per year, Keith Ballard is "unfairly criticized".

- Anton Rodin's 8 Points in 18 Games isn't great, but when you consider that he has been in the bottom 6, and only playing every 2nd game it's not as bad as at face value. He has actually had some bright moments, he was on a line that was really rolling a while back, I think they got 4 point in 2 games or something like that and the genius Arniel broke them up. He had a rough start but was getting a bit better before the injury hopefully he can come back and do fine.

New question: if he's so good, what's he doing playing on the bottom 6? Is that another "Coach Conspiracy", like it is with Ballard?

Regular season success, AV is great cause the team is a great regular season team, but in the playoffs when coaching becomes very vital, AV can't hack it. What do you want King? Another President's trophy or to make it past the 2nd Round of the playoffs?

AV is just a convenient scapegoat for people unwilling to admit that the players simply did not perform. He's done nothing to warrant losing his job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.