The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

The Flames website has him listed as 5'6", his college team has him listed as 5'8". Either way, being Schroeder's height, and 30 pounds less is going to be pretty hard for him when he jumps up to the AHL and there's 200+ pound guys.

I'm sure he'll put on some weight, but 30 pounds worth is unlikely. There's a reason why players under 5'10" make the NHL way less. They always have to try and overcome their lack of height, which most of them don't.

Gaudreau and Gillies, who were 4th and 3rd round picks if you really want to go there

Also, Murphy was the one that shouldn't have made the team, not Wotherspoon.

You're crazy to think Sieloff won't make the team. In a short tournament like this chemistry is important. Him and Trouba have been together since U-18 and that will be the top pair for the US. You can quote me on that.

He's not out there to hurt guys. His game relies on his quickness, speed, and agility that allow him to change direction quickly. He's so shifty he doesnt even get hit that much. Add that to an abundance of skill and tenacity you have a pretty good prospect.

I might sound like the biggest homer right now :lol:, but you guys are in for a nice surprise this WJC with Johnny

Bieksa does not have half the skill that Ehrhoff has.

As you are not sure of a lot of things how about stop writing for a while and actually read what others say,De Niro?

Start with the comments and opinions from Samuelsson and Torres and how they think they were treated by Gillis.

Cervenka was the player you overpaid on the most.

And then even with re-signing your players Feaster hasn't manged to get the success Gillis has with respect to players taking haricuts, Stempniak for exxample hasn't earned the money you signed him too, and when you look at the great job we did with Higgin's extension you can see we are doing a better job in that respect.

If it meant nothing then there would be no need for the league. It is obviously an indication of development. For most guys it means something. And yes, you have the Jason Krog's of the hockey world where the AHL is the end of the line for them no matter how much they dominate the league.

Bieksa does not have half the skill that Ehrhoff has.

As you are not sure of a lot of things how about stop writing for a while and actually read what others say,De Niro?

Start with the comments and opinions from Samuelsson and Torres and how they think they were treated by Gillis.

This thread is very selective of MG's mistakes. Need I remind you of our other option in Dave Nonis, which in 2007-2008 landed our biggest summer signing in Brad Isbister, and that massive deadline deal for Matt Pettinger.

Gillis has made mistakes sure, but he's done a lot right. This 'culture of winning' as he calls it, bringing in sleep doctors, having an internal cap structure, on top of all that he never fails to disappoint come July 1st - always signing someone, and even the trade deadline you can get excited about as well. I'm a more avid fan because of Gillis.

I hate the Flames, and it pains me to say it, but they have a better prospect pool than us.

Just going off guys who I feel have some NHL potential if they reach their ceiling.

Baertschi > Jensen (Baertschi is a potential superstar, Jensen should be good 1st/2nd liner)

Gaudreau > or = Schroeder (Gaudreau has better skill, but will be in tough due to size)

Wotherspoon = Corrado (Both very solid all around, both will be good NHLers)

Jankowski < or = Gaunce (Both could be good 2nd/3rd liners with all around skill, Gaunce is a safer bet)

Nemisz < Kassian (Both are potential power forwards, Kassian has edge in most aspects)

Granlund > Rodin (Both offensively gifted, Granlund plays a more well rounded game)

Seiloff = Sauve (Both solid stay at home D, could be bottom pair D)

Brodie > or = Connauton (Both good offensive D, Brodies D game is slighly better at the time being)

Kulak > or = McNally (Both could be depth D, McNallys recent issues could hurt his development though)

Arnold > Labate (Both could be bottom 6 guys, Arnold has higher offensive potential)

Aliu > Grenier (Aliu should be good 4th line PWF, Grenier might be fringe NHL PWF)

Ramage = Price (Both could be depth D, both play solid all around game)

Wahl < Mallet (Both could be 4th liners, Mallet has physical edge)

Byron > Sweatt (Both could be call-up forwards, Byron already proved he can handle and produce in NHL)

All 3 of Horak, Ferland, and Reinhart > Any other forward prospects we have (All 3 should have NHL success)

However Tanev > Any other D prospects Calgary has (Already a decent bottom pair guy)

Brossoit and Gilles both > or = Cannata (All 3 could be decent back-ups, Gilles could be a starter)

Irving = Lack (Both should be good backups or 1A/1B starters)

Granted they have had better drafting positions and were able to nab Baertschi and Jankowski, but Jankowski probably wasn't the best pick at that spot and could prove to be a project.

We have a few really promising prospects, but the Flames have both a higher quality and higher quantity.

This thread is very selective of MG's mistakes. Need I remind you of our other option in Dave Nonis, which in 2007-2008 landed our biggest summer signing in Brad Isbister, and that massive deadline deal for Matt Pettinger.

Gillis has made mistakes sure, but he's done a lot right. This 'culture of winning' as he calls it, bringing in sleep doctors, having an internal cap structure, on top of all that he never fails to disappoint come July 1st - always signing someone, and even the trade deadline you can get excited about as well. I'm a more avid fan because of Gillis.

I hate the Flames, but they have a better prospect pool than us.

Baertschi > Jensen

Gaudreau > or = Schroeder

Wotherspoon = Corrado

Jankowski = Gaunce

Nemisz < Kassian

Granlund > Rodin

Seiloff = Sauve

Brodie > Connauton

Aliu > Grenier

All 3 of Horak, Ferland, and Reinhart > Any other forward prospects we have

Brossoit and Gilles both > or = Cannata

Granted they have had better drafting positions and were able to nab Baertschi, and Jankowski probable wasn't the best pick at that spot, but I can't say they still don't have a better prospect pool than us.

We have a few really promising prospects, but the Flames have both a higher quality and higher quantity.

I hate the Flames, but they have a better prospect pool than us.

Gaudreau > or = Schroeder

Wotherspoon = Corrado

Granted they have had better drafting positions and were able to nab Baertschi, and Jankowski probable wasn't the best pick at that spot, but I can't say they still don't have a better prospect pool than us.

Yeah,not one draft pick playing for the Canucks in five Gillis drafts.Batting 1000% there,huh?

Nonis signed a healthy Luongo and kept Ryan by matching the Clarke offer for Kesler.

He also signed the Sedins,whom he was partially credited with for drafting.

Edler,Raymond ,Hansen,Schneider-all Nonis picks.That is eight of the present roster's core players.

Add in the coach-that was a Nonis pick and hire.

How many draft picks does Gillis have in his core?

I disagree with those 2.

Corrado has more dimensions to his game IMO, Wotherspoon is having a good year points wise but he is also playing on a much better team loaded with top talent and when you compare there games Corrado is more rounded IMO and brings more, Wotherspoon is still good but I think Corrado has greater upside, then head to head at the selection camp Corrado was more impressive.

Gaudreau vs Schroeder is a tough one, I think = is fair. I disagree because Gaudreau is on the same path as Schroeder IMO, he is an undersized American that has a high skill level, but what happens when Gaudreau reaches the pro level? The same concerns will come up with him that Schroeder is facing, then you look at the fact they are at different stages, I say =.

You also Left off Tanev who is a much better comparison vs Brodie than Connaution, I would say Tanev = or > Brodie, and you also forgot about Lack, who is better than the goalies you mentioned and IMO better than Irving aswell. Even Sweatt is a much more fair comparison to a guy like Aliu or Ferland.

And there advantage in prospects IMO is due to there draft positions, they have had alot higher picks than us since Feaster has been calling the shots and we still match up alright against them.

Edit: I also agree with DeNiro's point on Jensen/Baertschi, right now Baertschi looks better I agree with that but Jensen is playing against good competition aswell I think better competition than Beartschi (SEL>AHL slightly IMO) and he has the advantage in size which will help him at the pro level.

Yeah I pretty much went and added more as soon as I posted it initially, I made the additional comparisons such as Irving to Lack and Sweatt to Byron. To me, Tanev isn't really a prospect at this point, but I guess that's fair as Brodie isn't much of one either.

I think both Corrado and Wotherspoon can be top 4 D in the league, at this point I wouldn't really pick one over the other.

Gaudreau is just dominating the NCAA in his second year, whereas Schroeder slid off somewhat in his second year. Like I added in my original comparison, I think Gaudreau has a higher ceiling, but will be in for a harder challenge to overcome his size.

To me, the way Baertschi handled himself in his call-up last year really showed a sign of good things to come (for him and Calgary, not for us), he looked like he was ready to hop into the NHL without slowing down at all.

Yeah,not one draft pick playing for the Canucks in five Gillis drafts.Batting 1000% there,huh?

Nonis signed a healthy Luongo and kept Ryan by matching the Clarke offer for Kesler.

He also signed the Sedins,whom he was partially credited with for drafting.

Edler,Raymond ,Hansen,Schneider-all Nonis picks.That is eight of the present roster's core players.

Add in the coach-that was a Nonis pick and hire.

How many draft picks does Gillis have in his core?

Archived