The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

As right as you are about Bieksa; we also could not afford to be completely void of the type of player that Bieksa is.

He is the only core defender (with respects to Ballard, he's never cracked our core) who will drop the mitts or create any accountability on opposing forwards. He is one of few on our entire team any good at fighting. But its not just fights, most important he was and is our only blue line right handed shot of any consequence. And lets face it, he is no worse than our third best, both, defensive and offensive blue liner. Where he lacks consistency he also is capable of contributing in many ways. What other defender drawing top match ups every night (yeah Hamhuis carries the D side, but...), a capable pugilist, who scores 40 plus points does not get $4.6 mill on the UFA market?

More of Erhoff's skills (although we certainly miss his skating and handling the puck) were replaceable without rebuilding the D core. We simply could afford to loose Bieksa less.

Yep, because then you just over paid for Bieksa 1 year later.

I love the short-term memories of Canuck fans. Bieksa's been as hot-and-cold as anybody on this team, year-by-year. Twice he's been the whipping boy and I would venture a guess that that trend will continue.

I far would've rather the Canucks invested in Ehrhoff, due to the scarcity of his skillset.

I love the short-term memories of Canuck fans. Bieksa's been as hot-and-cold as anybody on this team, year-by-year. Twice he's been the whipping boy and I would venture a guess that that trend will continue.

I far would've rather the Canucks invested in Ehrhoff, due to the scarcity of his skillset.

This thread is very selective of MG's mistakes. Need I remind you of our other option in Dave Nonis, which in 2007-2008 landed our biggest summer signing in Brad Isbister, and that massive deadline deal for Matt Pettinger.

Gillis has made mistakes sure, but he's done a lot right. This 'culture of winning' as he calls it, bringing in sleep doctors, having an internal cap structure, on top of all that he never fails to disappoint come July 1st - always signing someone, and even the trade deadline you can get excited about as well. I'm a more avid fan because of Gillis.

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?

2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?

3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?

4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)

5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL

6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?

7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

Dan Hamhuis would've signed here if it was Robert Pickton recruiting him, so I don't think that's fair.

And the Canucks weren't able to land local boy Schultz, who 90% of this board figured was our guy to lose, so I wouldn't be so sure of this. Also, what happened with Shane Doan?

Was Hamhuis a certainty to sign here prior to July 1st? Just as much a certainty as Sakic, Neidermeyer, Kariya and any other BC boy has been over the years. You don't know for certain until free agency begins.

AGAIN, Schultz was given the maximum allowed offer from Gillis. He wasn't ours to lose, It was 100% his choice where to sign for that maximum allowed offer. As usual, fans here (and 90% are idiots) assumed he would choose Vancouver because of his tie here. They were wrong. He chose the best opportunity for ice time and the quicker road to the big payday.

Doan chose to remain loyal to HIS team. Just because a player is from BC doesn't mean playing for the Canucks is his greatest desire. Sakic and Doan chose loyalty. Neidermeyer chose family. Kariya chose to stay outside of Canada. Schultz chose opportunity. UFA players actually get to make their own choice. Hence the term "unrestricted".

My point, which appeared to go over your head, was everytime (and I do mean everytime) a quality BC boy is on the open market the idiots here automatically assume they "want" to sign here. It's simply not the case. You don't know until free agency actually begins. Has there been some: yes. But every one them: no. They each have their own agenda from loyalty to money to opportunity. Schutz in particular wasn't MG's to lose. MG could only make the maximum allowed offer. After that it was 100% up to Schutlz. The only way you could blame MG in that situation is if he didn't make the maximum allowed offer or didn't make an offer at all. Kariya wants to play here. Sakic wants to come home. Doan wants to come home. Neidermeyer wants to play here. And there have been many more. Foolish assumptions. You know what they say about assumptions....

4 division titles and 2 president's trophies. I don't think it's hurting us.

In a few years we're going to have an influx of well rounded prospects who are ready to play at the NHL, instead of learning as they go, because the proper amount of time was taken to develop them.

Still, I mean in terms of a fair comparison. Brodie to Connaution really isn't a fair comparison besides there skillset.

It's like comparing Wotherspoon to Corrado, there skillset isn't the same but it is a much more fair comparison then Corrado vs a lower level prospect.

So really

Brodie = or < Tanev (IMO)

Brodie > Connaution

Archived