Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

• Please log in to reply
552 replies to this topic

#31 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Do you think any of those 4 guys would be getting 1.5 PPG in the AHL, today?

Don't be so sure that Schultz wouldn't be able to outplay those guys for increased ice time. Nobody expected Ehrhoff to do what he did here.

Maybe Schultz thought exactly that he wouldn't be able to outplay those guys. He specifically stated that he joined Edmonton because of the ice time and the youth. There's a lot of appeal playing with guys your age. But I know you're content with blaming the Canucks management for this so I await your reply.
Posted Image

#32 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Do you think any of those 4 guys would be getting 1.5 PPG in the AHL, today?

Don't be so sure that Schultz wouldn't be able to outplay those guys for increased ice time. Nobody expected Ehrhoff to do what he did here.

Wow, just wow. First of all, the AHL is miles away from the NHL.

Could Bieksa or Edler put up 1.5 PPG in the AHL? Are you freakin kidding me? These guys put up 40 and 50 points in the NHL! You know, the best league in the world? You honestly think Schultz is just gonna waltz in and do that, while trying to learn the speed of the NHL, and not get manhandled in the defensive end?

I can see now why alot of people underestimate our prospects. They seem to think that AHL success is linked to NHL success, when in fact the complete opposite has been proven.

No Schultz would not beat out established NHLers because he put up points in the AHL. You're not defending against AHL plugs in the NHL, and you're not shooting on AHL goaltenders. The game is 5 times faster in the NHL.

And Ehrhoff was already a 40+ point defenseman when he was brought in. He was brought in to be a top 4, so yes, everyone did expect him to be good.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 December 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#33 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I think we all know that success in the AHL doesn't always translate to success in the NHL.

True, but this site's servers would be crashed and Marine Drive would already be renamed if we had a guy in the AHL - a defenceman, no less - averaging 1.5 PPG in the AHL.

You're not giving what Schultz is doing enough credit.

#34 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

The only way you could have gotten Schultz was offered him top 4 and PP time, which would have shown massive disrespect to your legit top 4 guys. Guys on the team would have lost respect for Gillis. On Gillis's team you earn your spot - that's the proper way unless you are the oilers who are crappy and can't attract players.

The AHL is not the NHL. The guy seems legit but the level at the NHL is 'the level'.

#35 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Wow, just wow. First of all, the AHL is miles away from the NHL.

Could Bieksa or Edler put up 1.5 PPG in the AHL? Are you freakin kidding me? These guys put up 40 and 50 points in the NHL! You know, the best league in the world? You honestly think Schultz is just gonna waltz in and do that, while trying to learn the speed of the NHL, and not get manhandled in the defensive end?

Your answer is yes, than? You're saying that Kevin Bieksa would be getting 1.5 PPG if he was in the AHL, today? Fat chance.

Only the most dominant AHL players - Getzlaf, Perry, for example - have done what Schultz is doing right now. And Getz & Perry only played in 17 and 19 games. You're not giving what Schultz is doing enough credit.

I can see now why alot of people underestimate our prospects. They seem to think that AHL success is linked to NHL success, when in fact the complete opposite has been proven.

No Schultz would not beat out established NHLers because he put up points in the AHL. You're not defending against AHL plugs in the NHL, and you're not shooting on AHL goaltenders. The game is 5 times faster in the NHL.

And Ehrhoff was already a 40+ point defenseman when he was brought in. He was brought in to be a top 4, so yes, everyone did expect him to be good.

Show me a case of a rookie putting up similar numbers in the AHL and going on to not have a good NHL career. This is not Mark Mancari or Jason Jaffray we're talking about here. This is a 22 year-old rookie.

#36 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?
2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?
3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?
4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)
5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL
6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?
7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

1) Like Jagermeister stated...we just lost out on the sweepstakes. Sure Schultz was from BC, but Edmonton could him top pairing-minutes. Something we weren't prepared to do.

2) Luongo was THE MAN in his first few seasons in Vancouver. It was only after his multiple playoff meltdowns when people started to question whether he was worth the money we gave him. Guaranteed if we had a cup in Luongo's era (which isn't over) then everyone would like his contract.

3) Hodgson was apparently a pain in the a**, and wanted 2nd line minutes. Our need at the time was not depth at centre, it was grit, and scoring ability. Kassian will surely give us both in time.

4) Pat McNally can't even be considered a bust yet. He was drafted in the 4th rd and is still very young. So what if he doesn't return to Harvard.... what were your expectations for him, as a 4th rd pick? Mine weren't/ aren't that high.

5) Pahlsson was referred to by the Sedins...and had cup-experience. Is it our fault, we met an unstoppable force in the LA Kings in the 1st rd, in Pahlsson's only season with the Canucks?

6) Corrado is a sick beauty who should have made Team Canada. Gaunce's injury was untimely, but how is this are these mistakes by the Canucks?

7) Count your blessings. Past, does not = Present and this lockout might be a lottery draft, giving us a chance to snag in position in the draft. Sure our chances of getting a top 5 pick are slim, but there's at least a chance, and I'd be thankful for that.

To me, none of these events are costly, and I wouldn't even consider them "mistakes" but rather 'choices' that are seen differently from other people's perspective'. You and I, especially, seem to see things very differently..

Good day,
Sir

Edited by Zoolander, 18 December 2012 - 05:27 PM.

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#37 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Your answer is yes, than? You're saying that Kevin Bieksa would be getting 1.5 PPG if he was in the AHL, today? Fat chance.

Only the most dominant AHL players - Getzlaf, Perry, for example - have done what Schultz is doing right now. And Getz & Perry only played in 17 and 19 games. You're not giving what Schultz is doing enough credit.

Show me a case of a rookie putting up similar numbers in the AHL and going on to not have a good NHL career. This is not Mark Mancari or Jason Jaffray we're talking about here. This is a 22 year-old rookie.

Well first of all, if you wanna ask if Bieksa and Edler could put up 1.5 points per game, you have to make all things equal. So since Schultz is playing with the Oilers top 2 ppg players from the NHL (Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins), then Bieksa or Edler would get to play with the Sedins (the Canucks top 2 ppg players).

So do I think that Edler and Bieksa could put up 1.5 points per game playing with the Sedins in the AHL? Hmmm, I think they could put up more than that. Especially with the amount of powerplays that are given out in the AHL.

Getzlaf and Perry didn't get to play with two top NHLers when they were in the AHL. And if you think Schultz's success has nothing to do with Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins, well you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

You seem to think that points equals everything for a player. There's alot more to being a defenseman than putting up points. If that's all it took to win games, the Barons would win every game.

Schultz will put up points in the NHL, but not nearly at the rate he is now. And he's certainly going to have to learn to play better defensively.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 December 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

#38 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,507 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

You're joking, right? One would have to be so dumb to think that a D man that put up 40+ points last year, wouldn't put up 1.5 ppg in the AHL? Give me a freakin break...

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#39 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

We have Connauton,not to worry.
2 G,8 A and a -10.
14 G ,24 A and a +13 for Justin.
Schultz was quoted a million times as wanting to play for the Canucks.
In the end ,Deadmonton came out and convinced Schultz to play in Edmonton-Gretzky and Coffey plugging Edmonton privately to the kid.
Can anybody here tell me what the Canucks offered as incentive?
This looks pathetic for even the most ardent Canucks management prop boy on CDC.
Must have been a real sell job.

#40 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

As I said, whether it is decisions out of the teams' control (like the tragic loss of Bourdon, the NHL lockout, etc) or whether it was in their control (trading for Ballard, Ehrhoff walking, trading Hodgson mid season and for who, signing Lui for an excessive multi year contract, etc) the observation made was whether it seems the decisions that are made in 'hindsight' are making the Canucks for the better or for the worst?

If there's decisions made or 'non decisions' made that have worked for the best in the past 2-3 seasons, then go ahead and list them. I said one positive was Higgins/Lapierre being added (which helped the cup run).

To me it seems a high % of calls, non-calls haven't seemed to pan out lately? If so, what does that say about the team direction and decision makers?

As for Corrado - let's hope it doesn't hinder his development being cut and missing out on a potential gold medal championship. Not often a Canuck draft pick plays at the World's and the fact he played well is strange he got cut...

And as for Schultz - he's going to be a player in the NHL. Not Jon Slaney but more Nik Lidstrom.

#41 nucklebucker

nucklebucker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Corrado taking a developmental step back?

When Corrado started the year noone would have dreamed that he would have been invited to that camp. Sure he didn't make the team but if the lockout ends or there is an injury on D, he's on Team Canada! If that draft was redone now, he would go within the 1st round.

Corrado has taken a huge leap in development. Just saying.

#42 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?
2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?
3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?
4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)
5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL
6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?
7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

1) Definetly a huge mistake, because we can just snap our fingers and get any player to choose our team over everyone else. But seriously, We did everything we could, he just didn't choose us.

2) Yeah it doesn't seem like the right thing, back then it looked alot better than it did now, so hindsight is a luxury that is kinda unfair to the process at the time, no one could have predicted what has happened back when we made the deal. So in hindsight yes it wasn't the right call but it is hindsight. And I don't think it will affect our ability to move him, teams want him still and if we really want to get rid of his that bad we could have already given in to the other teams prices, but it will probably affect the ultimate value of the return, not significantly but a bit.

3) Hodgson didn't want to be here, what we got in return is something that we don't have, and once developed is nearly impossible to acquire, Kassian brings intangables you can't put a reasonable price on, plus we already have Schroeder, and with him having a good season last year it probably gave us more confidence that we could make that more. And we also have Gaunce is on the way aswell, so I don't think we made a mistake.

4) No I like the pick, if he can get in the right situation I think he can still continue his development without flaw but this lockout is bad news for him at the moment, hopefully something comes up but I am optimistic he will still continue to develop.

5) We gave up nothing, The picks aren't high at all. Sammy wasn't bad in his time here atleast I thought, didn't pay the dividends we hoped but this isn't unexpected. It was a need, and we got it without giving up anything really. So I don't think it was a mistake at all, infact it was a good move as far as I'm concerned.

6) Corrado was an outstanding steal, no way he was predicted to have become this good, I don't know how you can ever bring him up as a mistake. And Gaunce was battling an injury and is actually playing fine now. His production will drop but under the circumstances, I'm not worried. And I definetly don't see it as a mistake, I was happy he fell and I am still happy we managed to get him where we did.

7) I do worry about this, each time is different so I don't think looking back and seeing things didn't turn out well (Aside from 94/95 cause I think it affected us much if at all that year, we still had the season we should have, atleast on paper) doesn't have any correlation as to what could happen this time, although if the season gets wiped out it is something to think about.

zackass.png

#43 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

And as for Schultz - he's going to be a player in the NHL. Not Jon Slaney but more Nik Lidstrom.

A third of a season in the AHL tells you that?

I get that the guy is good, and it's impressive what he's doing in the AHL. But the overhyping needs to stop.

Did anyone ever think that maybe Schultz just didn't wanna play here? Why is that such an unbelievable idea to so many people? Not everyone wants to play in Vancouver, even if he was a Canucks fan. The guy obviously saw a better opportunity for his development in Edmonton, with less pressure, and a group of young players to develop with.

Management can only do so much. You can't force a player to sign here.

Posted Image

#44 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

We have Connauton,not to worry.
2 G,8 A and a -10.
14 G ,24 A and a +13 for Justin.
Schultz was quoted a million times as wanting to play for the Canucks.
In the end ,Deadmonton came out and convinced Schultz to play in Edmonton-Gretzky and Coffey plugging Edmonton privately to the kid.
This looks pathetic for even the most ardent Canucks management prop boy on CDC.
Must have been a real sell job.

first name of person of gretzky or coffey caliber that played for the Canucks that is willing to convince him. All we can offer is a chance to win the Stanley cup which we did.

#45 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

The real mistakes were the Luongo contract/ensuing goaltender fiasco and somehow alienating the best prospect we've seen in this organisation since the Sedins (CoHo). Those are the types of things that are impossible to know just how much they will hurt you and how much they already have...

#46 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

That's ironic,DeNiro.

"Over hyping needs to stop?" You are kidding us? Tell me you are kidding us.

The kid is leading the entire AHL in scoring and he is a rookie d man.

Take a few reality pills and get back to us.Justin has almost 50% more pts. than the entire D corps of the Wolves- combined.

Can you tell us what Canucks management offered up to Schultz as incentives to sign here? Name one thing.

Alain sitting you at the end of the bench so he can keep his job?

Sitting next to a very talented Keith Ballard every night while you watch Alberts and Joslin play?

Watching Tanev take all your minutes while never scoring an NHL goal?

Canucks management are not known as player development overachievers.

This team is crying for a talented offensive d man to compliment the Sedins and the next generation.

It's like they dislike talented d men as they sure don't covet them.It is evident this mgmt. does not understand how important offensive pivots really are-Ehrhoff allowed to walk over Bieksa,Salo,Schultz.How many former NHL offensive d men are in positions of mgmt. on this club?

Edited by nuck nit, 18 December 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#47 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

The only thing that could be considered to be a "mistake" is associated with #5, where the entire 2007 draft was bad (the previously mentioned Ellington pick). Otherwise, it was a good trade to get Pahlsson.

As has been pointed out by others, some of these things aren't even mistakes (#1, #7), or are events which are beyond the team's control (#6). If Gaunce gets injured, is that the Canuck's fault? If Corrado plays well enough to stay and the coaches of that team make a choice based on personal preference which does not favour Corrado, is this the Canucks' fault? Should the Canucks have drafted the guy named Corrado who is 6' 6", weighs 240 lbs skates like the wind and has a cannon for a shot?

If McNally doesn't pan out, then he doesn't pan out. He was a 4th round pick in 2010. I suspect that the coaches are not counting on him to become the next Bobby Orr.

And I have no problems with #2 or #3, especially #3.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#48 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

POPULAR

This thread was a mistake in hindsight...

6104d373-1a23-4efe-aa1c-cc63679010d4_zps716fa427-d766-42cf-a22d-90b1f8e9d39e_zps

#49 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

A third of a season in the AHL tells you that?

I get that the guy is good, and it's impressive what he's doing in the AHL. But the overhyping needs to stop.

Did anyone ever think that maybe Schultz just didn't wanna play here? Why is that such an unbelievable idea to so many people? Not everyone wants to play in Vancouver, even if he was a Canucks fan. The guy obviously saw a better opportunity for his development in Edmonton, with less pressure, and a group of young players to develop with.

Management can only do so much. You can't force a player to sign here.

Schultz is just a product of the Edmonton over-hype CDCers seem to love. RNH, Eberle and Schultz are playing in the AHL and the Barons are 4th in their division and 7th in the conference (3 points ahead of the Wolves with 2 more GP). All those guys can put up points, but if that's all there was to success, they'd be destroying the AHL. A quick look at Schultz' stats show that he's raking in assists thanks to Eberle who just pulled in a 4 goal game. He's just getting his numbers bolstered, hereby referred to as "getting Hodgsoned".

Also it looks like you all missed the story that was written after Schultz made his decision that a certain journalist who shall not be named made up a bunch of fictions to get Canucks fans' hopes up. He claimed that Schultz' parents were diehard Canucks fans (they're hockey fans that live in BC but aren't terribly pro-Canucks versus other Canadian teams) and that they were Canucks ticket holders (they weren't). And the kid chose Edmonton for god sakes. He could have gotten amazing development from Detroit, Philly, or us and passed it up to play on a team that has done nothing devleopment-wise to supplement their high draft picks. Soon some of those players will be leaving, especially given the new cap. The kid made a dumb decision, but that's not on us.

#50 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Well, there was talk that Gillis was going to trade away Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts and Tanev so that Schultz could have his guarantee that he'd get top minutes.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#51 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Schultz has been an absolute stud this year.
What he is doing right now would be difficult for even some of the best D-Men in the NHL to pull off, but in saying that, it in no way means he's better than they are.
Look at Jake Gardiner and OEL, both had 30+ points in the NHL last year, and are hovering around 1 PPG in the AHL this year, well under Schultz's pace. But looking at all 3 players, I would say that they are about equal in skill set.
So for people saying Bieksa or Edler could easily replicate Schultz's numbers in the AHL this year, I would have to disagree, but this does not mean that I think Schultz is a better D-Man.
Posted Image

#52 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Actually Eberle is leading the AHL in scoring. Schultz is 5th I believe. Also they have the highest GP right now so that won't last.

#53 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Even in a lockout, there's stupidity like this...

#54 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

As for Corrado - let's hope it doesn't hinder his development being cut and missing out on a potential gold medal championship. Not often a Canuck draft pick plays at the World's and the fact he played well is strange he got cut...

Didn't I hear something about this years team captain once being cut from the team? Doesn't mean anything.

Actually, four of the top 10 scoring WJ's went on to become Canucks. Bure (3), Naslund(6), Mogilny(4) and Tikkanen(5)

#55 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

You forgot kopitarz :rolleyes:

Exactly.

I think this op is trying to look smart. Or mabey he's looking for attention because he was picked on in school.
Posted Image

#56 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,898 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

What? No one brought up Neely yet?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#57 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Schultz has been an absolute stud this year.
What he is doing right now would be difficult for even some of the best D-Men in the NHL to pull off, but in saying that, it in no way means he's better than they are.
Look at Jake Gardiner and OEL, both had 30+ points in the NHL last year, and are hovering around 1 PPG in the AHL this year, well under Schultz's pace. But looking at all 3 players, I would say that they are about equal in skill set.
So for people saying Bieksa or Edler could easily replicate Schultz's numbers in the AHL this year, I would have to disagree, but this does not mean that I think Schultz is a better D-Man.

Salo had 3 goals in the AHL last year.
Posted Image

#58 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,533 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

In hindsight, we've never won the cup, so technically everything we've witnessed so far is a mistake. In hindsight.
Posted Image

#59 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Actually Eberle is leading the AHL in scoring. Schultz is 5th I believe. Also they have the highest GP right now so that won't last.

Eberle and Schultz do not have more than one GP than any other top 10 scorer.
Eberle and Schultz are far and away the league's two top scorers.Nobody else comes close.
Justin now shares the lead for scoring with Eberle but has led the entire league in scoring by himself :
http://theahl.com/st...statdisplay.php

The fact is that there is a case for Schultz as the best prospect in the league. The 22-year old defenceman is leading the entire AHL in scoring – in a lockout year, no less – as a rookie professional. His 35 points this season are three more than second-place Jordan Eberle, and eight more than the next-nearest skater.
http://oilersnation....pect-in-the-nhl

Edited by nuck nit, 18 December 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#60 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

That's ironic,DeNiro.

Take a few reality pills and get back to us.Justin has almost 50% more pts. than the entire D corps of the Wolves- combined.

Can you tell us what Canucks management offered up to Schultz as incentives to sign here? Name one thing.

So calling him the next Lidstrom is not over-hyping him? Okay gotcha.

He has 50% more points than the entire Wolves D-core? So what? The wolves D-core sucks this season, except for Tanev, and he's not an offensive D-man.

I don't know what the Canucks offered, I wasn't there, and neither were you. What a stupid statement.

It doesn't matter if the Canucks offered him 60 minutes a game, he didn't wanna sign here. Stop whining about it and move on. You're just making yourself look ridiculous.

Oh and I overhype our prospects as much as you try and tear them down, so I wouldn't talk if I were you.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 December 2012 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.