Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Lunch Lady Fired for Giving Free Lunch to Low-Income Student

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#31 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Feeding hungry children is admirable (though doing it at school should be redundant in any western welfare state).

Why the need to operate a food service industry for everyone though? Seems odd to subsidize food for everyone especially given the obesity epidemic in children today!

The reality is children learn much better when they are not hungry/starving .. the sad reality is much of the money going to parents of poor children is being used for cigarettes and junk food .. just go to your local supermarket on "welfare Wednesday" and observe the buying patterns ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#32 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Feeding hungry children is admirable (though doing it at school should be redundant in any western welfare state).

Why the need to operate a food service industry for everyone though? Seems odd to subsidize food for everyone especially given the obesity epidemic in children today!

What?? Obesity?? This is a healthy lunch provided to make sure kids are well fed so they can concentrate on school studies. It's a great program. Every kid gets a subsidized meal not just low income kids. Read my post above. $1.25 for a complete meal including milk and a piece of fruit (apple, orange or pear etc.) If your family is poor then you don't pay for the meal at all.

My school had every sports team possible, except ice hockey of course. The kids looked bigger than college students here. They were all healthy and well fed. Not like here hanging out in the smoke pit in the back of the school. As a matter of fact we didn't even have a smoke pit.

Edit. Unlike the article posted a few posts above suggests sugary drinks ie coke, soda etc were not available as part of school lunch. Only 2 options, regular milk or chocolate milk. If you wanted to drink pop there was 1 pop machine and 1 snack machine for approximately 2000 students. This was not covered by the school lunch program.

Edited by WHL rocks, 19 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#33 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

The reality is children learn much better when they are not hungry/starving .. the sad reality is much of the money going to parents of poor children is being used for cigarettes and junk food .. just go to your local supermarket on "welfare Wednesday" and observe the buying patterns ..

Again it was not just the poor families who's children got subsidized meals. If you purchased a meal it would only cost $1.25. It's a federal program to make sure all kids have food in their stomach so they can concentrate on studies.

As far as buying cigarettes etc. in the US you don't get cash, you get food stamps. You are only allowed to buy grocery items with this money. Of course this gets abused and ppl find ways around it but the govt' is attempting to fix this problem.

#34 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

I agree. Fully in fact. Heck, it's how I grew up. Except you forgot booze as well. But close enough.

But why have an entire cafeteria system in the school? The children can bring their lunches and eat at their desks or whatever.

Would that leave the poor kids behind because they have nothing? Yep. But in it's stead I would be the first in line to donate to a charity that give them the food instead. Instead they spend a whole bunch of money on the food and the infrastructure to feed everyone - including those that have no need for charity.

#35 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

What?? Obesity?? This is a healthy lunch provided to make sure kids are well fed so they can concentrate on school studies. It's a great program. Every kid gets a subsidized meal not just low income kids. Read my post above. $1.25 for a complete meal including milk and a piece of fruit (apple, orange or pear etc.) If your family is poor then you don't pay for the meal at all.

My school had every sports team possible, except ice hockey of course. The kids looked bigger than college students here. They were all healthy and well fed. Not like here hanging out in the smoke pit in the back of the school. As a matter of fact we didn't even have a smoke pit.

Edit. Unlike the article posted a few posts above suggests sugary drinks ie coke, soda etc were not available as part of school lunch. Only 2 options, regular milk or chocolate milk. If you wanted to drink pop there was 1 pop machine and 1 snack machine for approximately 2000 students. This was not covered by the school lunch program.

That the food is healthy or not is irrelevant in the US and even here there's massive shortfalls in education funding. If you don't have enough money for learning why the heck are they spending it on food that their parents should be providing?

#36 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Again it was not just the poor families who's children got subsidized meals. If you purchased a meal it would only cost $1.25. It's a federal program to make sure all kids have food in their stomach so they can concentrate on studies.

As far as buying cigarettes etc. in the US you don't get cash, you get food stamps. You are only allowed to buy grocery items with this money. Of course this gets abused and ppl find ways around it but the govt' is attempting to fix this problem.

And how pray tell would that be possible? You name a fix and I can find a workaround in under ten seconds.

All that would really be happening is increasing bureaucracy. If people are going to drink and smoke their welfare away there's nothing you can do to stop that other than cut them off entirely which then simply makes them homeless instead.

#37 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

That the food is healthy or not is irrelevant in the US and even here there's massive shortfalls in education funding. If you don't have enough money for learning why the heck are they spending it on food that their parents should be providing?

Same reason they provide for teacher's pay, books, janitors, counselors and the school building. With your logic should the parents pay for the teacher's pay and books etc??

#38 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

And how pray tell would that be possible? You name a fix and I can find a workaround in under ten seconds.

All that would really be happening is increasing bureaucracy. If people are going to drink and smoke their welfare away there's nothing you can do to stop that other than cut them off entirely which then simply makes them homeless instead.

What happens is these food stamp recipients sell the food stamps at local corner stores or small grocery stores for less than face value. The store owner cashes out the full value but only provides the customer .75 cents on the $ but in cash instead of following the law and selling only approved items.

The govt needs to spend for effort enforcing the law and starting to go after the store owners. They have started to put more effort in this regard lately.

#39 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Low income students? They should get better jobs. Or second ones.

#40 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Same reason they provide for teacher's pay, books, janitors, counselors and the school building. With your logic should the parents pay for the teacher's pay and books etc??

Those are all core to learning.

By your logic should the government pay for the child's clothing, haircuts, breakfast, and dinner regardless of whether or not the service is actually needed by the child in question?

#41 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

What happens is these food stamp recipients sell the food stamps at local corner stores or small grocery stores for less than face value. The store owner cashes out the full value but only provides the customer .75 cents on the $ but in cash instead of following the law and selling only approved items.

The govt needs to spend for effort enforcing the law and starting to go after the store owners. They have started to put more effort in this regard lately.

Then all you do is go in and buy a bunch of canned and dry storage goods and sell it for 50 cents on the dollar. Just buy you groceries from the local food stamp people with booze and smokes. Now they are the store owners. How you going to stop that?

It's foolish to think more enforcement and bureaucracy will make someone give up smokes or booze simply because they are poor.

#42 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

What's next? Universal health care?

Whatever happened to FREEDOM?!? As in, freedom to let a kid starve because his mom didn't fill out some papers...

If a light snack between the previous night's dinner and when the student got home from school would have starved them, there's much bigger problems with that kid's life than the school.. and it wouldn't be surprising in the least bit.

The issue here is personal accountability for one's own child. You are placing your ire on the school for following their own protocol. I'm placing responsibility on the parent for not following up on something like their child eating a full meal while at school. Lack of responsibility placed on parent here is rather disgusting but not surprising given the superficial and hyperbole-laden "starving" gimmick.

By your logic should the government pay for the child's clothing, haircuts, breakfast, and dinner regardless of whether or not the service is actually needed by the child in question?

Careful, logic is something Hitler used. :lol:

#43 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thread Godwinned again on page 2. Brilliant.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 19 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#44 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thread Godwinned on page 2. Brilliant.

I had my money on midway through the first page, glad I'm not a gambling man. haha.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#45 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thread Godwinned on only page 2. Brilliant.

Actually it was godwinned on page one there, selective reader..

I had my money on midway through the first page, glad I'm not a gambling man. haha.

You would have been much closer than drama queen up there. :lol:

Edited by zaibatsu, 19 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#46 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

The govt does pay for all above mentioned services if the child needs it. I don't think the govt should pay if the family can afford it. That would be ridiculous The govt does pay for your child's teachers, counselors, books etc. regardless if you can afford it or not. This lunch program is considered essential to learning. Its a federal govt. program.

Do you pay your doctor when you go visit him/her? Because you can afford it you still don't pay do you?

Americans feel it's vital to learning that every child have food in their stomach while at school. We feel if the child is hungry or starving they would not be able to concentrate on their studies as much as they would if they were well nourished.

We don't have to agree. But I'll tell you what, I've gone to school on 3 different continents and in many different countries and cities. Including Canada and the US. Nothing compares to American school system. Most members of my family are going to or have gone to school in the US, including grade school to University. It's the best system in the world.

The US is not like Canada. There is extreme poverty in the US. The likes of which I have not seen in Canada. And I've driven thru or spent time in almost every town between Vancouver and Montreal. For many children the one meal at school is the only decent meal they 'll get all day. It's money well spent. The US produces the best athletes and some of the smartest ppl in the world. The system seems to be working and I feel the lunch program has a positive affect on these results.

#47 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

*Personal attack comments removed*

You would have been much closer than drama queen up there. :lol:

Nice personal attack against Tearloch7 there.....should really have read that over before hitting 'post', Zed.

Previous post amended to reflect the double-Godwin

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 19 December 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#48 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Then all you do is go in and buy a bunch of canned and dry storage goods and sell it for 50 cents on the dollar. Just buy you groceries from the local food stamp people with booze and smokes. Now they are the store owners. How you going to stop that?

It's foolish to think more enforcement and bureaucracy will make someone give up smokes or booze simply because they are poor.

No one thinks it will completely stop. It's impossible to stop ppl from drinking and driving in BC even when it costs over $5k and you have to take courses, counselling and install a device in you car when caught.

But I'll tell you what. This being a sports team forum and us being sports fans you should know many athletes (most in NBA and NFL and many in MLB) made it to the big leagues because of the school lunch program and food stamp program.

There are countless number who did not make it to the major leagues but went to college and got an education because of these programs.

Like I said earlier, some kids in my high school in the US looked like university/college athletes in Canada. They were all well fed and healthy. This is the reason they excelled in sports. Many others excelled in school because they got a descent meal and went on for higher education.

Imo a full stomach is just as important as having a text book. You can have all the books but if you are starving you can not concentrate on anything else. You won't have the energy to study, will power alone won't cut it.

#49 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

No one thinks it will completely stop. It's impossible to stop ppl from drinking and driving in BC even when it costs over $5k and you have to take courses, counselling and install a device in you car when caught.

But I'll tell you what. This being a sports team forum and us being sports fans you should know many athletes (most in NBA and NFL and many in MLB) made it to the big leagues because of the school lunch program and food stamp program.

There are countless number who did not make it to the major leagues but went to college and got an education because of these programs.

Like I said earlier, some kids in my high school in the US looked like university/college athletes in Canada. They were all well fed and healthy. This is the reason they excelled in sports. Many others excelled in school because they got a descent meal and went on for higher education.

Imo a full stomach is just as important as having a text book. You can have all the books but if you are starving you can not concentrate on anything else. You won't have the energy to study, will power alone won't cut it.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the sentiment you have, but some people are looking at more than just the sentiment of feeding a child. I'm a little stunned at the lack of criticism of the parent.

#50 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I don't think anyone disagrees with the sentiment you have, but some people are looking at more than just the sentiment of feeding a child. I'm a little stunned at the lack of criticism of the parent.

Why blame the parents? Leftists love to take responsibility off the individual and put it onto the state.

Yes, this goes for something as laughable as "parenting"

#51 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Nice personal attack against Tearloch7 there.....should really have read that over before hitting 'post', Zed.

Previous post amended to reflect the double-Godwin

The Z-man aka "Vacillation Boy" aka "Health Care Bum" has me on ignore apparently, so I feel free to act brazen in the hopes his "friends" will find it outrageous enough to "copy it to him" .. a man can dream .. :wacko:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#52 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

The Z-man aka "Vacillation Boy" aka "Health Care Bum" has me on ignore apparently, so I feel free to act brazen in the hopes his "friends" will find it outrageous enough to "copy it to him" .. a man can dream .. :wacko:

Posted Image

'

(Unless I've joined you there, which is a good possibility! It's much 'easier' to put someone on ignore and not have to answer when they've been pinned to the wall than it is to man up and admit they might be wrong. Pure cowardice on their part.)

Need to go back and read the OP again but if it took two months for Chartwells to realize something was up, was the food the lunch lady was giving this young lad not extra food that would have been thrown out anyway? If so, what was the big deal, then?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 19 December 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#53 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Why blame the parents? Leftists love to take responsibility off the individual and put it onto the state.

Yes, this goes for something as laughable as "parenting"

Not sure it's a leftist or rightist issue. This federal program known as the "National School Lunch Program" has been around for decades. Since 1940's.

#54 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Not sure it's a leftist or rightist issue. This federal program known as the "National School Lunch Program" has been around for decades. Since 1940's.

If you're not sure look to who was President at that time..

#55 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

If you're not sure look to who was President at that time..

And you should look at all the presidents that have held office since. More Republicans than Democrats. 10 to 5.

#56 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

And you should look at all the presidents that have held office since. More Republicans than Democrats. 10 to 5.

I'll overlook your historical ignorance about Republicans and Democrats, especially prior to JFK.

I will, however, note that by any contemporary standards of Republican and Democrat, this wouldn't have happened under any Republican President, rest assured.

#57 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Sure the mother should have registered as low income parent but there are a lot of programs available at school parents aren't aware about.

I bet there are programs available in Canada you are not aware of. only reason I came to know of this program was because one of our employee's children went to school with me and she made us aware. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. I'm sure there were students at my school who were born and bred in the US who did not know of this program or other similar programs.

Isn't it the school's irresponsibility to tell the student about available program instead of sneaking him/her meals? If the lunch lady helped guide the student to a counselor to do the necessary paperwork instead this could have been solved in a day.

#58 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thread Godwinned again on page 2. Brilliant.

????

Maybe I don't hit the religion threads enough to know I guess.

#59 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'll overlook your historical ignorance about Republicans and Democrats, especially prior to JFK.

I will, however, note that by any contemporary standards of Republican and Democrat, this wouldn't have happened under any Republican President, rest assured.

lol. I'll take your word for it.

#60 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Of course children that are well fed perform better.

And of course you have to have some sort of social safety net. I was simply pointing out that no amount of bureaucracy would stop food stamp fraud. Heck, don't even bother with that just give them cash.

I am simply saying that having a huge government run food industry is a waste of money since it subsidizes every students meal AND takes up space in the school that could be dedicated to other uses.

If there was no school lunches I would be the first to donate to a charity that provided them to the poor. I know first hand what it's like to not have enough to eat when growing up and have already had a lifetime supply of mustard sandwhiches to prove it.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.