Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Lunch Lady Fired for Giving Free Lunch to Low-Income Student

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#61 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sure the mother should have registered as low income parent but there are a lot of programs available at school parents aren't aware about.

I bet there are programs available in Canada you are not aware of. only reason I came to know of this program was because one of our employee's children went to school with me and she made us aware. Otherwise I wouldn't have known. I'm sure there were students at my school who were born and bred in the US who did not know of this program or other similar programs.

Isn't it the school's irresponsibility to tell the student about available program instead of sneaking him/her meals? If the lunch lady helped guide the student to a counselor to do the necessary paperwork instead this could have been solved in a day.

No doubt, because I'm not low income and would prefer saving it for those who need it.

About the second bold.. I don't think we know enough about the situation, but the lunch lady said she had tried to get in touch with the mother but she doesn't speak English.

I don't think the lunch lady could have done any more, in fact, she did so much she got herself in trouble.. I don't see how one could pin something on her to do more.

#62 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Of course children that are well fed perform better.

And of course you have to have some sort of social safety net. I was simply pointing out that no amount of bureaucracy would stop food stamp fraud. Heck, don't even bother with that just give them cash.

I am simply saying that having a huge government run food industry is a waste of money since it subsidizes every students meal AND takes up space in the school that could be dedicated to other uses.

If there was no school lunches I would be the first to donate to a charity that provided them to the poor. I know first hand what it's like to not have enough to eat when growing up and have already had a lifetime supply of mustard sandwhiches to prove it.

I don't disagree with you on the food stamp scam part. It's part and parcel Helps a lot of ppl but of course some abuse it. Just like our welfare system in Canada. They get cash and head straight to the dope dealer.

#63 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,743 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

No doubt, because I'm not low income and would prefer saving it for those who need it.

About the second bold.. I don't think we know enough about the situation, but the lunch lady said she had tried to get in touch with the mother but she doesn't speak English.

I don't think the lunch lady could have done any more, in fact, she did so much she got herself in trouble.. I don't see how one could pin something on her to do more.

Not blaming her, rather I just suggested she could have taken the kid to the counselor or the rep who handled low income applications instead of sneaking him meals for 2 months.

Not her job to call the mother. The appropriate school staff would know what to do. Nevertheless she's obviously a good person to care about the student and to do this while putting her job in jeopardy.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.