The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MOTHER SENDS SON NAMED 'JIHAD' TO SCHOOL WEARING 'I AM A BOMB' T-SHIRT

InTheCrease

AVIGNON - A French mother is to appear in court after dressing her three-year-old son, whom she named Jihad, in a t-shirt with the words "I am a bomb" written across his chest.

A nursery-school teacher alerted the police when her pupil came into school wearing the t-shirt, with his name written on his back and "Born September 11" beneath it.

2370259_56681144-3b40-11e2-9faa-00151780182c_640x280.jpgScreenshot from Le Parisien

The mother has confirmed that little "Jihad" was in fact born September 11, 2009.

Contacted by La Provence newspaper, the mother said that she was "gob-smacked" that the incident had provoked so much controversy.

She told La Provence: "I didn't intend anything by it. The word 'bomb' is used in the sense that he is a beautiful kid, nothing more." (In French, 'bomb' is slang for 'hot stuff').

"If it has shocked anyone then I am sorry, but I really didn't mean anything by it. I am Muslim, but I am not a practicing one. I live a European lifestyle. It's just a simple phrase on a t-shirt, there's nothing dangerous about it," she said.

According to Le Parisien, which has published a photo of the young boy, the t-shirt was given to him as a present from his uncle.

The 32-year-old Muslim woman and the boy's uncle will appear in court in Avignon on December 19, where they may face a suspended prison sentence and a symbolic fine of one euros. http://www.worldcrunch.com/world-affairs/mother-sends-son-named-039-jihad-039-to-school-wearing-039-i-am-a-bomb-039-t-shirt/french-court-terrorism-muslim-hipster/c1s10300/#.UNI6xW-5OLE

"If it has shocked anyone then I am sorry, but I really didn't mean anything by it. I am Muslim, but I am not a practicing one. I live a European lifestyle. It's just a simple phrase on a t-shirt, there's nothing dangerous about it,"

Regardless of the translation of the comment in French on the front of the t-shirt, this mother is either the most clueless egg incubator in the world or the most deliberately stupid. How can anyone alive in the world today not realize that what was written on that t-shirt would be sure to offend a great many people? And to put it on a three year old and send them off to nursery school in it is tantamount to child abuse.

Regardless of the translation of the comment in French on the front of the t-shirt, this mother is either the most clueless egg incubator in the world or the most deliberately stupid. How can anyone alive in the world today not realize that what was written on that t-shirt would be sure to offend a great many people? And to put it on a three year old and send them off to nursery school in it is tantamount to child abuse.

Archived