The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG & LG on Team 1040 - 12/19/12

Strombone1

MG: We'll find out when we get going what the opinions of fans are.

LG: everywhere I go, people are asking if we’re going to be playing hockey soon.

MG: far more difficult to rationalize this lockout than the last one.

<Does it gnaw at you knowing the Sedins have a window of winning?>

I don’t look at it that way.

Culture of winning more important than a time period to win.

Ryan looks good, he’s happy. Talked to him yesterday. We’re all confident he’s going to be back on the ice and at full speed. It wont be long after we start that he’ll be back on ice.

LG: We weren’t happy the agent reported the status of our player to the media without our knowledge. Talked to Kurt about it. Spoke to Kesler about it. He’s working very hard to get better. These things happen in the business. Not sure what Overhardt’s motivation could be to announce Ryan’s months away. We told him what our expectations are.

<Word on the street is it's for the paycheck>

MG: hold on, hold on, hold on. I was an agent for a long time. When you’re an agent you often want to protect them or put them in the best light possible. In this case he was overzealous that he wanted to protect Ryan whenever he came back. I’ve known him for a long time, I would be astounded if he did something nefarious like that.

We don’t rush players back. Not sure why Kurt chose to do that. We’ve had a discussion with him. We set the record straight. Sometime there is an error in judgment and you move on.

LG: Edler is still a young player. It's not an unnatural thing that he’s accepting the fact that there’s going to be some measure of pain going forward. It is a process. Alex has benefited from the depth of players that we’ve had. He’s still an evolving hockey player. People need to curve their expectations of him. He has most of his career ahead of him than behind him.

MG: There’s no timeline. You need support form your teammates. Confidence comes and goes with everybody.

Very disappointed for Corrado. Very pleased he showed up and he handled it well!

LG: the reason he got as far as he did, Hockey Canada had very high risk high payout players. Scouts kept looking at him and noticed he's a very reliable player. He's got Tanev qualities. That enables your horses to take the puck and run.

<opening clip back from commercial break is from Gillis’ press conference when he took over, ”I think this needs to get faster, more grit, more competitive.”>

MG: We as an organization have a lot to be proud of. We’ve been in more playoff games than any other team. Sometimes you make mistakes, it’s a hard business. We’re not trying to fool anybody. We’ve said when we didn’t feel we had a good team.

During our tenure here we’ve seen an evolution in social media. Twitter and different mechanisms are very different than it was back then. There are times it absolutely infuriates me when the power it can have with 1 comment on a story. There are times when it begins to pile on, it really bothers me.

LG: in the confined of closed doors I give it to Mike heavily. I think this is an exceptionally brutal hockey market. I’ve watched some mercilessly things that have been written about our players. We yearned for as much coverage back in Phoenix as here.

MG: the things that bother me are not criticisms of players or us. It’s the fact that one small thing that can be real distractions that grow out of control.

LG: The media was brutal to Keith when he first got to Vancouver. He’s gotten used to it and that makes him a better player.

MG: Only way we can go through West is if we have multiple players that play different minutes. We have to really manage 10 players’ ice time to get through it.

We love Bieksa at 21 minutes. Not so much at 26 minutes. He won’t be able to last here.

I listened to it but +1 for writing that down.

Loved the Ballard comments, absolutely true.

Also loved when he was talking about the early projections and the headline in the Sun when he got here "The losing starts now", and how they were supposed to finish in the bottom 5.

Then of the Corrado comments were great too, nice to hear from these guys in such a dark time for the NHL.

I listened to it but +1 for writing that down.

Loved the Ballard comments, absolutely true.

Also loved when he was talking about the early projections and the headline in the Sun when he got here "The losing starts now", and how they were supposed to finish in the bottom 5.

Then of the Corrado comments were great too, nice to hear from these guys in such a dark time for the NHL.

I agree with Gilman when he said Ballard hasn't gotten a fair shake with the media and in turn the fans.

I think Ballard is an important piece of the puzzle going forward and he did play well at the end of last season.

Tanev and Ballard as 5-6 D-men gives us a strong D which we'll need to go far in the playoffs (IF THERE'S A SEASON).

I agree with Gilman when he said Ballard hasn't gotten a fair shake with the media and in turn the fans.

I think Ballard is an important piece of the puzzle going forward and he did play well at the end of last season.

Tanev and Ballard as 5-6 D-men gives us a strong D which we'll need to go far in the playoffs (IF THERE'S A SEASON).

i thought that was one of the better interviews gillis has given he actually answered the questions and gave some insight.

wish hockey GM's were as open as alex anthopoulos is with the bluejays im not sure if thats just alex or if its normal in baseball ( i dont watch it at all) but i sure learned a lot from a few interviews of alex's

Archived