47 replies to this topic

#1 freshoutofjail

freshoutofjail

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hey I just got a speeding ticket in the states for $247 and I really don't want to pay it. You guys think I can get away with not paying it ?

#2 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hey I just got a speeding ticket in the states for $247 and I really don't want to pay it. You guys think I can get away with not paying it ?

Yeah. If I were you I would skip out on insurance and car payments as well.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#3 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

They are ruthless in the states for tickets etc. You can choose not to pay but if you enter the states again and its overdue you will be pulled over, car towed and your problems become alot worse. Impound lots in USA are ridiculous and very time consuming.

Pay the ticket and take it easy when you are out of country, that's my 2 cents.

fept5bc.jpg

#4 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

High tail it to Mexico, it's your best bet.
The margaritas and señoritas will be more than a fitting welcome.

Edited by Jägermeister, 19 December 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

#5 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

You sound like an upstanding citizen, I doubt they will hassle you over it.

#6 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Oh for sure. I mean, you were just speeding and got caught. Why should you pay for breaking the rules?

Also, I suggest you keep going down there and continue to speed, try to break this speeding tickets speed. Make it a game. They like that down there.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 19 December 2012 - 09:09 PM.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Didn't pay for a ticket in Ontario on a BC licence and I was able to get insured and licensed there a decade or so later np.

I've skipped out on 3 or 4 tickets in the states dating way back as well.

Read into that what you will.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

lmfao I love his CDC name

Germany-2014-World-Cup-Final-Champions-W

#9 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Lol.

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#10 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Almost as bad as those Impark dicks giving you a ticket five minutes after pass expired.
Posted Image

#11 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

High tail it to Mexico, it's your best bet.
The margaritas and señoritas will be more than a fitting welcome.

Watch out for the gangs though..

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#12 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Here's 5 pages of advice - http://forum.canucks...shington-state/

#13 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

My advice - pay the ticket.

Per the Globe and Mail back in March 2012:

I was shopping in the United States and was given a speeding ticket in Washington state. I hold a B.C. driver’s licence and am insured in B.C. Do I have to pay the U.S. ticket? Are there any consequences if I don’t pay? – Tasnim in Surrey, B.C.

Not all Canadians are as successful south of the border as Justin Bieber, or as lucky. Supposedly he’s been stopped by traffic police and let off – three times.

It won’t surprise you that according to Washington State Patrol spokesman Dan Coon, a Canadian driver who receives a speeding ticket in Washington has three options: pay by mail, request a remediation hearing, or head down and contest it through the courts. You may have left your inhibitions at the border, but you still have responsibilities.

But what if you did choose to do nothing?

“We create a record for that driver in our system and add the citation to their record. When it’s reported to us that it’s unpaid, we suspend that individual’s driving privilege here in Washington. If the driver was to return and get pulled over, they would run a status check and find out that individual was driving with a suspended driving privilege, which is essentially equivalent to driving without a licence,” says Washington State Department of Licensing spokesman Brad Benfield.

What happens when you’re caught with a suspended driving privilege may depend on the discretion of the law enforcement officer who pulls you over.

“I can’t talk for our county sheriffs or city police, but the troopers we do give a lot of discretion. If the suspended driver operating the vehicle is travelling with other people they may be allowed to continue on, but that particular individual may no longer drive in Washington state. If travelling alone, that individual may need to have someone come and pick them up, or have their vehicle towed. We will not, however, just leave someone on the side of the road,” says Coon.

You could encounter trouble crossing the border if you’re operating a vehicle and have a suspended driving privilege in the United States.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection “strongly advise you to pay your traffic tickets, particularly moving violations. While unpaid tickets would not subject you to arrest unless a warrant is issued, you may be subject to a more intensive inspection if your record is not clear.”

Even if you don’t plan on heading south again, there are consequences to an unpaid U.S. ticket. “In prior years it was, ‘How are they going to get me?’ but a recent law allows the courts to use collection agencies if you fail to pay your fine. You’ll receive notification that your fine has been submitted to a collection agency, who will recoup the monies,” says Coon.

According to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), B.C. does not have a reciprocal agreement with Washington for traffic violations, so a cross-border speeding ticket would not affect your driver’s record or insurance in B.C. A criminal driving offence, however, is another matter.

ICBC adds: “When information is received from the U.S. that a driver has been convicted of an offence equivalent to a Canadian Criminal Code driving offence, the offence would be added to the driver’s record in B.C. and the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles would take action against the driver equivalent to the punishment for that offence in B.C.”

It’s a good time to wheel out the old cliché: if you do the crime, you should pay the fine.

If the reasons above haven’t convinced you, take note that the delinquency can also affect your credit record if the collection agency reports it. On top of everything else, it would be a shame if you were refused at the checkout on your next shopping trip.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#14 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Watch out for the gangs though..

They won't catch him, too fast. I'd suggest keep on agoin to the next border and beyond. The road just keeps on going you know.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#15 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

They won't catch him, too fast. I'd suggest keep on agoin to the next border and beyond. The road just keeps on going you know.

He might try Formula-1 or NASCAR instead. speed isn´t enought for him...seriously. pay the ticket, you would have more problems if you try cross the border without solve this problem...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#16 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,649 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Pay the ticket.

And while you're at it, stop speeding too.

Posted Image

#17 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

$247? how fast did they say you were going? (and how fast were you really doin'? :shock: )

Edited by hudson bay rules, 20 December 2012 - 10:27 AM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#18 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I was given a $50 ticket for speeding there a few years ago. That is the lowest amount they will give. I didn't pay it for a while and I got a few notices in the mail saying that if I don't pay it by *this date* we will pass it along to collections. I didn't want that hanging over my credit rating so I paid it. However, they tacked on a late penalty of $50! So it cost me double. It was on the I5 in Snohomish county near Arlington. Different counties might be less vigilant.

#19 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,045 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Didn't pay for a ticket in Ontario on a BC licence and I was able to get insured and licensed there a decade or so later np.

I've skipped out on 3 or 4 tickets in the states dating way back as well.

Read into that what you will.

I thought you were all Mr. Safetydriverguy?

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#20 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

What's with ppl being all self righteous and grilling this guy for trying to get out of a $250 speeding ticket? How many ppl never go over the posted speed limit. Who's never gotten a speeding ticket and kicked them selves in the butt after. Who likes paying speeding ticket fines?

The US is different with speeding laws. In BC it's unlikely you get pulled over for being over the limit by 5 to 10 km p/hr. In the US you will definitely get pulled over if caught going 5 miles p/hr over the limit.

OP, dispute the ticket. Go down there, try to convince the judge the officer made a mistake. There is a good chance you win or at least the fine will be reduced. When the judge finds out you came all the way down from Canada to present your case the judge will be more likely to believe you. This happened with my real estate agent. The judge was surprised he drove all the way to Seattle for the hearing, the ticket was dismissed. But my agent was adamant to me that the officer was wrong. So if you think the officer might have made a mistake give it a try.

#21 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

What's with ppl being all self righteous and grilling this guy for trying to get out of a $250 speeding ticket? How many ppl never go over the posted speed limit. Who's never gotten a speeding ticket and kicked them selves in the butt after. Who likes paying speeding ticket fines?

The US is different with speeding laws. In BC it's unlikely you get pulled over for being over the limit by 5 to 10 km p/hr. In the US you will definitely get pulled over if caught going 5 miles p/hr over the limit.

OP, dispute the ticket. Go down there, try to convince the judge the officer made a mistake. There is a good chance you win or at least the fine will be reduced. When the judge finds out you came all the way down from Canada to present your case the judge will be more likely to believe you. This happened with my real estate agent. The judge was surprised he drove all the way to Seattle for the hearing, the ticket was dismissed. But my agent was adamant to me that the officer was wrong. So if you think the officer might have made a mistake give it a try.

No one likes to pay for speeding tickets. But, part of growing up is when you do something wrong, you buck up and face the consequences.
Posted Image

#22 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Many prudes in here. Fight the power.

#23 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

It's about taking responsibility for, and accepting the consequences of, your actions.You know, like most mature people do instead of trying to duck the fact that they broke the law and are doing what they can to get out of having to accept responsibility for their own behavior.

The speeding ticket is the consequences of his actions. Pay it, learn from it and pay attention to the posted speed limit in the future so he don't get another one and has to come to a hockey board for answers as to how get out of paying yet another one.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 20 December 2012 - 10:31 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

No one likes to pay for speeding tickets. But, part of growing up is when you do something wrong, you buck up and face the consequences.

When was the last time you went over the speed limit, then went to the police station to tell them what you did and ask to give you a ticket?

Or do you just own up to something you did wrong because you got caught by the authorities?

Yeah that's what I thought. Real righteous.

#25 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

This is exactly what happened the last time someone posted this - all the squares showed up.

Of course you should surrender your hard-earned money to some foreign government - apparently it's the canadian way.

(null)

#26 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

This is exactly what happened the last time someone posted this - all the squares showed up.

Of course you should surrender your hard-earned money to some foreign government - apparently it's the canadian way.

(null)

I'll start the trolling process by saying I went 90mph in a 60mph zone on the I-5.

#27 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

(null)

You're an idiot.

Pay the ticket. Your insurance claims can go up. Also, they may not let you back in the country down the line.

Got to be SUPER careful while driving in the states. US cops are trained to pull over people with out of state license plates anyways, don't give them more motivation.

That country is amazingly odd with a few things. Apparently driving 10 miles over the speed limit on a highway, is more dangerous than everyone owning an automatic rifle.

In Texas, non lethal shootings, get you less jail time, than small possessions of marijuana.

#28 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

American cops will pull you over for going over the slightest. Got pulled over on D street in Blaine for going 43mph in the 40mph zone on D street. Luckily because I'm dual citizen and my Nexus states my USA citizenship he let me off.

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#29 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Just because others do it doesn't mean he has any justification for not paying the fine. He got caught speeding, he should pay up. Maybe think twice about speeding in another Country, or at all for that matter if he doesn't want to pay up.

I always thought it was just common sense not to speed down there, apparently not.

I don't get people nowadays. They know by doing certain things they can get a ticket or in trouble, so they take the risk anyway. Then when they get caught, they whine about it and try to get out of it. There are consequences for doing certain things if you get caught, whether you like it or not.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 20 December 2012 - 11:04 PM.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#30 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

You're an idiot.

Pay the ticket. Your insurance claims can go up. Also, they may not let you back in the country down the line.

Got to be SUPER careful while driving in the states. US cops are trained to pull over people with out of state license plates anyways, don't give them more motivation.

That country is amazingly odd with a few things. Apparently driving 10 miles over the speed limit on a highway, is more dangerous than everyone owning an automatic rifle.

In Texas, non lethal shootings, get you less jail time, than small possessions of marijuana.

You shouldn't be calling people idiots, especially when you have no clue what you are talking about.

If you don't pay the ticket your insurance claims go up?? How does that happen? Does OP go to ICBC and make claims against himself?? or do the Washington State Police file a claim against OP's insurance company?? Who makes claims against your insurance??

If you meant to say insurance cost goes up then you are just as far from reality?? How does not paying a speeding ticket in a foreign country make your car insurance rate in BC go up??

Even if what you say is true (its not but lets pretend) wouldn't the reason for your insurance rate to go up be speeding and getting a ticket? The dangerous part is you speeding which may cause an accident so you are a higher risk to insure for ICBC, not the fact you don't pay your bills on time.

Your insurance rate doesn't even go up if you get a ticket in Canada, it definitely won't go up for an unpaid fine in the US.

US immigration will not bar you from entry into US because you didn't pay a speeding ticket. If they don't want to let you in they can deny you entry for hundreds of reasons. If no other issues unpaid speeding tickets aren't going to keep you out. If anything you can use this as a legitimate reason for your trip to go across the border. You can say you are going there to pay your ticket.

Edited by WHL rocks, 20 December 2012 - 11:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.