The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speeding ticket in the states

freshoutofjail

They are ruthless in the states for tickets etc. You can choose not to pay but if you enter the states again and its overdue you will be pulled over, car towed and your problems become alot worse. Impound lots in USA are ridiculous and very time consuming.

Pay the ticket and take it easy when you are out of country, that's my 2 cents.

My advice - pay the ticket.

Per the Globe and Mail back in March 2012:

I was shopping in the United States and was given a speeding ticket in Washington state. I hold a B.C. driver’s licence and am insured in B.C. Do I have to pay the U.S. ticket? Are there any consequences if I don’t pay? – Tasnim in Surrey, B.C.

Not all Canadians are as successful south of the border as Justin Bieber, or as lucky. Supposedly he’s been stopped by traffic police and let off – three times.

It won’t surprise you that according to Washington State Patrol spokesman Dan Coon, a Canadian driver who receives a speeding ticket in Washington has three options: pay by mail, request a remediation hearing, or head down and contest it through the courts. You may have left your inhibitions at the border, but you still have responsibilities.

But what if you did choose to do nothing?

“We create a record for that driver in our system and add the citation to their record. When it’s reported to us that it’s unpaid, we suspend that individual’s driving privilege here in Washington. If the driver was to return and get pulled over, they would run a status check and find out that individual was driving with a suspended driving privilege, which is essentially equivalent to driving without a licence,” says Washington State Department of Licensing spokesman Brad Benfield.

What happens when you’re caught with a suspended driving privilege may depend on the discretion of the law enforcement officer who pulls you over.

“I can’t talk for our county sheriffs or city police, but the troopers we do give a lot of discretion. If the suspended driver operating the vehicle is travelling with other people they may be allowed to continue on, but that particular individual may no longer drive in Washington state. If travelling alone, that individual may need to have someone come and pick them up, or have their vehicle towed. We will not, however, just leave someone on the side of the road,” says Coon.

You could encounter trouble crossing the border if you’re operating a vehicle and have a suspended driving privilege in the United States.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection “strongly advise you to pay your traffic tickets, particularly moving violations. While unpaid tickets would not subject you to arrest unless a warrant is issued, you may be subject to a more intensive inspection if your record is not clear.”

Even if you don’t plan on heading south again, there are consequences to an unpaid U.S. ticket. “In prior years it was, ‘How are they going to get me?’ but a recent law allows the courts to use collection agencies if you fail to pay your fine. You’ll receive notification that your fine has been submitted to a collection agency, who will recoup the monies,” says Coon.

According to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), B.C. does not have a reciprocal agreement with Washington for traffic violations, so a cross-border speeding ticket would not affect your driver’s record or insurance in B.C. A criminal driving offence, however, is another matter.

ICBC adds: “When information is received from the U.S. that a driver has been convicted of an offence equivalent to a Canadian Criminal Code driving offence, the offence would be added to the driver’s record in B.C. and the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles would take action against the driver equivalent to the punishment for that offence in B.C.”

It’s a good time to wheel out the old cliché: if you do the crime, you should pay the fine.

If the reasons above haven’t convinced you, take note that the delinquency can also affect your credit record if the collection agency reports it. On top of everything else, it would be a shame if you were refused at the checkout on your next shopping trip.

I was given a $50 ticket for speeding there a few years ago. That is the lowest amount they will give. I didn't pay it for a while and I got a few notices in the mail saying that if I don't pay it by *this date* we will pass it along to collections. I didn't want that hanging over my credit rating so I paid it. However, they tacked on a late penalty of $50! So it cost me double. It was on the I5 in Snohomish county near Arlington. Different counties might be less vigilant.

What's with ppl being all self righteous and grilling this guy for trying to get out of a $250 speeding ticket? How many ppl never go over the posted speed limit. Who's never gotten a speeding ticket and kicked them selves in the butt after. Who likes paying speeding ticket fines?

The US is different with speeding laws. In BC it's unlikely you get pulled over for being over the limit by 5 to 10 km p/hr. In the US you will definitely get pulled over if caught going 5 miles p/hr over the limit.

OP, dispute the ticket. Go down there, try to convince the judge the officer made a mistake. There is a good chance you win or at least the fine will be reduced. When the judge finds out you came all the way down from Canada to present your case the judge will be more likely to believe you. This happened with my real estate agent. The judge was surprised he drove all the way to Seattle for the hearing, the ticket was dismissed. But my agent was adamant to me that the officer was wrong. So if you think the officer might have made a mistake give it a try.

Archived