The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Ben Gibbard as a person, I would kind of like to smack, yeah. But John Phillips raped and impregnated his daughter, and still wrote one of my favorite albums of all time, so Ben's sissy emo bs is easily tolerable as long as he write's good songs. Which he isn't, anymore.

Apparently Mars Volta are officially broken up over Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's new project Bosnian Rainbows.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/24/the-mars-volta-splitting-up

The good news? Bosnian Rainbows just released their first track, and it's .... really good. Kind of like a cross between Rush and The Police, but a bit weirder:

http://snd.sc/XzgJG5

There's a ton of Death Cab songs I really love (also, interestingly enough, wasn't too high on The Postal Service. But it has enough promise that I'd be interested in another) but for some reason, I really, really loved this single. Maybe it's because it's optimistic and cheery, maybe because it was on a bad album. I don't know.

road trip to spain, anyone?

Primavera Sound's lineup:

my bloody valentine

the postal service

nick cave and the bad seeds

grizzly bear

wu tang clan

the knife

phoenix

animal collective

jesus and mary chain

tame impala

woods

hot chip

deerhunter

camera obscura

kurt vile

crystal castles

foxygen

swans

four tet

liars

christopher owens

meat puppets

mount eerie

dinosaur jr

man if i had money

That song is good, Bookie, which is surprising for me because the Mars Volta is one of my least favourite bands, pretty much ever. And I made an effort to like them, as I was huge on At The Drive-In, back in the day.

i'm crossing my fingers for a at the drive in reunion here.

i actually enjoy the mars volta's first couple records haha, wanky prog rock if there was but it can be fun

wouldn't pay to see any of the headliners in concert, but there are so many gems further down in that lineup.

modest mouse, lou reed, youth lagoon, alt-j, earl, sigur ros, spiritualized, kurt vile, the xx, new order, james blake, tame impala, wu-tang, father john misty, and thee oh sees are all artists i haven't seen and am very interested in seeing.

what i meant was that i would see blur if i was there, but if they came to vancouver i wouldn't pay over like $40 to see them.

i guess coachella is banking on phoenix putting out an album this year that's as big/bigger than the last one.

anyone else find it weird to see Phoenix headlining every festival ever, this year?

i had no idea they were even that popular

They didn't really crack North America until their last album. But I think they have been big in Europe for a few albums now. And with songs like Consolation Prizes, it's easy to see why. Great pop music, that's tame enough for the masses to accept, and not lame enough for the hipsters to reject.

I think they're a good band. Also, I've seen them live on TV a few times, and they absolutely crushed it each time. Using Hume's analogy, I'd drop $40 to see them live.

-------------------------------

LONG-WINDED STORY-TIME!:

The situation reminds me of Muse. I kind of liked their Sing For Absolution album when it first came out (must be about 9 years ago now), but didn't know anything about them. Was going to a lot of concerts at the time, so bought tickets to the show at The Commodore for around $20. Bought 3, because I wanted to take a girl I was interested in, and thought I'd score points by grabbing a ticket for her music-loving friend. Why not? They were so cheap. By the day of the concert, my roommate (and long-time buddy) was interested in the aforementioned music-loving friend. So I told him to come with us, and grab a ticket from a scalper. He didn't have a lot of money, but I figured they couldn't be more than $30-40.

So we get to The Commodore, and the scalpers are asking upwards of $70-80 a ticket! I couldn't believe it. The album was fine and all (although severely overdramatic), but what was driving the prices? They were too high for my buddy, and I didn't have a lot to spare then either. So the music-loving girl my friend was interested in said that he should just take the 3rd ticket.

It was kind of a strained situation, since neither my buddy or the girl I was into wanted to desert the friend. So I suggested a compromise, that everyone agreed to. I sold all 3 tickets to the scalper for a sweet profit, and with the proceeds I bought drinks and snacks for everyone. I mean, who cared? They were just some band I'd barely heard of. Then we all headed back to my place, watched a movie, and had a great time.

Nothing happened with the girl I was into - turned out to not be my type. And a few months later, I heard that Muse had been named "The Best Live Band in Britain", which kind of annoyed me at the time. Turns out they were already HUGE in Europe, and sold out stadiums there in short-order. I knew immediately that wouldn't get the chance to see them in a venue that small again.

However, in the end, my buddy married the other girl. And really, no matter how good they are live, it turns out Muse kind of sucks. So all-in-all, I think I made the right choice.

Ahhh...memories...

Good story, but man, saying this around here might get you banned

And really, no matter how good they are live, it turns out Muse kind of sucks. So all-in-all, I think I made the right choice.

Remember a few years ago when CDC was in love with Muse and pretty much the whole forum was at their Vancouver concerts? haha. I dunno, never been a big fan myself, they just seem soo pompous, which is probably why I dislike Mars Volta as well

Widespread Panic, Primus, Gov’t Mule, Phil Lesh & Friends, The Avetts, ALO, Amy Helm and More Confirmed for Mountain Jam

382171_10151254543958895_1583913642_n-353x.jpg

Phil Lesh & Friends, Widespread Panic, Gov’t Mule, Primus,

The Avett Brothers and Dispatch are among the acts slated to appear at the 9th annual Mountain Jam this spring. As previously reported, the multi-band festival—which was founded by Radio Woodstock and Warren Haynes—will return to Hunter, NY’s Mountain Jam from June 6-9, 2013. Other acts slated to appear include: Gary Clark Jr., Soulive, Deer Tick, Jackie Greene, Rubblebucket, ALO, Amy Helm, Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers, The Revivalists, David Wax Museum and SIMO. Phil Lesh & Friends, Widespread Panic and Gov’t Mule will all perform full, two-set shows. Additional acts will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

This will be Panic’s only Northeast festival appearance in 2013.

This is the first time Mountain Jam will host a full-day of music on Thursday. Other new festival additions include car camping, a Food Truck Village, Super VIP experiences and more.

Here’s a look at the festival’s lineup

Phil Lesh & Friends (2 sets)

Widespread Panic (2 sets)

Gov’t Mule (2 sets)

Primus

The Avett Brothers

Dispatch

Gary Clark Jr.

Soulive

Deer Tick

Jackie Greene

Rubblebucket

ALO

Amy Helm

Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers

The Revivalists

David Wax Museum

SIMO

I'd kill for tickets to this incredible jam....Panic and Phil on the same stage with Primus and Mule...I have to get my hands on tickets to this.

was finally able to check out that Foxygen album, and wow, totally has Rolling Stones vocals, and sounds just like The Zombies at times too

wasn't super crazy about it though. definitely will give it a couple more listens, but i think my expectations were just a bit different. after all, what's a mick jagger without a keith richards? the music just wasn't that great for me, but i think it'll grow on me

Archived