The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

This year looks grim for a progrock fan like me: The Mars Volta is disbanded already for a few months and Steven Wilson put Porcupine Tree on hiatus. :/

Sound of Contact is one of the new progressive rock groups on the scene. Porcupine Tree is one of their influences, and their debut album has received some great reviews thus far. Their album sounds like a mixture of classic sounds from such artists/bands as early Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, and Peter Gabriel, while incorporating modern alternative influences from bands like Coldplay and Radiohead. The band's co-founder has worked in the past as a sound designer with Alan Parsons, Keith Emerson, Steve Hackett, Neil Peart, Jon Anderson, and Francis Dunnery amongst others. They were at Marillion weekend in Montreal this March, and just this month toured with Spock's Beard and Beardfish. Most reviewers have scored it at least 4/5, and some have scored it 5/5.

I would really recommend checking them out. So far in most progressive rock circles, these guys have been receiving a lot of attention. They're being featured in Prog Rock Magazine and a bunch of other publications as well.

Sound of Contact is one of the new progressive rock groups on the scene. Porcupine Tree is one of their influences, and their debut album has received some great reviews thus far. Their album sounds like a mixture of classic sounds from such artists/bands as early Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, and Peter Gabriel, while incorporating modern alternative influences from bands like Coldplay and Radiohead. The band's co-founder has worked in the past as a sound designer with Alan Parsons, Keith Emerson, Steve Hackett, Neil Peart, Jon Anderson, and Francis Dunnery amongst others. They were at Marillion weekend in Montreal this March, and just this month toured with Spock's Beard and Beardfish. Most reviewers have scored it at least 4/5, and some have scored it 5/5.

I would really recommend checking them out. So far in most progressive rock circles, these guys have been receiving a lot of attention. They're being featured in Prog Rock Magazine and a bunch of other publications as well.

i expected this to suck but its actually good oh man

i expected this to suck but its actually good oh man

Hehe, why did you have such low expectations? They're a very promising band with an incredibly strong musical background, especially in prog. They are true descendants of Genesis and Pink Floyd. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting. :)

You guys have different tastes in music than me, I guess I am new enough on the scene to not mind the stuff thats been done a whole lot before... I am into rock, usually, and not hardcore but I'll listen to anything really good.

Not much for pop at all (in reply to the guy a couple of pages back, I don't mind One Republic).

It was released late 2012, but check out a band called WHY?. Totally different than anything I've heard before.

My favourite Canadian band is Hey Rosetta!

New National album is on repeat. Haven't heard an album this good in years.

Seconded.

It's funny, the National haven't really changed their basic song structures at all, but they somehow get better and better with each album. Boxer will always have a special place with me (first album of theirs I heard), but Trouble Will Find Me is simply phenomenal.

When the guitar solo hits in I Should Live In Salt, it shakes me to the core. There's just something about the build-up, and the tone/effect on that note they hit - it's so simple, and yet so brilliant.

just spent an expensive weekend in vancouver which all but confirmed my worst feelings about the city

however, the Tame Impala show, for me, was just phenomenal

did you guys go?

Every weekend in Vancouver is expensive. Even if you stay home!

I just went out there for ten days, and it pretty much rained the whole dam time.

You guys have different tastes in music than me, I guess I am new enough on the scene to not mind the stuff thats been done a whole lot before... I am into rock, usually, and not hardcore but I'll listen to anything really good.

Not much for pop at all (in reply to the guy a couple of pages back, I don't mind One Republic).

It was released late 2012, but check out a band called WHY?. Totally different than anything I've heard before.

My favourite Canadian band is Hey Rosetta!

Try a few of the thread favourites - you may be surprised. We are mostly guys who just like good music, and are willing to search for it.

Tame Impala's Lonerism is an outstanding rock album. May as well start there, and see if you like. I turned quite a few regular Joes on to that album, and nearly all of them love it.

You seen them live, D? I am not in post-concert bliss here or anything when I say this, but it's probably my favourite live performance I've seen.

No, just online clips. Didn't really blow me away, but being there is a different thing entirely, obviously.

My favourite show was of course Tom Waits. The only one I've seen recently who came close was Bon Iver - they were freakin AMAZING.

You seen them live, D? I am not in post-concert bliss here or anything when I say this, but it's probably my favourite live performance I've seen.

haha oh come on don't say that.

i ended up moving back to the island like 10 days before the show and sold my ticket.

glad it was good though, the commodore is the best venue.

After not listening to it for about a week and coming back to it again, I really think that Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is easily their best to date. So much easier to come back to and listen then any of their previous albums. The album is filled with much more "songs" than the others. More importantly, it is clearly meant to be experienced from start to finish. Glass Jaw and D-Money said it perfectly, they were always more of a singles band. They set out to do something different this time around, and it paid off.

So what do you think of new Tricky's album guys?

I gave it a few spins and even though the first single Nothing's Changed is one of the best tracks on the album, the whole melancholic "attitude" of the album reminds me of a more ambient version of Massive Attack's Mezzanine (in a good way).

Archived