The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

After listening to Youth Lagoon's Wondrous Bughouse a few times now, I'm really digging it. At first, I thought it was good but didn't think it compared to The Year of Hibernation. I have definitely changed my mind now though. Wish I could comment more about the individual songs but I've only listened to it without simultaneously looking at the track listing.

Going to have to check out mac demarco now since this is the second time I've heard (seen?) somebody rave about him.

i recommend giving the demarco album a couple listens. maybe it's just me, but i listened to it once and couldn't get behind it at all. deleted it, then for some reason just re-downloaded it the other day, and now i can't stop listening to it

now it's got me on this canadian music kick. can't believe how many solid musicians are coming from canada these days, after what seems like decades of mediocrity

For some reason I didn't enjoy the one Mac DeMarco song , Ode to Viceroy, I heard back in December. As soon as Glassjaw said something about the summer vibes though, something clicked in my head and I loved it when I went back for another listen. I really don't understand how that works, but I won't complain. That guitar work just puts me in a good mood.

new Smith Westerns album announced. FINALLY!

listened to Dye it Blonde again last night and loved it. silly lyrics at time, but each song has like 4 melodies I love, so I can't complain

new song "Varsity" is pretty good too. super excited.

For some reason I didn't enjoy the one Mac DeMarco song , Ode to Viceroy, I heard back in December. As soon as Glassjaw said something about the summer vibes though, something clicked in my head and I loved it when I went back for another listen. I really don't understand how that works, but I won't complain. That guitar work just puts me in a good mood.

that's totally how i felt.

the last 30 seconds or so of Ode to Viceroy are pure joy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost finished streaming the new Strokes album and it's pretty much all crap. Same level as Angles for me, it has 2-4 good songs but the rest wouldn't even get noticed for any reason if it didn't have the Strokes name on it. I've pretty much completely given up on the hope they will release anything even close to as good as Is This It again........ Julian stop singing in falsetto FFS!! This is just a big crapty sack of disappointment, this sucks i'm actually sad. Why do I keep getting my hopes up over and over again for these guys? They're like a really crapty boyfriend with a chick that just won't give up on him :(((

This year is good so far, we're still in March and we have "new classics". I really like new Nick Cave album and The Next Day by David Bowie. I am a big Bowie fan, but I was afraid that by not releasing anything in almost a decade, he'd be mediocre at best. I'm glad that I was wrong. Sure, it's not as good as some of his old stuff like Scary Monsters or Station to Station, but it's still much better than most of today's production.

Another albums I've got the chance to listen to this year:

Low - The Invisible Way

This one is actually quite good, their last album c'mon was a bit of letdown for me, so I am glad that they made up their reputation. :D

Woodkid - The Golden Way

I anticipated that this album could be a good one, with slightly different sound than what is offered even in the alternative radios, but the structure of songs are way too similar, as well as the arrangements (overuse of strings, brass and heavy percussions). It should have been at least a bit more minimalistic like Baltimore Fireflies or Brooklyn, but no, every song tries to sound like his hit Iron...

For progressive rock/metal enthusiasts it's a pretty good year too. New album by Polish band Riverside (I especially recommend their 2007 album Rapid Eye Movement) has the atmosphere a bit like Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, but the music is great and original, although a bit softer than before (that's not a problem).

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing

Now this is tough one. I didn't like his previous solo album. I felt that it was dull for me. But this one is interesting although it's nothing that you'd like on the first spin. It's a difficult music, but also a grower. Especially the title song grew on me:

Apart from that I am looking forward to new album by Tricky and I've got Daughter debut (she had two great EPs in last few years), but I haven't got a chance to listen to it.

This year is good so far, we're still in March and we have "new classics". I really like new Nick Cave album and The Next Day by David Bowie. I am a big Bowie fan, but I was afraid that by not releasing anything in almost a decade, he'd be mediocre at best. I'm glad that I was wrong. Sure, it's not as good as some of his old stuff like Scary Monsters or Station to Station, but it's still much better than most of today's production.

Another albums I've got the chance to listen to this year:

Low - The Invisible Way

This one is actually quite good, their last album c'mon was a bit of letdown for me, so I am glad that they made up their reputation. :D

Woodkid - The Golden Way

I anticipated that this album could be a good one, with slightly different sound than what is offered even in the alternative radios, but the structure of songs are way too similar, as well as the arrangements (overuse of strings, brass and heavy percussions). It should have been at least a bit more minimalistic like Baltimore Fireflies or Brooklyn, but no, every song tries to sound like his hit Iron...

For progressive rock/metal enthusiasts it's a pretty good year too. New album by Polish band Riverside (I especially recommend their 2007 album Rapid Eye Movement) has the atmosphere a bit like Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, but the music is great and original, although a bit softer than before (that's not a problem).

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing

Now this is tough one. I didn't like his previous solo album. I felt that it was dull for me. But this one is interesting although it's nothing that you'd like on the first spin. It's a difficult music, but also a grower. Especially the title song grew on me:

Apart from that I am looking forward to new album by Tricky and I've got Daughter debut (she had two great EPs in last few years), but I haven't got a chance to listen to it.

I really like "The Raven That Refused To Sing", Grain. What a gorgeous song. I wonder, though, if I would have liked it as much without the incredible video. I honestly felt tears coming, a couple of times, during the video. I thought 8 minutes was going to be a long haul, but, the music comes at you in waves and crescendos... the dynamics are brilliant and I love the arrangement.

New Bowie is good. I need to listen to it more. I hope it grows on me.

Archived