The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

alright, stupid was harsh. however, to not like modern music is one thing, but to say that musicians across the world somehow lack creativity and just can't write lyrics anymore.. is weird. in order for someone to actually believe that, they would have to have an extremely (as you say) "narrow" view of the world (and art in general), and be unable to look beyond their own personal interests. how can creativity just cease to exist?

his criticism should be of the state of Much Music, and pop-music radio stations... not of the entire spectrum of music as a whole.

Agreed, man.

And stoked for QOTSA and new Tool (I predict a February '14 release... no reason, either).

We should have a "Tool Pool" for the new album!

really sad that i'm missing Foxygen playing in vancouver tonight.

they're opening for unknown mortal orchestra and the show has been sold-out since november, when nobody had heard of Foxygen. oh well, next time.

the whole album is great imo.

and speaking of which, so many potentially great albums about to come out.

that Merchandise album is finally coming out. their debut EP was decent, but their new single is absolutely phenomenal and will be in my top 5 of the year, no question.

also, within the next month or so:

the knife

kurt vile

deerhunter

iron and wine

yeah yeah yeahs (not a fan, myself)

thee oh sees

phoenix

young galaxy

guided by voices

akron/family

justice

biblio

plus some potentially interesting re-issues from four tet, the microphones, REM, the stooges, morrissey, the postal service, the breeders, half japanese.

should be a really interesting month or two.

that Merchandise album is finally coming out. their debut EP was decent, but their new single is absolutely phenomenal and will be in my top 5 of the year, no question.

Picked up that ep on a whim, after you posted that video a couple months back. Vaguely liked it, forgot about it, then threw it on on a boat last week with a group of friends ... totally changed the vibe, had people coming up asking what it was, absolutely perfect for the waves and the sun. I'm now looking forward to this album.

so the new Kurt Vile, IMO, may be his best album to date, and i LOVE the dude. it definitely doesn't have his best singles on it, but the songs sometimes trail on for 7, 8, 10 minutes and i just love that. really great record.

speaking of long songs... I'm in the middle of Shaking the Habitual from The Knife, and it's probably the weirdest thing I've heard in a very long time. It's both scary and awesome. But tracks like Full of Fire are such a jam. The album doesn't have the immediate "catchy" aspects of Silent Shout, but it's still loaded with weird little hooks.

Archived