The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

This is something a bit different that I just discovered (I think it's been going for a year or two). A computer program that takes police scanners of various US cities in live time, than randomly selects ambient/downtempo tracks from Soundcloud and mashes them up. I was listening to the Los Angeles channel for hours the other day and it's strangely hypnotic.

http://youarelistening.to/

Get Lucky is a phenominal pop single, to be sure. hopefully that album delivers.

that new Mikal Cronin album that p4k praised is right up my alley as well, he has an amazing ear for good melodies and i really like his voice.

also, this:

what ridiculously good drumming. Segall is one of the most hard-working and talented guys in music right now, i think.

and yeah, just listened to the new VW a few times, it's just incredible.

there's some pretty weird stuff going on lyrically though.

Hudson jacks the melody line from Hallelujah.

Ya Hey (which is meant to sound like Yahweh, right?) has lines like "zion doesn't love you, and babylon don't love you, but you love everything" and "through the fire, through the flames, you won't even say your name, only 'i am that i am'" which seems like a conversation with jesus type thing.

Dianne Young is supposed to sound like dying young, i guess.

lots going on.

I haven't read any lyrics yet, but when I listened to the album I noticed almost every song makes at least one reference to praying, God, religion, etc.

I know some of the VW boys are Jewish, I wonder if they found God?

They said the album was partially influenced by Dylan, right? I wonder if it was his odd religious phase in the 80s in particular.

I've listened to the new Phoenix album about 10 times now. The first 5 or 6 times I didn't "get it" at all, nothing was really sticking with me even seconds after I listened to it

Now I like it a loooot more. Very solid release, IMO.

And Deerhunter's coming to Victoria AND Vancouver.

I've listened to the new Phoenix album about 10 times now. The first 5 or 6 times I didn't "get it" at all, nothing was really sticking with me even seconds after I listened to it

Now I like it a loooot more. Very solid release, IMO.

And Deerhunter's coming to Victoria AND Vancouver.

yeah, they're playing Sugar nightclub. seems like too small a venue for them, but nevertheless REALLY exciting.

Smith Westerns just announced a show at the Electric Owl in Vancouver, which is also a tiny, cheap venue, so that's awesome as well. they played way bigger venues on their last North American tour opening for Arctic Moneys, so i guess they're set on headlining even if it means less prestigious stages.

smith westerns are remarkably unpopular

did you see their coachella set? there was like 30 people watching, haha

their last.fm numbers are extremely unimpressive too, considering how well received their music has been

i still love 'em

lol

Why "lol"?

They are very good musicians who have good songs. Is it "lol" because its not rock or a musician that's not mainstream or something?

I like all kinds of music, except for certain artists like the whole YMCMB thing (really bad) or Lady Gaga (Horrible).

Also if you just don't like One Republic then that's cool.

Archived