Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coleman26

Music of 2013

622 posts in this topic

I listened to both yesterday, trying to decide which I like more (nothing better to do), and I think it's a really tough call. The National is great, but for me, every song sounds extremely similar to the next song, and most of those songs sound extremely similar to many other songs the band has done

While Nick Cave is very much still Nick Cave, the album has more variety, and its high points are better than The National's high points for me.

Buuut I still need to be in the "right mood" for Cave, while The National is pretty easy to digest in any situation and could be elevator music as much as it could be stuff to really focus on

Both are really good though!

Arcade Fire may beat 'em both.

Right now it's:

1. National

2. VW

3. Nick Cave

4. Flaming Lips...

The first half of 2013 has been absolutely fantastic. Other than Tame Impala, I like these four more than any album from last year. And I haven't even heard These New Puritans, Smith Westerns, QOTSA, Laura Marling...

I overplayed VW soooo much in its first few weeks, definitely need a break from it, but yeah, it may even be better than Nick Cave and the National for me.

I also very highly rate the latest Iceage, Deerhunter, Kurt Vile, Baths, My Bloody Valentine, The Knife, and--yes--even the new Phoenix has grown on me biiig time.

But I totally agree, D-Money, Tame Impala still has them all beat by the pretty big margin

Everyone seems to be praising the new QOTSA pretty intensely, but I couldn't even make it through the first listen, haha

I really need to give it another try

Apparently that Black Sabbath album is pretty good too (for a bunch of old guys trying to recapture their former glory), but I couldn't even make it through the first song. Again, need to try it with more patience

Rifflandia looks really, really weak this year

I overplayed VW soooo much in its first few weeks, definitely need a break from it, but yeah, it may even be better than Nick Cave and the National for me.

I also very highly rate the latest Iceage, Deerhunter, Kurt Vile, Baths, My Bloody Valentine, The Knife, and--yes--even the new Phoenix has grown on me biiig time.

But I totally agree, D-Money, Tame Impala still has them all beat by the pretty big margin

Tame Impala was something special. Probably my favourite album of the last 5 years. It was completely new to me too, because I hadn't heard Innerspeaker before either. I'm glad it came last year, because the rest of 2012 was terrible.

I really admire the new Deerhunter because of how bold and brash it is, but I haven't been able to make it through more than a few songs at a time before losing interest. Maybe it will grow on me.

Has anybody heard the new These New Puritans yet?

Rifflandia has big names, like last year, but they just happen to be a lot of names that i don't like.

hate Edward Sharpe, never really got into DFA, am not interested in Big Boi's post-Outkast work, don't like Matt & Kim, Stars, Wintersleep, etc. etc.

wheras last year i felt like it catered to what i like, with the flaming lips and the antlers and stuff.

further down in the line-up, a lot of bands i'm friends with made it, which is rad, but i could see them for like $5 at bars in vancouver so naaah

edward sharpe has a few good songs IMO, but i couldnt care less less about matt and kim or DFA

what do you guys think about the new Pixies song?

i didnt like it for like 60 seconds, then it really kicks in and i sort of love it

maybe not LOVE it, but for a band that hasnt really done much in a decade, its good

It's been a while since I posted in here. Hope you guys enjoyed the SoC album. It seems like they're really picking up momentum, as they've planned their North American tour and it has the support of several prominent progressive rock musicians. It appears Steven Wilson also provided a bit of help with the album. They're calling their upcoming tour the "Bring Back the Prog Tour," which will consist of them playing their entire album live along with music from a supporting prog artist (or two), then a medley of prog classics at the end. Apparently several major prog artists will make guest appearances as well.

They'll also be performing at the 2013 Yestival, an annual festival where the band Yes headlines.

http://www.soundofco...-american-tour/

Just before the tour Sound of Contact is opening the Yestival mainstage in early August with bands like Carl Palmer’s ELP legacy, Musical Box and Yes. Then just after the tour Simon Collins, Dave Kerzner and Francis Dunnery will perform as guests with Steve Hackett on his Genesis Revisited 2 show on September 20th and 21st at the Arcada theater in Chicago.

http://www.progressi...ll=1#post119928

We are doing some gigs like that such as the West Coast dates. But, for the rest of the tour it's a combination of progressive rock bands that have their own following plus fit with the bill either stylistically or someone played with someone before or there's some connection... like Edison's Children for example has Eric and Pete. We met them when we did our "First Contact" gig opening for Marillion. Francis Dunnery I work with a lot and he's a staple on this tour... plus I convinced him to bring his own prog back because he's one of the best guitar players in the world. His AmpliTube iRig actually got him excited about playing Holdsworthy-crazy electric guitar again (as quoted by him which is amazing). I brought Dunnery in on the Hackett album Genesis Revisited 2 (and Hackett even gave me an "additional production" credit for that and recording Simon Collins). It isn't announced officially on the site yet but Dunnery, Collins and I will be guesting with Steve Hackett at the END of this tour. Well, it is sort of announced in the news but the dates aren't listed yet (they will be soon as well as gig in Chicago just before it).

Anyway, to finance the tour we have support from our awesome label InsideOut (which we share with some of the other bands on the tour like SB and Jolly). We're sponsored by IK Multimedia and will have some INCREDIBLE rare and unique swag and stuff to give away at the shows (I haven't even talked about that yet but man... it's good!). Plus we may pick up a few more sponsors AND we're doing a Kickstarter campaign where people can buy some really cool packages to donate to the cause and help pay for the painfully expensive things like the bus and travel. The more that's raised the more will go into the show as well and we'll build it up according to how much people are behind such a thing as "bringing the prog back"! Phil's behind it and he'll be going to one of the shows. So are a lot of other iconic progressive rock musicians and we'll have some of them pop up out of nowhere as guests on some shows.

Imagine we're in California and someone like Keith Emerson comes out for the mega jam at the end???? Or we're in Toronto and Rik Emmett comes out and we do some Triumph and our version of Red Barchetta that I did with him. That's the sort of potential icing on the icing of the cake that can happen. Imagine Robert Plant (who Dunnery used to play with) coming out and we do a bunch of Zeppelin with Simon Collins on drums and Dunnery on guitar with El Squidsarino and the Mighty Wurlitzer JPJing it No Quarter-style!!!!!! I'm totally serious. This kind of stuff can and WILL eventually happen. How exciting!

http://www.progressi...ll=1#post120622

Thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying it. We do all love Porcupine Tree in the band. They're an influence and actually Steven Wilson gave us a few tips while we were making the album as well. For a little while we had their touring guitarist Wes on board too and I've worked with him and various musicians from PT on different projects. SOC I guess you could say is modern progressive rock like PT. Although the lyrical subject matter is quite different and musically there's a different balance of light and dark going on.

We were just playing the song "Only Breathing Out" in rehearsals for the first time the past couple of days and boy is that sounding good! Really looking forward to playing that live. There's also a whole new unexpected proggy section we've added to a song. Randy McStine does a wicked solo in it that tips the hat to Gilmour, Hackett and Holdsworth all in one! Yet it has his own stamp on it as well. I think those that like the album will like the live embellishments. You basically get MORE but not in a self indulgent way. In a way that makes musical sense.

1000160_521454124589129_1590871542_n.jpg

Yes also gave them a shoutout on Facebook. In terms of their status within the prog community, they've received a lot of support from all of the major bands. It's most likely due to Kerzner's connections from working with so many bands over the years with his sound design company. Nevertheless, the band is growing and should be receiving a lot of media attention within the next year or so.

So I listened to the new These New Puritans...

...ummmmmm...

...pretty wacky. There are brief moments of brilliance, but too much Time Xoning going on.

i listened to half of it then just deleted it, can't imagine ever bothering with it again

not my thing

I loved Hidden, and even enjoyed parts of their debut. But the new one is just silly.

I didn't mind the first couple songs on the new Queens of The Stone Age album, but lost interest pretty quick. Not my thing anymore. Probably would have loved it 15 years ago though.

Man, i LOOOVE the new Smith Westerns. At first I wasn't crazy on it, but like 8 listens later I totally hear new stuff in it that I missed the first few listens. Such a great band

New Laura Marling is excellent:

Not a fan of the new Frightened Rabbit at all (and I loved their last two), however, this track is killer:

new arcade fire confirmed for oct 26

Bumping this thread to prevent it from slipping into the depths of the forum.

I may as well update everyone on the band I've been talking about the for last while, Sound of Contact. They'll be performing at the 2013 "Yestival" along with Yes, will headline the "ProgDay" festival in September, will be a part of the "Moodies Cruise" with The Moody Blues, are scheduled for the "Rite of Spring" festival in 2014, and will be beginning their North American "Bring The Prog Back"/Dimensionaut Tour soon. They're apparently planning a "World Tour," which may include trips to South America, Japan, Europe, and perhaps Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver.

They'll also be taking part in the 2014 "Cruise to the Edge" cruise event, which will include Yes, Steve Hackett, Saga, Tangerine Dream, and other bands. Recently, they performed at "Night of the Prog" in Germany, which was headlined by Steven Wilson. Prog Magazine, meanwhile, has been promoting them and has even nominated them for the 2013 Limelight Award for best new prog band.

These guys are making progress very quickly. I think they have a very bright future and I'm quite excited to see what happens. Apparently some well-established musicians will make appearances at the North American Tour concerts, so I think the band's notoriety will increase quite rapidly over the next year. As mentioned in my previous post, Kerzner has already talked about the potential of such artists as Keith Emerson, Robert Plant, and Rik Emmett making appearances. Though the band will be playing their album in its entirety at the events, they'll also be performing some prog rock classics as part of their "Bring The Prog Back" campaign, likely with said guests. I think Dave's experience in the industry is really paying dividends right now. His work in the studio and experience as a sound designer really brought the album to life, in my opinion, and I think the progressive rock world has taken notice of the band's music. The combination of Simon and Dave seems to be made for success. In addition to all of the touring they'll be doing, apparently they have music videos planned for every song on the album, and have already recorded additional material for a potential follow-up album.

New Sigur Rós album Kveikur is great. Much better than their last one - Valtari, which was a disappointment.

not 2013, but i decided to re-listen to that DIIV album a few times and i think it's really, really great. at first i was really annoyed by it (sounds derivative on the surface), but now I "get it" -- sounds like Wild Nothing meets Grateful Dead, sort of