The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Did he die, Eyedea? I had one of their albums maybe 10 years ago or so, dude was incredibly fast although I found his lyrics somewhat silly.

I might have mentioned this already a few pages back but I forget and it's worth mentioning again re:hip hop, Killer Mike and EL-P released a free album a little while back. Can't get enough of these two, I hope they continue to collaborate:

http://foolsgoldrecs.com/runthejewels/

Yeah, Eyedea died a couple years back unfourtunetly. That killer mike and elp album was very good.

love how so many people on here , looooooove their indie music ... its so great nobody buys it .. and when the indie band breaks , their not COOL anymore.. i find it so pretentious ..

remember ... indie is just another word for failure ..

How cute! Lulover88 has no idea what "indie" means!

Not really "new" music, but I've been hooked on Later with Jools Holland lately. Recently discovered old episodes running on the new HIFI channel (new to my cable, anyway), and can't get enough of it.

Last episode I watched had Paul McCartney, Bjork, The Editors, The Nightwatchman (Tom Morello from Rage...), a couple artists I wasn't familiar with, and what turned out to be the TV debut for Adele. Not necessarily my favourite lineup, but Bjork completely shocked me with Declare Independance. I wasn't familiar with that song, but I've had it in my head ever since.

There's something pretty cool about cramming a venue with 6-8 bands/artists from different genres, set them up in a circle, and having them take turns. I have found some pretty cool artists. For instance, Seasick Steve is awesome!

I have also been surprised at how good some artists are live (Bat For Lashes blew me away).

• 3 weeks later...

Don't like the new King Krule at all

Not crazy about the new No Age

Volcano Choir has a few good songs, but the album doesn't blow me away

Man, this year started off very strong, but has really, really, really slowed down. Haven't heard much in a long time that interests me, album-wise

...Ugh, can't sleep...

The first 1/2 of the year was so fantastic, that you just know it had to slow down. Nick Cave, The National, Vampire Weekend, Flaming Lips, and Deerhunter are some of my favourite artists, and they all released absolutely stellar albums. Even if I don't hear another great album this year, 2013 is still a winner.

As for new stuff, heard glowing reviews of the new Pet Shop Boys, of all people. Also the new Dodos album, who have released some stuff I have really enjoyed in the past...like this:

Archived