The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

The new music Deb is excited about: Love QOTSA, Headstones, waiting for PJ and Matt Good. Although, not loving Matt's new stuff so much...liked his darker music that came out of a place of despair and, sadly enough, illness the best. Now that he's a happily married family man his music is sort of missing the mark for me. We'll see...

Oh and happy that Moist has reunited and is touring. Yea.

i really like Chvrches, their album leaked a little while ago and it is just perfect, non-cheesy synth pop.

It's an awesome album, but I had already heard most of the songs in one way or another. It took them forever to make that.

MGMT is alright, but definitely their weakest album.

Anyone listen to new Said the Whale, Grouplove or Someone Still Love You Boris Yeltsin?

The new music Deb is excited about: Love QOTSA, Headstones, waiting for PJ and Matt Good. Although, not loving Matt's new stuff so much...liked his darker music that came out of a place of despair and, sadly enough, illness the best. Now that he's a happily married family man his music is sort of missing the mark for me. We'll see...

Oh and happy that Moist has reunited and is touring. Yea.

I'm with ya on Matt Good. Everything he released up to Vancouver was amazing, but from Vancouver onward he's lost me a little bit. There's a couple of great songs on every album but they are also a few that I always skip. Also his new single is really bad....

Anyone listen to the new Naked and Famous yet? It doesn't have the great singles their last album had, but I think it's a better album overall. I'm extremely excited about seeing them live in October.

arcade fire played 5 new songs tonight. gonna be an amazing album, that's for sure

the 'concert' special was good and stupid at the same time. the audience was obviously paid to be there, but with michael cera, zack galifinakis, etc. all being there between songs, it made up for it

The new Arcade Fire songs sounded good last night (though I didn't really rate that SNL performance). Less than a month until the album is out, which can't come soon enough.

I hope they come to Vancouver (or anywhere else in BC for that matter). Gotta go see them again for sure!

new Arcade Fire single was released just now.

http://pitchfork.com...fire-reflektor/

and yeah it's fantastic

this band can do no wrong for me. in fact, as great as Funeral is, The Suburbs is by far my favourite thing they have done. This is like their Suburbs work meets LCD. Love it.

Love it.

Although I really like Arcade Fire, I seem to have loved them a little less than most. Save for Keep The Car Running and *whateverneighbourhoodis* Power Out - two of my all-time favourites from any band. They also happen to be probably their two most rhythmic-centered songs.

Then you go and name-drop one of my favourite bands of the last decade, LCD Soundsystem. If Arcade Fire sounds more like them, that may put them on top in my books too.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's kinda music related, does anyone know where I'll be able to pick up a copy of Morrissey's Autobiography? It's finally coming out this week on Penguin Classics (wtf), I could order it on Amazon but I want to go and buy it, Canadian post sucks.

I guess it's kinda music related, does anyone know where I'll be able to pick up a copy of Morrissey's Autobiography? It's finally coming out this week on Penguin Classics (wtf), I could order it on Amazon but I want to go and buy it, Canadian post sucks.

ahaha

and no, i have no idea

but i'm definitely going to be looking for it as well

i hope it's better than every other band autobiography out there. they always seem so dishonest, or so... silly.

I'm with ya on Matt Good. Everything he released up to Vancouver was amazing, but from Vancouver onward he's lost me a little bit. There's a couple of great songs on every album but they are also a few that I always skip. Also his new single is really bad....

I think Lights of Endangered Species is his best solo album to date. Very melodic, consistent, and in imo it maintains the dark melancholic vibe of his past few. However, the new one 'Arrows of desire' is completely missing the mark for me, it tries to be rocking but its lacking melody and the songs are pretty weak.

any recs? havent heard much in a few months

i went crazy over Chvrches. the most satisfying electro pop, sounds kinda like the knife but way more direct and less cold.

psychic by darkside is this incredibly diverse electronic music with really organic elements.

if you haven't checked out floating coffin by thee oh sees, it's so good, especially the last two songs. i saw them live yesterday, and it was one of the best shows i've seen, so much energy and originality.

i know you have difficulties with hyped-up hip-hop, but pusha-t and danny brown's new albums both have super interesting production with really clever lyrical stuff going on.

a japanese band called Meeks did a shoegaze Let It Be cover album that is so beautiful.

and the new Cults album is surprisingly good. i thought their debut was good, but kinda typical reverby "buzz band" bull, but this one is way more ambitious and interesting.

and then i loved a bunch of stuff that you've already heard, like kurt vile, foxygen, atoms for peace, vampire weekend, youth lagoon, smith westerns, mikal cronin, mbv, flaming lips, mgmt, yeezus, james blake, deerhunter.

Archived