The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

That is a good review. Does a better job of saying some of the feelings I had on the first couple listens.

I finally got around to listening to the new mix of In Utero that came out last month. Pretty good. Always been my favourite of their albums. The new version is more noticeable in some places than in others. Pretty Ape has cleaner vocals and the guitar sounds more powerful, and Milk It (favourite track) breathes a bit deeper. On the other hand, All Apologies comes out sounding cheesier, which I guess explains why that and Heart Shaped Box were remixed by Litt on the original release.

Generally speaking, i'm not a fan of that particular writer (on P4K), but yeah, i think it's a fantastic review. The closing paragraph is particularly great.

I'm glad there are a few Bowie references on there, too. i think the album is just dripping with Bowie influence. Makes total sense, too, because LCD/James Murphy is a total Bowie freak.

Ever heard that LCD Soundsystem track "All I Want"? Sounds like a slight variation of "Heroes." I love the latter so much, so I can't help but also love the former.

Can't bring myself to listen to Nirvana again--not that time of the decade. But I'm with you in that I always preferred In Utero back in the day.

I liked Funeral. Otherwise, huge meh for Arcade Fire. I ought to give them another shot and listen to the new record, but they never really did it for me.

anything about them you don't like in specific?

I think The Suburbs would easily slot into my top 3 or 5 albums of the last decade

i feel kinda not in the mood for some of arcade fire's themes on this one. at the same time, i'm pretty crazy about the album, especially "here comes the night time," which i think is one of their best songs ever...top 3 or something.

also just downloaded the sky ferreira album a couple hours ago...some duds and some pretty good stuff. "i blame myself" feels like an instant classic.

also finally found a link to that fuzz album, downloading currently, pretty excited, although i know it'll be black sabbathy and i don't really like that whole thing, i like ty's more '60s surfy stuff.

i feel kinda not in the mood for some of arcade fire's themes on this one. at the same time, i'm pretty crazy about the album, especially "here comes the night time," which i think is one of their best songs ever...top 3 or something.

also just downloaded the sky ferreira album a couple hours ago...some duds and some pretty good stuff. "i blame myself" feels like an instant classic.

also finally found a link to that fuzz album, downloading currently, pretty excited, although i know it'll be black sabbathy and i don't really like that whole thing, i like ty's more '60s surfy stuff.

i LOVE that DIIV album, but that dude and Sky Ferreira just seem like total caricatures of 'indie culture' from 4 or 5 years ago.

they entered the scene far too late, and their music is already derivative, and they must know it.

how many other albums sound JUST LIKE that DIIV record in 2012? probably like 10-15, easily. it's like these two KNOW they entered the indie bubble too late, so they make up for it by being exaggerated versions of the musicians that already achieved fame.

both of them seem like early-career Christopher Owens, just without the unique vision and music, and instead an emphasis on the dated fashion. instead of having a troubled past, they use a troubled current to make headlines. whooooo cares? the drug thing, the clothes, the attitude... it's just pastiche at this point. again, who cares?

i know what you mean.

for both of them, i don't really read a thing about em or care about their personal lives.

their image doesn't actually impact how i listen to their music.

i listened to that diiv album quite a lot for like one week, but yeah, it's the exact same as beach fossils/wavves/whatever

i'm the same way with sky ferreira as i am with lana del rey. obviously such a manufactured image (her's is the whole '50s thing instead of the whole heroin thing) but usually it all leads to like 2 great songs on an album, and the rest being kinda crap. but, like lana del rey (born to die, ride) the couple songs are super memorable to me .

gave Thee Oh Sees a listen. I think I'd heard it before, or at least I definitely recognize that awesome album art

Really enjoyed it at times. Very Ty Segall-y.

Prefer the songs that were more psych rock-ish over the more rock-rockish ones

gave Thee Oh Sees a listen. I think I'd heard it before, or at least I definitely recognize that awesome album art

Really enjoyed it at times. Very Ty Segall-y.

Prefer the songs that were more psych rock-ish over the more rock-rockish ones

what did you think of "Minotaur" in particular? did it stand out? what a great chord progression. what lyrics

what did you think of "Minotaur" in particular? did it stand out? what a great chord progression. what lyrics

honestly didn't notice it my first go around. but i've listened to it like 5 times in a row now and really love it. good call

EDIT: I really like the song "no spell" too. Almost sounds Women-like. Wish more bands had this sound.

EDIT 2: wow, they have like 5 or 6 albums out. I guess I don't need to want more bands with this sound, when they have such a huge discography already

sometimes i listen to an old song and i think it is literally a pinnacle of music

here is an example of that.

i mean, honestly, is there a better pop song than this? amazing lyrics, timeless melody, and seeing that coked out Elvis flail around on stage is both beautiful and depressing at the same time

Archived