The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Gotta admit, although I will easily be able to name off 5 great albums from this year from bands I've known and loved...I'm not sure if I listened to many more new albums this year. So I may just have a top-5 list. I will take a look though, and may use the suggestions from other lists to find the mountain of stuff I missed.

Man, where has the year gone? Becoming a dad and starting a business really eats into your time.

A few notes:

- mbv didn't do it for me, but I only gave it a couple tries.

- Also gave that Savages album only a couple tries, but really, really liked it.

- DL'd the new Bowie months ago...still haven't heard a lick of it.

- Still haven't DL'd the new Kurt Vile either.

- Can't figure out how the new These New Puritans is getting love from the critics...boring as hell.

BTW, Glassjaw - new Arcade Fire grew on me a lot. Think it may end up my favourite album of theirs (I'm one of those guys who likes Funeral, but don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread).

But again, haven't listened to it enough to be sure...

biggest disappointments for me:

David Bowie - Even though I totally enjoy a couple of the songs, and think one of them is amazing, I just had really high hopes for it.

Camera Obscura - before now, IMO, never released a bad album. one of my favourite lyricists out there. A female Morrissey, almost.. yet this didn't move me at all.

King Krule - Hyped this dude for years based on that one great EP of his. debut was pretty forgettable, though

The Fall - the most under-appreciated band in history, maybe. But their last two albums have a couple of great tracks between them, and a whole lot of trash.

these new puritans - loved their last album, could barely finish the new one

The Knife - Loved, loved, loved it when it came out. Has since dropped from my radar, big time. love a couple of songs, can't be bothered with a few more. Seeing video from their dreadful concert-concept, too, didn't help.

Sebadoh - After the amazing, totally underrated Dinosaur Jr album last year, which featured a few amazing Lou Barlow songs, I was super psyched for the new Sebadoh album. A few decent songs, but ultimately totally forgettable.

I've already finished it. Couldn't be bothered to wait.

Edit - I just read that the US version has been edited and had things removed from the book. So I'd order the British / European version if anyone was to read it. Not that the info isn't out there anyway.

I found the book interesting but is rather tedious in parts.

I've been loving this Nationhood mixtape that came out a couple days ago.

http://rpm.fm/music/...onhood-mixtape/

Combining the voices of many struggles, peoples and nations, the#NationHood Mixtape brings together an amazing array of hip-hop, spoken word, beats, ideas and sounds from artists across the world.

This is music for the movement: songs to inspire the liberation of oppressed peoples globally, and to bring Indigenous and non-Indigenous artists together in rhythmic force. For this mix, I wanted to showcase a diversity of styles that illustrate our commonalities in struggle, our shared experiences, and the many ways in which our words—in whatever language we sing and speak them—locate us in common purpose, resistance, and action to transform the world.

From LA to Chicago, Detroit to New Brunswick, Germany to Palestine, Phoenix to Greece, Nəxʷsƛ̕áy̕əm̕ , Tsalagi and Six Nations, to Anishinaabe and Mi’kmaq, and everywhere in between, the #NationHood Mixtape spans hoods and communities across Turtle Island and the globe.

it's almost annoying how amazing "sea of love" is by the national

It's funny, because that was one of my last favorite tracks the first 20-or-so times I listened to the album. But it's a huge grower.

There is no question what my album of the year is.

Hilarious interview with Noel Gallagher on the new Arcade Fire album:

Did you hear Arcade Fire’s new album?

I haven’t heard it. Anybody that comes back with a double album, to me, needs to pry themselves out of their own a-hole. This is not the Seventies, okay? Go and ask Billy Corgan about a double album. Who has the f-ing time, in 2013, to sit through 45 minutes of a single album? How arrogant are these people to think that you’ve got an hour and a half to listen to a f-ing record?

Did you see that they’ve asked people to wear formal wear or costumes at their shows?

[sighs] Well, what’s the point of that? Do you know what the point of that is? That is to take away from the s-- disco that’s coming out of the speakers. Because everybody’s dressed as one of the Three Musketeers on acid. “What was the gig like?” “I don’t know, everyone was dressed as a teddy bear in the Seventies.” “Yeah, but what was the gig like?” “Ah, f-- knows, man, I have no idea. I was dressed as a flying saucer.” “Yeah, but what was the gig like?” “F-- knows. I don’t know. Seen Cheech and Chong, there, though.” Not for me.’

You know Bowie sings backup on one of Arcade Fire’s new songs, right?

Oh, that’s a shame.

TOP 10 ALBUMS:

1. Trouble Will Find Me - The National

2. Modern Vampires of The City - Vampire Weekend

3. Reflektor - Arcade Fire

4. Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

5. The Terror - The Flaming Lips

6. Repave - Volcano Choir

7. Silence Yourself - Savages

8. Amok - Atoms For Peace

9. Monomania - Deerhunter

10. Once I Was an Eagle - Laura Marling

TOP 15 SONGS:

1. Step - Vampire Weekend

2. I Should Live in Salt - The National

3. Byegone - Volcano Choir

4. Diane Young - Vampire Weekend

5. It's Never Over - Arcade Fire

6. Wide Lovely Eyes - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

7. Graceless - The National

8. Waiting For a Sign - Savages

9. Hard To Find - The National

10. Judge, Jury & Executioner - Atoms For Peace

11. Acetate - Volcano Choir

12. Reflektor - Arcade Fire

13. Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

14. Lose Yourself To Dance - Daft Punk

15. Obvious Bicycle - Vampire Weekend

SURPRISES:

The Flaming Lips - Usually not a fan of their "weird" albums. They had almost lost me with the last two. But Terror is their best since Yoshimi.

Volcano Choir - First one was meandering junk. Didn't expect an album of actual songs from them, let alone one this good.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

These New Puritans - Hidden was so good. The only parts that weren't great were the boring instrumentals that bookended it. So what do they do this time? Make that crap the whole album!

Frightened Rabbit - Their last two albums were outstanding - I still listen to them regularly. The new one was...well, pedestrian.

The Strokes - These guys just keep falling farther and farther and...

Archived