The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

love this song

i never really bothered to give Foals much of a chance, i thought they were to England what Foster the People is to America. and maybe they are, but i'm really digging their new album. super rewarding after a few listens.

Been listening to that tune for a while now. Good stuff.

Johnny Marr still killing it at 49. Love this guy

I guess technically it's 2012, but I just realized today that I missed the debut solo album from The Gaslamp Killer in the fall. He was the producer behind that Gonjasufi album that made a lot of top-10 lists in 2010. Impossible to describe this guy's style but it's a psychedelic soup of surf rock, reggae, hip hop,middle eastern jazz, and random samples of Hendrix, Pink Floyd, etc. Really really tasty. Check out this little 3 minute profile video and see if you're not curious to hear more of his stuff:

yeah I wasn't overly impressed by it, but then it\s been awhile since Radiohead really did it for me - probably since Kid A/Amnesiac, although Hail To The Thief was hit and miss. I don't find their newer stuff to be bad per say, just, yeah, aimlessly repetitive. I guess its becoming clearer and clearer that Greenwood is the one to follow moving forward, not Yorke.

Shame though, as they were the first concert I ever went to (14yrs old, Bends tour, 1995) and still one of the best.

i prefer the Kid A to present era of Radiohead to the Bends / OK Computer stuff. I enjoyed the experimentation and non-90s sound

just wish Thom wasn't so into this whole glitch pop/hop thing. He's like the Tim Burton of music for me now, I don't even need to check out the latest output, I can just imagine it, and it's pretty damn accurate to the final product

hmm, I think maybe it works as like a perfect apex graph for me, with Kid A and Amnesiac being the high points, and the albums on either side decreasing equally - HTTT + OK at second, Rainbows+Bends third, etc. I'd really be surprised if they ever got back to that point again, King of Limbs just did nothing for me, on 4 or 5 separate attempts it leaked right through my ears and left no impression.

I really like that Tim Burton comparison though, says how I feel about Thom's recent work much better than I ever could have dreamt up.

Meanwhile, it might be different, but Jonny is doing some really crazy work with his film scores. I can still remember watching this in the theatre and feeling like someone had finally seen the light about the epicness of 80s slasher horror soundtracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjWIr80ln4

yeah man, I thought Greenwood's score was great. That song (er, piece?) is a treat

did you see Paul Thomas Anderson's most recent movie, The Master? Greenwood scored that one for him as well. Again, thought it really added to the movie. I've never tried to listen to the scores as isolated pieces of music. Maybe I should give that a try.

TKOL grew on me soooo much. i really love those cut up loop sounding drums. Separator seems like a perfect song to me, and Codex is incredible too. the vocal reverb is perfection all the way through, like on In Rainbows.

haven't listened to the Atoms for Peace too much yet, but i like what i've heard more than The Eraser.

Kid A>In Rainbows>Ok Computer>Amnesiac>HTTT>TKOL>The Bends>Pablo Honey is how i rank their albums, basically.

also, have you guys been watching pitchfork's series on big 90s albums?

they've done The Soft Bulletin, Lonesome Crowded West and If You're Feeling Sinister so far. the Modest Mouse and Flaming Lips ones were absolutely incredible, two of the best music documentaries i've ever seen.

Archived