621 replies to this topic

#301 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I watched that Tame Impala set as well, I thought they sounded great. Managed to snag some tickets for the show, too. I did notice there was a lot of interaction between band members and the sound crew on the side, some issues there maybe?

Nick Cave was the highlight for me, but I was totally impressed by Vampire Weekend--super psyched for that album now

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#302 GrainWetzky

GrainWetzky

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

I am really looking forward to new album by Tricky.

I can't wait till the end of May. :X

#303 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Justin bieber

#304 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

my band got asked to play Sled Island in Calgary.

going to be pretty exciting having a performer pass to some huge bands.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#305 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Just thought I'd mention how impressed I was with Kacey Musgraves' debut album 'Same Trailer Different Park' as well as The Band Perry's 'Pioneer' and Eric Church's live album 'Caught In The Act: Live'.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#306 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

my band got asked to play Sled Island in Calgary.

going to be pretty exciting having a performer pass to some huge bands.

nice dude, congrats

212e8lw.jpg

#307 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

This is something a bit different that I just discovered (I think it's been going for a year or two). A computer program that takes police scanners of various US cities in live time, than randomly selects ambient/downtempo tracks from Soundcloud and mashes them up. I was listening to the Los Angeles channel for hours the other day and it's strangely hypnotic.

http://youarelistening.to/

#308 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

cannot believe how good the two Vampire Weekend songs are (diane young / step).

2013 is already one of the best years in music in recent memory

just some phenomenal stuff being released, imo

212e8lw.jpg

#309 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

^ Ya Hey is really awesome too
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#310 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

new vampire weekend leaked, confirmed as album of the year

212e8lw.jpg

#311 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Been a long time since I bought a new album. Have the first 2 Vampire Weekend albums, won't buy the next one.

However, I am planning on getting the new Daft Punk.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#312 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Get Lucky is a phenominal pop single, to be sure. hopefully that album delivers.

that new Mikal Cronin album that p4k praised is right up my alley as well, he has an amazing ear for good melodies and i really like his voice.

also, this:

what ridiculously good drumming. Segall is one of the most hard-working and talented guys in music right now, i think.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#313 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

and yeah, just listened to the new VW a few times, it's just incredible.

there's some pretty weird stuff going on lyrically though.

Hudson jacks the melody line from Hallelujah.

Ya Hey (which is meant to sound like Yahweh, right?) has lines like "zion doesn't love you, and babylon don't love you, but you love everything" and "through the fire, through the flames, you won't even say your name, only 'i am that i am'" which seems like a conversation with jesus type thing.

Dianne Young is supposed to sound like dying young, i guess.

lots going on.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#314 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I haven't read any lyrics yet, but when I listened to the album I noticed almost every song makes at least one reference to praying, God, religion, etc.

I know some of the VW boys are Jewish, I wonder if they found God?

They said the album was partially influenced by Dylan, right? I wonder if it was his odd religious phase in the 80s in particular.

212e8lw.jpg

#315 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

I've listened to the new Phoenix album about 10 times now. The first 5 or 6 times I didn't "get it" at all, nothing was really sticking with me even seconds after I listened to it

Now I like it a loooot more. Very solid release, IMO.

And Deerhunter's coming to Victoria AND Vancouver.

212e8lw.jpg

#316 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

I've listened to the new Phoenix album about 10 times now. The first 5 or 6 times I didn't "get it" at all, nothing was really sticking with me even seconds after I listened to it

Now I like it a loooot more. Very solid release, IMO.

And Deerhunter's coming to Victoria AND Vancouver.

yeah, they're playing Sugar nightclub. seems like too small a venue for them, but nevertheless REALLY exciting.

Smith Westerns just announced a show at the Electric Owl in Vancouver, which is also a tiny, cheap venue, so that's awesome as well. they played way bigger venues on their last North American tour opening for Arctic Moneys, so i guess they're set on headlining even if it means less prestigious stages.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#317 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

smith westerns are remarkably unpopular

did you see their coachella set? there was like 30 people watching, haha

their last.fm numbers are extremely unimpressive too, considering how well received their music has been

i still love 'em

212e8lw.jpg

#318 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Excavation, by the Haxan Cloak. Extremely atmospheric. And by atmospheric I mean creepy as hell. Its like a horror movie soundtrack.

Edited by CAPSLOCK, 09 May 2013 - 10:16 PM.

BO KNOWS

#319 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

One Republic's new album is awesome, called Native.

Some really good tracks on there, I enjoyed this album a lot. These guys never seem to disappoint.

#320 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

One Republic's new album is awesome, called Native.

Some really good tracks on there, I enjoyed this album a lot. These guys never seem to disappoint.

lol

Posted Image

#321 CanuckofSteel

CanuckofSteel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

lol

Why "lol"?

They are very good musicians who have good songs. Is it "lol" because its not rock or a musician that's not mainstream or something?

I like all kinds of music, except for certain artists like the whole YMCMB thing (really bad) or Lady Gaga (Horrible).

Also if you just don't like One Republic then that's cool.

Edited by Sydney Fife, 11 May 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#322 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

goodness me

212e8lw.jpg

#323 Rozzy

Rozzy

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Queens of the Stone Age's "...Like Clockwork" has leaked. Great album.

Posted Image

Q-----U-----E-----E-----N-----S-----O-----F-----T-----H-----E-----S-----T-----O-----N-----E-----A-----G-----E

#324 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Why "lol"?

They are very good musicians who have good songs. Is it "lol" because its not rock or a musician that's not mainstream or something?

I like all kinds of music, except for certain artists like the whole YMCMB thing (really bad) or Lady Gaga (Horrible).

Also if you just don't like One Republic then that's cool.

Yes, it is cool to not like One Republic.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#325 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

goodness me

its pretty good, although it doesn't touch their debut in my opinion

Posted Image

#326 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Sound of Contact has just released its first ever single, "Not Coming Down," from their debut album. So far, they've had people from across the progressive rock community visit them on tour. They have received some tremendous reviews. Many feel the band has huge potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d8TGFsLXoRo

Here's one brief analysis of their debut album, "Dimensionaut":

http://www.progressi...ull=1#post98371

Without writing a specific review, I would say that this album combines classic prog with some of the more modern wave of proggers, all built around a SciFi concept. There are elements of classic Rush, Genesis, Yes & Floyd, along with Porcupine Tree & Anathema. The sonic textures & production give a very lush, occasionally dense (in a good way), contemporary sound, but you'll recognise classic analog sounds in there too, especially on keyboards. Vocally, Simon sounds very similar to his father for the most part, but in places more like Gabriel, and some of his lines are delivered a Steven Wilson style.

There's a lot of music, and like most good prog, it takes 3 or 4 listenings to get into. Once you do, there are some tremendous hooks in there that won't let you go. Great songwriting, playing, singing and production. I'm getting shivers down the spine just thinking of it.

Posted Image

http://www.dawnofthe...t-album-review/

About three minutes into the song I Am Dimensionaut there is some drumkit cleverness. I mention this because if you listen to Duke’s Travels by Genesis you might notice some very similar cleverness. This is no coincidence – Sound Of Contact is the new band featuring Simon Collins, son of Phil. I won’t labour this point because I want to discuss this band and this album, not the music of the drummer’s dad, but there is no denying the Genesis influence here – it comes at you in spades. On top of this Simon drums and sings spookily like his father. I’m not complaining – Phil is one of my great heroes as a musician; without him and his work with Genesis and Brand X I’d probably never have started drumming myself. So, as far as I’m concerned, this is all just spiffing. I will now discuss this no further.

With that out of the way then, what do we actually have here? Well, we have a 71 minute long science fiction progressive concept album about a dimension-jumping space pioneer. Somewhat brave for a fledgling band’s debut disc don’t you think? This was a question I put to Simon and his partner-in-cryme Dave Kerzner during a phone interview they were kind enough to let me inflict upon them, but you’ll have to wait to find out what they said because there isn’t space here. Sorry! Suffice to say, releasing an album such as this would have been commercial suicide just a few years ago. But today? Maybe not… maybe the musical climate is shifting a bit thanks to the likes of Muse, so maybe it stands a chance.

When I first heard that a Collins was drumming on a science fiction themed album I could barely believe my luck – InsideOut Records seemed to have conjured up a record tailor-made specifically for me. Brilliant, eh? However, as is the way with things that sound too good to be true, I assumed it would be too good to be true. But you know what? It isn’t too good to be true. It’s blinkin’ brilliant.

Posted Image

Their debut album, "Dimensionaut," will be released on May 20, 2013 in Europe and on May 28, 2013 worldwide.

Edited by WeatherWise, 15 May 2013 - 07:22 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#327 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

its pretty good, although it doesn't touch their debut in my opinion

tough call for me

ya hey, step, and diane young, for me, are just as good as anything the band has ever done

but the 'secondary' songs on the debut are better than the newer ones, i think

both are better than contra

212e8lw.jpg

#328 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

I'd like to hear your thoughts on Sound of Contact, guys. Right now, they're touring with Spock's Beard and Beardfish, two other Inside Out Music artists. They've received attention from much of the progressive rock community and are at the very start of their career as a band.

The album is out in a couple weeks, but people are starting to post tracks from the album early. The album has been on sale at the concerts themselves. I can provide two more tracks from the album, aside from the single, based on what others have uploaded.

4. "I Am Dimensionaut" (my favorite bit happens at 2:54)

2. "Cosmic Distance Ladder" (an instrumental leading up to "Pale Blue Dot;" for some reason, this was uploaded only in 240p, so audio compression is a bit noticeable here).

Edited by WeatherWise, 16 May 2013 - 01:05 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#329 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:07 AM

i love everything about Dianne Young.

what do you guys think about the new Daft Punk? i only like like a couple of the songs, but the one with Panda is raaaaad
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#330 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,165 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

what do you guys think about the new Daft Punk? i only like like a couple of the songs, but the one with Panda is raaaaad

Been listening to it this morning.
Not sure how I feel about the interview throughout Giorgio...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.