The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

guys should try out Woodkid. New artist from France, English album out this week!

Lots of 80's influence here, eh, Fin? The Smiths... Depeche Mode... Joy Division... New Order... Pet Shop Boys... Frankie... Vocalist even sounds a little like Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears...I like it.

I wish there was some guitar though.

i had to google it, but there was some good stuff released in 96

tool - aenima

beck - odelay

belle and sebastian - tigermilk

belle and sebastian - if you're feeling sinister

DJ shadow - endtroducing

pearl jam - no code

nick cave - murder ballads

modest mouse - long drive

marilyn manson - antichrist superstar

and of course:

wallflowers - bringing down the horse

Good '96 list, GLASSJAW!

I would add:

Screaming Trees - Dust

Alice In Chains - Unplugged

Down On The Upside - Soundgarden

ZZTop - Rhythmeen

Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Porcupine Tree - Signify

Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

Placebo - Placebo

The Black Crowes - Three Snakes And One Charm

Verve Pipe - Villains

Lots of 80's influence here, eh, Fin? The Smiths... Depeche Mode... Joy Division... New Order... Pet Shop Boys... Frankie... Vocalist even sounds a little like Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears...I like it.

I wish there was some guitar though.

Hey thanks for commenting! I know eh? It's got a bit of everything, yet I find it rather refreshing. It's rather exhilarating with the percussion. I do agree with the guitar, especially the end of the track. The track just ends a bit empty I feel.

His album is more or less similar in style. Here is another one from the debut album.

Hey thanks for commenting! I know eh? It's got a bit of everything, yet I find it rather refreshing. It's rather exhilarating with the percussion. I do agree with the guitar, especially the end of the track. The track just ends a bit empty I feel.

His album is more or less similar in style. Here is another one from the debut album.

I liked Run Boy Run Better, Fin. This was interesting, though... More classical music. My question is, is Lemoine a multi-instrumentalist or all all of his sounds synthesized? I loved the horns and strings in Iron and I think the percussion in both tunes is outstanding... kind of a cross between Blue Man Group and a Cirque Du Soliel soundtrack.

Some filmmaker should hire Lemoine to do a soundtrack! Hell, he should make movies and do his own soundtracks. Talented guy.

Have you seen / heard this one, dude? I'm sure you have. This one's more "pop-y", but still baroque / classical laden.

Iron was previously on his EP called Iron, from 2011. It was made popular by appearing in a trailet to a video game Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. To tell the truth, I liked the EP more than the LP as I wrote in my previous post, the arrangments are not so original if almost every song on the album follows the same routine.

And for those that liked The Raven That Refused to Sing, check out this project called Storm Corrosion. It's a collaboration between Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. Album is pretty much in the same vein as the composition The Raven That Refused to Sing, + there is also a great video to one song:

I liked Run Boy Run Better, Fin. This was interesting, though... More classical music. My question is, is Lemoine a multi-instrumentalist or all all of his sounds synthesized? I loved the horns and strings in Iron and I think the percussion in both tunes is outstanding... kind of a cross between Blue Man Group and a Cirque Du Soliel soundtrack.

Some filmmaker should hire Lemoine to do a soundtrack! Hell, he should make movies and do his own soundtracks. Talented guy.

Have you seen / heard this one, dude? I'm sure you have. This one's more "pop-y", but still baroque / classical laden.

I'm glad you enjoyed the music Hugemanskost.

I am not entirely sure whether he plays multiple instruments, as I myself just begun to discover him. He has played the piano since childhood. Prior to this he's actually more renowned for his artistic directions in a few music videos like Lana del Rey's "Born to Die" and this other Katy Perry one I don't know the name to (I don't listen to her lol).

I have listened to his whole album once, and repeated some tracks I like at first listen, but "I Love You" isn't one of them. I think the track doesn't really live up to those epic tracks he released prior.

Woodkid's having an international tour, too bad Vancouver's not one of the places he'll be going (Montreal is the only Canadian city he's visiting). The closest place from Vancouver he's playing is Hollywood.

But I agree with GrainWetzky in that the album is rather thematically homogenous, which is good if you happen to really like the style. For someone who isn't in love with the album, he/she might find it boring. This also brings up how he'd make it should he release a 2nd album (i.e. how he'd wow his fans after all this). Something tells me tho he won't have a 2nd album though. He also has rather weak vocals, so he'll have to work on that if he wants to continue as a singer.

no good music since 1996!!!!! TRUTH!!!!

While I think this is a silly absolutist statement, I would probably agree that 96/97 was the last time music (at least in the conventional, Western, 'mainstream' sense) really went through an overall progressive zeitgeist shift. Four albums in particular that were game-changing were released close together:

-Odelay (June 18, 1996)

-Ænima (September 17, 1996)

-Endtroducing (November 19, 1996)

-OK Computer (May 1, 1997)

Plenty of great music released since, but nothing so forward thinking and startlingly original, at least for me. I guess EDM has had dubstep, but I don't really think that's as impressive as it tends to get hyped as.

all music was good in 96 and under, all radio music everything.. now I cant even turn on the radio cause it soo bad.. its like they ran outta ideas and lyrics..

I agree, machete, that mainstream radio is difficult to listen to, these days. Satellite Radio is much better and offers a more diverse mix of choices than regular AM / FM does. It is a bit of a stretch to say that "all music was good in 96 and under", though. There was plenty of terrible music on mainstream radio in the early and mid-90's, and before.

There's tons of great new music out there, too, if you take the time to find it and listen to it.

can you guys imagine how stupid machete must be if he actually believes what he's saying?

I think calling machete "stupid" is kind of harsh. He's probably a 20-something kid who was used to turning on the radio and being bombarded by music he loves on AM / FM when he was a teen. The Internet would be a good place for him to start looking for new stuff, along with this thread.

Narrow horizons rather than "stupid', methinks.

alright, stupid was harsh. however, to not like modern music is one thing, but to say that musicians across the world somehow lack creativity and just can't write lyrics anymore.. is weird. in order for someone to actually believe that, they would have to have an extremely (as you say) "narrow" view of the world (and art in general), and be unable to look beyond their own personal interests. how can creativity just cease to exist?

his criticism should be of the state of Much Music, and pop-music radio stations... not of the entire spectrum of music as a whole.

You guys seem to be in the loop. Is there a new tool album coming out this year? If so, are you guys looking forward to it?

this question pops up a few times each year, and i think the answer is that nobody knows.

i'll definitely give it a listen, whenever it's released. used to love that band back in the day. but i just listened to their entire discography yesterday (and through to today) and i wasn't all that impressed with half of it. Aenima and Lateralus are both staples of the genre and nearly flawless, but I genuinely hated Opiate, wasn't crazy about Undertow (which used to be my favourite), and 10,000 Days has strong moments, but just seemed like recycled ideas from previous work. I love Jambi though. edit: but I can't stress enough how impressed i was with Aenima. That album is ridiculously good. Lateralus, too.

from wikipedia: In January 2013, the band stated they were "over half done" with their upcoming album.[91] In early February, despite Keenan stating that there would not be a new album released in 2013, Carey said that the album might still be released "sometime this year."[92]

this question pops up a few times each year, and i think the answer is that nobody knows.

i'll definitely give it a listen, whenever it's released. used to love that band back in the day. but i just listened to their entire discography yesterday (and through to today) and i wasn't all that impressed with half of it. Aenima and Lateralus are both staples of the genre and nearly flawless, but I genuinely hated Opiate, wasn't crazy about Undertow (which used to be my favourite), and 10,000 Days has strong moments, but just seemed like recycled ideas from previous work. I love Jambi though. edit: but I can't stress enough how impressed i was with Aenima. That album is ridiculously good. Lateralus, too.

from wikipedia: In January 2013, the band stated they were "over half done" with their upcoming album.[91] In early February, despite Keenan stating that there would not be a new album released in 2013, Carey said that the album might still be released "sometime this year."[92]

That's what I figured. Thanks.

I hope it's great, but I'm worried they aren't committed 100% to it.

Archived