The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

omg, new David Bowie album coming out in March.

PLEASE GO ON TOUR

PLEASE GO ON TOUR

PLEASE GO ON TOUR

Apparently no tour but a single was just released titled "Where Are We Now?".

David Bowie is celebrating his birthday by releasing new music.

The English singer announced Tuesday, his 66th birthday, that he has released his first song in 10 years titled "Where Are We Now?"

A new album, "The Next Day," will be out March 11 and 12 in the United Kingdom and the United States, respectively.

The slow groove was released on iTunes and in 119 countries. It was produced by longtime collaborator Tony Visconti.

Bowie's last album was 2003's "Reality." The fashion forward singer debuted in the 1960s, releasing multiple successful albums with sounds that range from rock to pop to glam rock to soul and funk.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's hits include "Let's Dance," ''China Girl," ''Fame" and "Dancing In the Street."

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/music/David+Bowie+releases+single+announces+plans+first/7789278/story.html#ixzz2HP935wvo

And in the vein of memories of my (misspent) youth after the Bowie post... one word

JIMI HENDRIX

Well two words actually.

Although he died September 18, 1970 the legend lives on.

On March 5th, 2012... 12 previously unreleased Jimi Hendrix recordings from 1968 and 1969 studio sessions will be available as People, Hell and Angels. The legendary guitarist was experimenting with new sounds and musical directions for First Rays of the New Rising Sun, the planned double-album follow-up to Electric Ladyland,

Screen-Shot-2013-01-08-at-8.17.40-AM.png

And a single from that coming album has been released.

"Somewhere," Hendrix sits down with Buddy Miles on drums and Stephen Stills on bass for a far-reaching psychedelic blues jam. Recorded in 1968, "Somewhere" rides signature Hendrix wails, long exploratory solos and free-flowing wordplay.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/jimi-hendrix-goes-exploring-on-somewhere-premiere-20130108#ixzz2HPAg2MYk

Vampire Weekend's third album is influenced by jazz, Bob Dylan and The Clash according to Rostam Batmanglij.

09216_145907_vampireweekendPMVH.jpgThe multi-instrumentalist spoke to Uncutabout the forthcoming album, the US band's first since 2010's 'Contra'. Discussing the influences and sounds the band are creating, Batmanglij said: "The goal was to use organic sounds and put them in a context that you might not have heard before. It's certainly darker and grittier than 'Contra'. A lot of these songs are about conflict. They're about the choices we can make, being able to do what we want with our lives."

He added: "With 'Contra' I was interested in a kind of arty, '80's New York sound, but this album goes deeper. It gets into the '50s and some of it sounds like jazz, but broken down into its most basic elements and played in a very simple way. It's more of a subtle kind of complexity and there's an intimacy to the performances, both vocal and instrumental, that are very special. I think the sound of the piano is central to the record."

ooh looking forward to this. also gotta download me that new toro y moi

omg, new David Bowie album coming out in March.

PLEASE GO ON TOUR

PLEASE GO ON TOUR

PLEASE GO ON TOUR

I've seen him twice. All I can say is, if he does another tour, don't freakin miss it!

I'm psyched for Vampire Weekend. Both of their albums are favourites of mine. Add in The National and Nick Cave, and it is sounding like an improvement on 2012 already.

I have doubts that any single album will top Lonerism though.

for those who like hip hop, Classified is coming out with a new album that is out January 22nd.

for those who haven't heard of him, he's quite good. undergroundish, but still known.

This is a pretty good underground artist:

Although his most recent music (aside from this song) has been kinda crap...the rest is gold.

There are more Asian ones! But they all rap in Korean so I won't bother posting :lol:

this has nothing to do with 2013, but i listened to woods - songs of shame for the first time today, man is incredible. i never thought i would love an indie folk album so much. whats the best place to go in their discography after this?

heard that? brilliant

i've been singing Woods' praises since around 2009, but i think the unfortunate reality is the band is yet to top Songs of Shame. How could they? that album is amazing. but their follow up album 'at echo lake' has a few really great tracks on it. i wouldn't say it has filler, but it has a few songs that are easy to forget.

sun and shade was alright, but not as good as the last two.

their album last year, Bend Beyond, was good. I think I only listened to it once.

Woods has brought out an album a year since 2009, I think. So there's lots of material to go through. I'd rank them:

1. Songs of Shame

2. At Echo Lake

3. Bend Beyond (if my brief listen and memory does me any justice)

4. At Rear House (although this might be really good too. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember liking it back in the day)

5. Sun and Shade

heard that? brilliant

i've been singing Woods' praises since around 2009, but i think the unfortunate reality is the band is yet to top Songs of Shame. How could they? that album is amazing. but their follow up album 'at echo lake' has a few really great tracks on it. i wouldn't say it has filler, but it has a few songs that are easy to forget.

sun and shade was alright, but not as good as the last two.

their album last year, Bend Beyond, was good. I think I only listened to it once.

Woods has brought out an album a year since 2009, I think. So there's lots of material to go through. I'd rank them:

1. Songs of Shame

2. At Echo Lake

3. Bend Beyond (if my brief listen and memory does me any justice)

4. At Rear House (although this might be really good too. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember liking it back in the day)

5. Sun and Shade

Yeah I downloaded At Echo Lake, gawd I love their sound. I'll pobably just go chronologically through their discography for now. And yeah Rain On is pretty much a perfect pop song.

My god watching it live makes you realize how high his voice actually goes

Quite a few (potentially) good releases early in the year.

Some notable bands with stuff coming out early on in the year:

Jan:

- Dropkick Murphys (do people still listen to this stuff?) who doesnt listen to this stuff

- Solange

- A$AP Rocky

- Christopher Owens

- Yo La Tengo

- Ra Ra Riot

- Say Anything

- Joy Formidable

- Toro y Moi

- J Cole

- Tegan and Sara

- Ducktails

- Local Natives

- Pere Ubu

Feb:

- Eels

- Kris Kristofferson

- Frightened Rabbit

- Foals

- Millionyoung

- Veronica Falls

- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (!!!!!!)

- Beach Fossils

- Iceage

- Mark Kozelek

- Doldrums

- V/A Rogues Gallery 2

- Johnny Marr

- Sally Shapiro

Later, there's stuff from:

Low

Queens of the Stone Age

They Might Be Giants

The Knife

Black Sabbath

Tool

Neko Case

Pantha du Prince

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Arcade Fire

Bad Religion

Phoenix

Atoms for Peace

Lady Gaga

countless more yet to be announced.

SHOULD be stuff from:

My Bloody Valentine

Modest Mouse

MF DOOM / Madvillain

MF DOOM / Ghostface collab

MF DOOM / Freddie Gibbs colab

Wu Tang

GZA "astrophysics inspired album"

Deerhunter / Atlas Sound / Ghetto Cross / some Bradford Cox stuff

No Age

Broken Bells

The National (maybe?)

TV on the Radio

Primal Scream?

Stone Roses?

These New Puritans (whatever happened to these guys?)

Sufjan Stevens

Modest Mouse (they've been "recording" for like almost 2 years now, it seems -- not really a good sign)

Joanna Newsom

D'Angelo

U2

Eminem

Happy to see some DKM and Modest Mouse

p4k just ripped up the Christopher Owens album

I love it all the same, and kinda want to go to that concert... but the album is under 30 minutes, and I know he doesn't play Girls stuff on this tour... so what does he do? is half the set covers, or what? No way am I paying the cost to head into Vancouver for a 30 minute set.

yeah i heard he plays "don't think twice, it's all right." which may be my favourite song ever written. top 5, at least.

i understand why they ripped it apart, and most of their comments are fair. it's sometimes pretty damn cheesy in terms of instrumentation (sax rarely "works" for me.) but it feels kinda like reading the journal of someone close to you that you're worried about. doesn't matter if it's poorly written or whatever, it's too interesting and sincere to ignore.

Archived