Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lditMVZ2kj4

heard that? brilliant

i've been singing Woods' praises since around 2009, but i think the unfortunate reality is the band is yet to top Songs of Shame. How could they? that album is amazing. but their follow up album 'at echo lake' has a few really great tracks on it. i wouldn't say it has filler, but it has a few songs that are easy to forget.

sun and shade was alright, but not as good as the last two.

their album last year, Bend Beyond, was good. I think I only listened to it once.

Woods has brought out an album a year since 2009, I think. So there's lots of material to go through. I'd rank them:

1. Songs of Shame
2. At Echo Lake
3. Bend Beyond (if my brief listen and memory does me any justice)
4. At Rear House (although this might be really good too. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember liking it back in the day)
5. Sun and Shade

Yeah I downloaded At Echo Lake, gawd I love their sound. I'll pobably just go chronologically through their discography for now. And yeah Rain On is pretty much a perfect pop song.

My god watching it live makes you realize how high his voice actually goes

Edited by Humble Rodent, 10 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

Posted Image

#32 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

this song is seriously amazing:

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#33 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

the new smith westerns album is due to come out soonish, it's been finished for months.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#34 Calgary_Canuck

Calgary_Canuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

yeah yeah yeahs
Posted Image

#35 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

been listening to tame impala almost non stop lately.

christopher owens announced a vancouver show in march at the biltmore. i'll go if it's pretty cheap.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#36 My Account

My Account

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Quite a few (potentially) good releases early in the year.

Some notable bands with stuff coming out early on in the year:

Jan:

- Dropkick Murphys (do people still listen to this stuff?) who doesnt listen to this stuff
- Solange
- A$AP Rocky
- Christopher Owens
- Yo La Tengo
- Ra Ra Riot
- Say Anything
- Joy Formidable
- Toro y Moi
- J Cole
- Tegan and Sara
- Ducktails
- Local Natives
- Pere Ubu

Feb:
- Eels
- Kris Kristofferson
- Frightened Rabbit
- Foals
- Millionyoung
- Veronica Falls
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (!!!!!!)
- Beach Fossils
- Iceage
- Mark Kozelek
- Doldrums
- V/A Rogues Gallery 2
- Johnny Marr
- Sally Shapiro

Later, there's stuff from:

Low
Queens of the Stone Age
They Might Be Giants
The Knife
Black Sabbath
Tool
Neko Case
Pantha du Prince
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Arcade Fire
Bad Religion
Phoenix
Atoms for Peace
Lady Gaga

countless more yet to be announced.

SHOULD be stuff from:

My Bloody Valentine
Modest Mouse
MF DOOM / Madvillain
MF DOOM / Ghostface collab
MF DOOM / Freddie Gibbs colab
Wu Tang
GZA "astrophysics inspired album"
Deerhunter / Atlas Sound / Ghetto Cross / some Bradford Cox stuff
No Age
Broken Bells
The National (maybe?)
TV on the Radio
Primal Scream?
Stone Roses?
These New Puritans (whatever happened to these guys?)
Sufjan Stevens
Modest Mouse (they've been "recording" for like almost 2 years now, it seems -- not really a good sign)
Joanna Newsom
D'Angelo
U2
Eminem

Happy to see some DKM and Modest Mouse
Posted Image

Thanks avelanch for the sick signature

#37 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

p4k just ripped up the Christopher Owens album

I love it all the same, and kinda want to go to that concert... but the album is under 30 minutes, and I know he doesn't play Girls stuff on this tour... so what does he do? is half the set covers, or what? No way am I paying the cost to head into Vancouver for a 30 minute set.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#38 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

yeah i heard he plays "don't think twice, it's all right." which may be my favourite song ever written. top 5, at least.

i understand why they ripped it apart, and most of their comments are fair. it's sometimes pretty damn cheesy in terms of instrumentation (sax rarely "works" for me.) but it feels kinda like reading the journal of someone close to you that you're worried about. doesn't matter if it's poorly written or whatever, it's too interesting and sincere to ignore.

Edited by Hume, 15 January 2013 - 12:36 AM.

REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#39 Z.Kassian9

Z.Kassian9

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

If anyone is a Rap and Hip/Hop enthusiast, go check out ASAP Rocky's new album which came out today, Long.Live.ASAP. Currently number 1 on iTunes and it is possibly one of the greatest albums I have ever heard.

5/5 Take a listen people.

#40 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Pitchfork gave D'Angelo's Voodoo reissue a full 10/10.

I mean, it was an awesome album (I'd say an 8.5 would be fair...and I'm not a big R&B buff)...but 10? Seriously?
Posted Image

#41 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

they give 10s to re-issues so easily

Posted Image

#42 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

i can't think of a single RnB album i'd give more than 4/10, except The Weeknd

easily my least favourite popular genre

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#43 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

i can't think of a single RnB album i'd give more than 4/10, except The Weeknd

easily my least favourite popular genre

You wouldn't give more than 4/10 to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill? The Love Below? The aforementioned Voodoo?

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of most R&B, but that seems a little extreme. I do like some of the old-fashioned stuff. Have enjoyed everything Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings have released.
Posted Image

#44 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

I wasn't sure when or if this day would come, but it finally has. I have absolutely no interest in new music anymore. The last new album I was actually excited about was the Sleigh Bells debut album. Since then, I just couldn't care less. At 30, I finally turned into my dad, and I have no positive or negative feelings about that. Only music that I grew up with does it for me now. Very much in the, "these kids with their music today" stage of my life.

Still love movies though.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#45 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I wasn't sure when or if this day would come, but it finally has. I have absolutely no interest in new music anymore. The last new album I was actually excited about was the Sleigh Bells debut album. Since then, I just couldn't care less. At 30, I finally turned into my dad, and I have no positive or negative feelings about that. Only music that I grew up with does it for me now. Very much in the, "these kids with their music today" stage of my life.

Get out of here, old man!

:P

I'm 34, and on the other end of the spectrum. I look forward to new music, but am starting to care less and less about movies.

I think part of it is having my first child. Who has 90 minutes+ to be fully engrossed in a movie? But I listen to music all the time - even as I type this. Movies seem to steal time, whereas music can often accentuate whatever else you need to do.
Posted Image

#46 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Get out of here, old man!

:P

I'm 34, and on the other end of the spectrum. I look forward to new music, but am starting to care less and less about movies.

I think part of it is having my first child. Who has 90 minutes+ to be fully engrossed in a movie? But I listen to music all the time - even as I type this. Movies seem to steal time, whereas music can often accentuate whatever else you need to do.

Music still does it for me, just not new music. Can't get excited about it.As for movies, I enjoy that time more, but I also rarely get through a movie in one sitting. I usually fall asleep halfway through, regardless of how good it may be.

#47 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

You wouldn't give more than 4/10 to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill? The Love Below? The aforementioned Voodoo?

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of most R&B, but that seems a little extreme. I do like some of the old-fashioned stuff. Have enjoyed everything Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings have released.

Well, I mean... I obviously would "objectively" rate Lauryn Hill's album higher, because I understand how important it was, its context, popularity, etc. And I for sure recognize Hill's (former?) talent... but I can't say I've voluntarily listened to more than two or three of her songs in as long as my memory serves. So how could I rate it high on personal preference, if I haven't even gone out of my way to listen to her music in a decade?

I guess my rating would be purely based on personal preference, which admittedly is a pretty poor way to look at stuff.

but yeah, point taken: 4/10 is pretty extreme. I've just never been big on the genre, minus the super old school stuff from way back when.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#48 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Just curious, what kind of music do you turn to then? Or, what did you 'grow up with'?

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#49 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

that new youth lagoon song IS really nice
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#50 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Youth Lagoon's debut album was really great, I thought. Kind of a one-trick pony, but I'm excited for the new stuff (won't listen to the single yet)

I'm super psyched for that Merchandize album too. Can't get enough of that single.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#51 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

i like basically everything that sounds like a bedroom recording with lots of reverb and delay and stuff.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#52 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

funny, just been listening to vamp weekend for the first time in ages this weekend. really enjoyed both their albums, which is new for me, as i never was fussy about their second. excited to hear this.

Random fact I remember reading awhile back: both of VW's albums were intentionally released in January on the theory that they could cash in on people's 'winter blues', since their music is so reminiscent of hot climates.

Anyways, since it was mentioned up-thread and I'm really excited for it, NPR recently had a sneak preview of the second Rogue's Gallery compilation of sea chanties. The featured track is a duet between Tom Waits and Keith Richards!

http://www.npr.org/b...-villagers-more

#53 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

funny, i almost never listen to vampire weekend except in the summer, when i play it almost non-stop.

Posted Image

#54 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,291 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

i've always wondered if there's a 'release schedule' for music that the industry generally goes by

like, you know how there's the unwritten law that if a movie has intellectual depth and an artsy presentation it's usually released between Oct - Jan to fit the award circuit, and the mindless summer garbage is released in the summer?

is there an equivalent for music, do you think? i've been trying to notice consistences for 'album of the year' type releases, stuff with mega hype, and i can't really notice anything

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#55 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

KMFDM's album Kunst is out next month. Gotta listen to it -- without a doubt it will be part of their set list during their US tour that starts around the same time. Also gotta find a venue to see them at.. they aren't coming to Canada this year.

#56 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Just curious, what kind of music do you turn to then? Or, what did you 'grow up with'?

Well, it depends really. I have over 9000 songs on my ipod, obviously don't listen to them all. It's cliche, I know, but the bands I go back to the most are The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, The Kinks, and Elvis. Mixed in with that would be AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Beck, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Blur. Of the "current" bands since 2000, the only bands I can think of that I listen to on a regular basis would be The White Stripes (yes tail end of the 90s), Panda Bear, The Shins, and Graham Coxon.EDIT: Forgot Tom Waits.

Edited by Monty, 17 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#57 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Well, it depends really. I have over 9000 songs on my ipod, obviously don't listen to them all. It's cliche, I know, but the bands I go back to the most are The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, The Kinks, and Elvis. Mixed in with that would be AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Beck, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Blur. Of the "current" bands since 2000, the only bands I can think of that I listen to on a regular basis would be The White Stripes (yes tail end of the 90s), Panda Bear, The Shins, and Graham Coxon.

Look at this guy! "Randomly" name-dropping Panda among a list of top-20 bands!

Quit trying to suck up to glassjaw, Monty.
Posted Image

#58 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

i've always wondered if there's a 'release schedule' for music that the industry generally goes by

like, you know how there's the unwritten law that if a movie has intellectual depth and an artsy presentation it's usually released between Oct - Jan to fit the award circuit, and the mindless summer garbage is released in the summer?

is there an equivalent for music, do you think? i've been trying to notice consistences for 'album of the year' type releases, stuff with mega hype, and i can't really notice anything

I could see Vampire Weekend trying that, since so much of their music totally makes me think of going on vacation.

One of the best pure Summer albums of the last few years was Cut Copy's Zonoscope, and it was released in the dead of January. Then again, Cut Copy is Australian, and January is their summer, so I guess it made sense.
Posted Image

#59 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Look at this guy! "Randomly" name-dropping Panda among a list of top-20 bands!

Quit trying to suck up to glassjaw, Monty.

Have to boost my rep somehow.

#60 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

my brother said labels try to get bands to release albums in like march so that they'll be at their peak of popularity for "festival season"

my friend works in a record store and he told me that bands used to release albums to coincide with christmas, but now that less people buy music and festivals got so big, that isn't the case any more.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.