The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

i remember loving a Drones album a few years ago. the one that had that Jezebel song on it? whatever it's called. such a great song!

anyone hear the new Smith Westerns album yet? can't find it anywhere online, but i'm really interested

I've only just jumped on board with this album because everyone over here is saying it's their best yet and even though I haven't listened to their bac-catalogue this album is probably going to be my album of the year.

opinions on the new Kanye record, anyone?

i've never been a big fan of his. enjoy a few songs here and there, but never a full albums worth. i like that New Slave (or whatever) song, but haven't heard the leak yet.

most comments i've read so far praise the first half, but say the second half is seriously lacking

nobody is talking about Yeezus?

it's the most interesting and groundbreaking think he's done production wise. listen to Black Skinhead with headphones on, holy, that panning and stuff is ridiculous.

the lyrics kinda suck on quite a lot of them though. how many rappers have dropped that line about making an ass shake like someone with parkinsons in the last couple years? i can think of 3 already. some of the lines are laughably bad like HURRY UP WITH MY DAMN CROISSANT and basically all of I Am A God.

hate the chief keef feature, hate all of I'm In It, but it's a very good very emotional album. like an 8.5/10 for me.

nobody is talking about Yeezus?

it's the most interesting and groundbreaking think he's done production wise. listen to Black Skinhead with headphones on, holy, that panning and stuff is ridiculous.

the lyrics kinda suck on quite a lot of them though. how many rappers have dropped that line about making an ass shake like someone with parkinsons in the last couple years? i can think of 3 already. some of the lines are laughably bad like HURRY UP WITH MY DAMN CROISSANT and basically all of I Am A God.

hate the chief keef feature, hate all of I'm In It, but it's a very good very emotional album. like an 8.5/10 for me.

The production on Black Skinhead is amazing.

If Kanye becomes pregnant I can only guess that it's Justin Vernon's baby. Those two have quite the relationship.

still listening to that Phoenix album, and still think it's good

Parquet Courts is just as good as anything else in the garage rock style of late, a less edgy version of Ty Segall, just with better lyrics but not as much talent and energy

that Jagwar Ma album got a lot of hype from a friend recently, I thought it was just pretty good though.

Gonna be hard to top this for album of the year. Solid from start to finish!

Yeah, a few of the songs stood out right away (I Should Live In Salt, Heavenfaced, Graceless...), but now almost every song is a favourite. Can't stop listening to it.

I listened to both yesterday, trying to decide which I like more (nothing better to do), and I think it's a really tough call. The National is great, but for me, every song sounds extremely similar to the next song, and most of those songs sound extremely similar to many other songs the band has done

While Nick Cave is very much still Nick Cave, the album has more variety, and its high points are better than The National's high points for me.

Buuut I still need to be in the "right mood" for Cave, while The National is pretty easy to digest in any situation and could be elevator music as much as it could be stuff to really focus on

Both are really good though!

Arcade Fire may beat 'em both.

Right now it's:

1. National

2. VW

3. Nick Cave

4. Flaming Lips...

The first half of 2013 has been absolutely fantastic. Other than Tame Impala, I like these four more than any album from last year. And I haven't even heard These New Puritans, Smith Westerns, QOTSA, Laura Marling...

I overplayed VW soooo much in its first few weeks, definitely need a break from it, but yeah, it may even be better than Nick Cave and the National for me.

I also very highly rate the latest Iceage, Deerhunter, Kurt Vile, Baths, My Bloody Valentine, The Knife, and--yes--even the new Phoenix has grown on me biiig time.

But I totally agree, D-Money, Tame Impala still has them all beat by the pretty big margin

Everyone seems to be praising the new QOTSA pretty intensely, but I couldn't even make it through the first listen, haha

I really need to give it another try

Apparently that Black Sabbath album is pretty good too (for a bunch of old guys trying to recapture their former glory), but I couldn't even make it through the first song. Again, need to try it with more patience

Archived