The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Man, the album from Everything Everything is pretty good. Lots of hidden little melodies everywhere. The good but unremarkable p4k review (7.6) doesn't seem like it does it justice.

Sounds like Bloc Party meets TV on the Radio

Solid album. Something in the Manchester water to keep producing all these good bands. Maybe it's soot.

Just finished Arc, so goooood. Thanks for posting that up, my favourite is Don't Try.

2013 already wins as I didn't really like anything new that I listened to last year, admittedly I didn't really actively look but nothing really stood out for me.

I mostly can't wait for Arcade Fire this year, pretty sure they won't let me down.

road trip to spain, anyone?

Primavera Sound's lineup:

my bloody valentine

the postal service

nick cave and the bad seeds

grizzly bear

wu tang clan

the knife

phoenix

animal collective

jesus and mary chain

tame impala

woods

hot chip

deerhunter

camera obscura

kurt vile

crystal castles

foxygen

swans

four tet

liars

christopher owens

meat puppets

mount eerie

dinosaur jr

I don't have much use for Death Cab, and haven't bothered with that new Ben Gibbard solo album...but I always had a soft spot for Postal Service.

Haven't heard - is a new album coming?

That's what I'm like, never bothered with the other stuff but loved The Postal Service. Just looked on their website again it's been updated to show a re-issue of Give Up (with 2 new tracks), an appearance at the show gJ mentioned and "more to come". I hope they do make a new album, but it's been forever and it might end up crap like No Doubt was last year.

edit - just looked on twitter and there's a tweet that reads:

@jimmytamborello and I are very excited to (hopefully) be playing in a town near you very soon. One time offer, while supplies last. #giveup

Maybe it'll be like Refused, touring around again.

what's the diff between Ben Gibbard solo and Death Cab? I thought Death Cab was just a vehicle (ha ha, get it?) for his own songwriting anyway?

I'm not a fan of any of his work to any extreme length, but I remember thinking Transatlanticism was a pretty solid record! A few good songs on there, none of which live up to the standards set by the album's phenomenal art work, unfortunately.

220px-Transatlanticism.jpg

I actually am not on board with the Death Cab hate. Early lo-fi DC had a lot of neat, quirky, enjoyable songs, and I personally think that The Photo Album - Transatlanticism - Plans was as good a 1-2-3 punch as any band has done in the last little while. Ben has just gotten soft. It may be a vehicle for his songs, but Chris Walla was always the genius who sanded off the edges. Although, Chris Walla's solo album was also unbelievably poor.

Anyways, DCFC relies on pretty standard arrangements and self-deprication. That can only go so far, and Ben moving down from a full band to basically just him on a guitar means that every song lacks a little creativity. Like I said, I like Ben Gibbard on the whole, but he knows how to write one kind of song and that's it.

Archived