Posted Image

#92 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

That song is good, Bookie, which is surprising for me because the Mars Volta is one of my least favourite bands, pretty much ever. And I made an effort to like them, as I was huge on At The Drive-In, back in the day.

i'm crossing my fingers for a at the drive in reunion here.

i actually enjoy the mars volta's first couple records haha, wanky prog rock if there was but it can be fun

Posted Image

#93 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

also:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#94 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

wouldn't pay to see any of the headliners in concert, but there are so many gems further down in that lineup.

modest mouse, lou reed, youth lagoon, alt-j, earl, sigur ros, spiritualized, kurt vile, the xx, new order, james blake, tame impala, wu-tang, father john misty, and thee oh sees are all artists i haven't seen and am very interested in seeing.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#95 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

you wouldn't want to see blur? i dunno if the stone roses have anything left in the tank, but i'd love to see blur perform, before they inevitably break up again

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#96 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

anyone else find it weird to see Phoenix headlining every festival ever, this year?

i had no idea they were even that popular

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#97 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

what i meant was that i would see blur if i was there, but if they came to vancouver i wouldn't pay over like $40 to see them.

i guess coachella is banking on phoenix putting out an album this year that's as big/bigger than the last one.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#98 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,345 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

anyone else find it weird to see Phoenix headlining every festival ever, this year?

i had no idea they were even that popular

They didn't really crack North America until their last album. But I think they have been big in Europe for a few albums now. And with songs like Consolation Prizes, it's easy to see why. Great pop music, that's tame enough for the masses to accept, and not lame enough for the hipsters to reject.

I think they're a good band. Also, I've seen them live on TV a few times, and they absolutely crushed it each time. Using Hume's analogy, I'd drop $40 to see them live.

-------------------------------

LONG-WINDED STORY-TIME!:

The situation reminds me of Muse. I kind of liked their Sing For Absolution album when it first came out (must be about 9 years ago now), but didn't know anything about them. Was going to a lot of concerts at the time, so bought tickets to the show at The Commodore for around $20. Bought 3, because I wanted to take a girl I was interested in, and thought I'd score points by grabbing a ticket for her music-loving friend. Why not? They were so cheap. By the day of the concert, my roommate (and long-time buddy) was interested in the aforementioned music-loving friend. So I told him to come with us, and grab a ticket from a scalper. He didn't have a lot of money, but I figured they couldn't be more than $30-40.

So we get to The Commodore, and the scalpers are asking upwards of $70-80 a ticket! I couldn't believe it. The album was fine and all (although severely overdramatic), but what was driving the prices? They were too high for my buddy, and I didn't have a lot to spare then either. So the music-loving girl my friend was interested in said that he should just take the 3rd ticket.

It was kind of a strained situation, since neither my buddy or the girl I was into wanted to desert the friend. So I suggested a compromise, that everyone agreed to. I sold all 3 tickets to the scalper for a sweet profit, and with the proceeds I bought drinks and snacks for everyone. I mean, who cared? They were just some band I'd barely heard of. Then we all headed back to my place, watched a movie, and had a great time.

Nothing happened with the girl I was into - turned out to not be my type. And a few months later, I heard that Muse had been named "The Best Live Band in Britain", which kind of annoyed me at the time. Turns out they were already HUGE in Europe, and sold out stadiums there in short-order. I knew immediately that wouldn't get the chance to see them in a venue that small again.

However, in the end, my buddy married the other girl. And really, no matter how good they are live, it turns out Muse kind of sucks. So all-in-all, I think I made the right choice.

Ahhh...memories...

Edited by D-Money, 25 January 2013 - 11:07 AM.

Posted Image

#99 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Good story, but man, saying this around here might get you banned

And really, no matter how good they are live, it turns out Muse kind of sucks. So all-in-all, I think I made the right choice.

Remember a few years ago when CDC was in love with Muse and pretty much the whole forum was at their Vancouver concerts? haha. I dunno, never been a big fan myself, they just seem soo pompous, which is probably why I dislike Mars Volta as well

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#100 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Widespread Panic, Primus, Gov’t Mule, Phil Lesh & Friends, The Avetts, ALO, Amy Helm and More Confirmed for Mountain Jam

Posted Image
Phil Lesh & Friends, Widespread Panic, Gov’t Mule, Primus,
The Avett Brothers and Dispatch are among the acts slated to appear at the 9th annual Mountain Jam this spring. As previously reported, the multi-band festival—which was founded by Radio Woodstock and Warren Haynes—will return to Hunter, NY’s Mountain Jam from June 6-9, 2013. Other acts slated to appear include: Gary Clark Jr., Soulive, Deer Tick, Jackie Greene, Rubblebucket, ALO, Amy Helm, Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers, The Revivalists, David Wax Museum and SIMO. Phil Lesh & Friends, Widespread Panic and Gov’t Mule will all perform full, two-set shows. Additional acts will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
This will be Panic’s only Northeast festival appearance in 2013.
This is the first time Mountain Jam will host a full-day of music on Thursday. Other new festival additions include car camping, a Food Truck Village, Super VIP experiences and more.

Here’s a look at the festival’s lineup
Phil Lesh & Friends (2 sets)
Widespread Panic (2 sets)
Gov’t Mule (2 sets)
Primus
The Avett Brothers
Dispatch
Gary Clark Jr.
Soulive
Deer Tick
Jackie Greene
Rubblebucket
ALO
Amy Helm
Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers
The Revivalists
David Wax Museum
SIMO

I'd kill for tickets to this incredible jam....Panic and Phil on the same stage with Primus and Mule...I have to get my hands on tickets to this.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#101 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

was finally able to check out that Foxygen album, and wow, totally has Rolling Stones vocals, and sounds just like The Zombies at times too

wasn't super crazy about it though. definitely will give it a couple more listens, but i think my expectations were just a bit different. after all, what's a mick jagger without a keith richards? the music just wasn't that great for me, but i think it'll grow on me

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#102 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,345 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Good story, but man, saying this around here might get you banned

Remember a few years ago when CDC was in love with Muse and pretty much the whole forum was at their Vancouver concerts? haha. I dunno, never been a big fan myself, they just seem soo  pompous, which is probably why I dislike Mars Volta as well

I don't mind the odd song of theirs (especially a few off of Black Holes & Revelations). But yeah, they were somewhat pompous to begin with, and it just gets worse and worse every album.

The new album I can't stand...except, I'm not gonna lie, that Madness song is some catchy s***! The rest is just...well, s***.
Posted Image

#103 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I buy about 500 CD's and LP's a year and the very best one that I have acquired this whole year is from Vancouver's own Ford Pier and his mighty Vengeance trio called "Huzzah". As hard rocking and literate a rock album as you will ever hear it is simply brilliant and what's more you can go to Red Cat records (IMHO the best record/CD store in B.C.) and buy a copy off the man himself since, like all great musicians, he needs a day job to stay alive. Catch them live too; these guys can PLAY!

#104 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Ducktails (solo project of the guitarist from Real Estate) has a new album out, and i think it's just great. I'm a total sucker for Real Estate's work, and this is different but the same. Has all the same reverb/delay/effects on the guitar, and has that 'real estate feel' but the scope seems very narrow. Not really much band jamming so much as it's guitar work, like comparing Lotus Plaza to Deerhunter

anyway, i think it's great. if you're a fan of Real Estate, definitely check it out. the previous Ducktails record, III: Arcade Dynamics, is also good.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#105 Black Mountain

Black Mountain

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm really loving Fidlars debut reminds me of The Black Lips. I really think the new Foxygen album is awesome as well

Maybe it is just me but does the chrous not sound a little like Suspicious Minds?

Do anyone here watch The Needle Drop? I don't always agree with his opinion but he is one of the best at reviewing music.
Posted Image

#106 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Do anyone here watch The Needle Drop? I don't always agree with his opinion but he is one of the best at reviewing music.

I watch almost all of his reviews, and I think his opinions are sometimes completely inaccurate, or often just super confusing. But! his opinions are presented with such humour and charm that I continue viewing them anyway. He's very modest about his opinions, and I like that.

One example is his "5/10" review of The Walkmen's Lisbon, which I found very odd. He constantly reiterates that he's been a fan of the band's past work, but says that Lisbon features The Walkmen at their most "punk rock"? I dunno, their debut album is loaded with some straight up punk jams, and when he criticizes things like "band interplay" it just seems kinda vague. To be honest, I kind of doubt he's even listened to their early work, because his comments about the band just seem odd. Maybe he listened long ago? Who knows.

And his criticism of Grizzly Bear, and high, high, high praise of gnarly metal and drone music and internet 4chan favs Death Grips (the only 10 he's ever given?) just seem silly. I don't care if his opinions differ from mine, but his justification for those opinions just seems confusing at times.

That said, I think he's given some really great reviews and commentary about other things, and I think he's a cool guy.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#107 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,345 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

That Coachella line-up is unreal.

Grinderman AND Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? So awesome.

I can't go, but if I could, I'd be all over that, and these:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grizzly Bear
Vampire Weekend (seen, fantastic live)
Hot Chip
Tame Impala
The Faint
Yeasayer
Franz Ferdinand (seen, killed it)
Bat For Lashes
The xx
Divine Fits
Spiritualized (seen ages ago, remember it being unique)
Dropkick Murphys
Passion Pit
Janelle Monae
The Evens
La Roux (love their underappreciated album)
Father John Misty
Smith Westerns
Metric
DIIV
Of Monsters and Men (their style should make for a great show)
Posted Image

#108 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Someone above mentioned wanting to see Youth Lagoon, has anyone here seen him? I feel like I might be let down, that you can't really express the same charm that was on the record in a public setting

#109 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Related to that, apparently Youth Lagoon is putting a record out on March 5th called Wondrous Bughouse.

#110 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

so... Black Flag reunited.

Without Henry Rollins, of course. But Vancouver's Ron Reyes (the dude who was the vocalist briefly before Rollins) is the singer again.

Wonder if they'll come around the west coast? Absolute legends.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 27 January 2013 - 05:50 AM.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#111 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

so... Black Flag reunited.

Without Henry Rollins, of course. But Vancouver's Ron Reyes (the dude who was the vocalist briefly before Rollins) is the singer again.

Wonder if they'll come around the west coast? Absolute legends.

Black Flag without Henry Rollins is like Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra....it's not the same...at all.

Reyes was a wuss too. He quit the band in 1980 in the MIDDLE of a performance because of escalating violence. Greg Ginn and the rest of the band started calling him "Chavo Pederast" the rest of that show because he quit on them. It's too bad Dez Cadena can't sing anymore...he was the guy who was their singer immediately before Rollins...I'd rather hear him than Reyes.

And Reyes isn't from Canada, he's from California.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 27 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#112 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Greg Ginn is, and always will be the only member of Black Flag that truly matters. Rollins was just the face of the group

Reyes is FROM California, but he's lived in Vancouver for about 30 years

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#113 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Black Flag without Henry Rollins is like Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra....it's not the same...at all.

Reyes was a wuss too. He quit the band in 1980 in the MIDDLE of a performance because of escalating violence. Greg Ginn and the rest of the band started calling him "Chavo Pederast" the rest of that show because he quit on them. It's too bad Dez Cadena can't sing anymore...he was the guy who was their singer immediately before Rollins...I'd rather hear him than Reyes.

And Reyes isn't from Canada, he's from California.

Dez can't sing anymore? Could he ever? He was my fave BF vocalist by a slim margin over Hank; if anything even more depraved and intense. Who is in this reunited lineup?

#114 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Dez can't sing anymore? Could he ever? He was my fave BF vocalist by a slim margin over Hank; if anything even more depraved and intense. Who is in this reunited lineup?

It's the 1979 lineup.

Greg Ginn, Ron Reyes, Robo, Chuck Dukowski

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#115 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Greg Ginn is, and always will be the only member of Black Flag that truly matters. Rollins was just the face of the group

Reyes is FROM California, but he's lived in Vancouver for about 30 years

Reyes moved to Vancouver with a woman he met while BF was on the road touring. He went back to Vancouver with her after he bailed on the band mid-performance in 1980 in Redondo. Dude had a horrible drinking problem and was paranoid his girlfriend was going to get hurt so he quit mid-performance leaving Ginn, Dukowski and Robo without a singer for the rest of that gig. That was a pretty dick move, in my opinion. Henry Rollins is the reason most people even know who Black Flag is so anyone suggesting this tour will be anywhere near as successful as it could be with Rollins is fooling themselves. Agreed that Ginn is indeed the heart and soul of Black Flag but you ask 10 random music fans who Greg Ginn is and then ask the same 10 who Henry Rollins is and it's not even close. Dukowski was a very vital piece as well, because he acted as spokesman when the band was just getting off the ground and was fronted by Keith Morris, later of Circle Jerks.
Posted Image

#116 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

*clears throat*

NEW DAFT PUNK THIS SPRING!!@@!@

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

#117 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

so the new strokes song is depressingly bad. i think i'm going to have to give up on this band now.

Posted Image

#118 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

my bloody valentine's album is released tonight at midnight

oh my god ITS HAPPENING

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#119 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,285 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

it's absolutely amazing

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#120 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Destiny's Child reunion... childhood relived.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.