621 replies to this topic

#121 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

You can listen to the whole new My Bloody Valentine album on their youtube feed:

http://www.youtube.c...V?feature=watch

#122 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

she found now
only tomorrow
in another way

oh my god so good, some amazing guitar work

seriously, just an amazing album. it's not exactly cutting edge, but it's legitimately great

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#123 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

i can't tell if the last song actually has a sample of an airplane engine or not

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#124 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Only getting my second crack at it now and still through my laptop speakers. Busy weekend. My plan for tomorrow morning is to put it on as loud as possible while making breakfast and cleaning the house. Should have a better read on it then, but I'm liking what I hear. 21 yrs in the making! Holy crap, art of this nature deserves better recognition.

#125 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Gearing up for MBV. I have an eighth, a flap and some great headphones. This better be good.

#126 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

I am all of 30 seconds in and all I can think is 'Don't you now have the technology to master this better?' If he's going to do it with Loveless, why not to it now? It sounds like it was produced in the 90s, which I guess it was, but still. Muddy. That usually doesn't bother me, but like I said. You re-mastered Loveless so it wouldn't be as thick, why would you master an album to be re-mastered?

#127 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

This is not an impressive album. It's... like, it's not bad. It sounds like outtakes from Loveless. There's some neat stuff going on, but it's getting a good amount of 'the benefit of the doubt' simply because OMGMBV! I mean, if you love it, great, I tend not to get pissy when people love music. That's cool, and I'm glad it's everything you hoped it would be. It just sounds lost in the past to me, which would be ok if the album had a timeless feel, but it doesn't. It sounds like the outtakes of an album made in the early 90s. And that is disappointing.

#128 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm sold on it now after listening twice in a row at full volume today. I see what you're saying coleman but I find the retro, stuck in the 90s vibe to only be present on the first part of the album, almost to act as a transition into the newer sounds (late in the album it almost sounds like some of the late-90s jungle/drum n bass Shields supposedly played with made it into the background).

Actually the best review I read of the album said it way better than I could, so I'll just quote it:

In an even more fortuitous, retro, and probably accidental twist — though probably not accidental because Shields is just that much of a controlling perfectionist genius — My Bloody Valentine’s website crashed almost immediately after the album was posted, which meant fans had this record sprung on them, and then had to wait several hours before hearing it. Following along on various social media platforms as people waited for the website to come back up was the closest thing to standing in line at a record store for a few hours before midnight.

While monitoring Twitter, I watched Martin McDonagh’s Seven Psychopaths, an absurdly violent, not-quite-profound riff on the mysteries of the creative process and the search for spiritual harmony amid humanity’s chaotic senselessness. Colin Farrell plays Marty, an alcoholic screenwriter who announces in an early scene that he wants his next movie “overall to be about love ... and peace, but it still has to be about seven psychopaths.” My Bloody Valentine owns, in rock music terms, the emotional quality that Farrell’s character describes — the tension between beauty and violence that is both soothing and discomforting, gory and celestial, and loaded with gut-level power and yet not tangibly of this Earth.

On Loveless, those elements were jumbled together in a big disorienting blur; on m b v, they’re separated into distinct elements stacked on top of each other, culminating in a roundhouse wallop in the record’s final third. The first six songs on m b v play like a reward for loyalists — they’re essentially elaborations on Loveless, using those familiar snoring-angel guitar tones on the “loud” songs and the whispery, “I’m crashing at 6 a.m. after doing E all night in the early ’90s” atmospherics on the “soft” songs. The feeling you get from this part of the record is relief; after so many years and so many bands doing half-assed approximations of Loveless, it’s nice to know that nobody does as good of a job sounding like My Bloody Valentine as My Bloody Valentine.

The reassuringly pretty part of m b v ends with what’s by far the record’s poppiest cut, “New You” — the song’s arms-crossed funkiness makes it this album’s “Soon” — and then violence and disorder take over. I’ve played m b v four times now — three listens late Saturday night, and one listen Sunday. Based on this limited sampling, I lean toward declaring m b v a legit “great” record, and that’s due almost entirely to the last three songs. I really like the first six tracks, but the final three come closest to justifying My Bloody Valentine’s rep for blowing the backs off skulls.

http://www.grantland...-exploding-step

#129 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

its bizarre how much it sounds almost exactly like a followup to loveless that could have been released in 1993

Posted Image

#130 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

enjoyed The Guardian's review

this part stands out:

Some people would claim another album that sounds like Loveless would be an achievement in itself: after all, no one else has managed it and it's not for want of trying. But it's not really the whole story of m b v. Some of the shifts between the two albums are subtle, and have less to do with the sound than with Shields's songwriting, a facet of My Bloody Valentine that understandably tends to get overlooked in the rush to talk about his unique abilities as a producer or the punishing volume at which the band play live. Indeed, there are moments in the past when Shields may have overlooked it himself: if you wanted to criticise Loveless, you could suggest that the songs were perhaps a little less interesting and a little more formulaic than those on its predecessor, 1988's Isn't Anything.

The songs on m b v, however, are more melodically complex, intriguing and often pleasing than anything he has written before. The tunes and chord progressions keep slipping their moorings and heading down unexpected paths. There's occasionally something oddly jazzy about m b v, as evidenced by the shifting time signature of Only Tomorrow, which leaves the song sounding as if gasping for breath; and the song Is This and Yes boldly strips away all Shields's trademark sonic mayhem, leaving behind only Butcher's voice and an organ playing a strange and gorgeous chord sequence.

It's not m b v's only unexpected moment. In their heyday, My Bloody Valentine's releases almost invariably carried a hint of WTF? as if with each one Shields was trying to emphasise the distance between him and his imitators by heading into uncharted territory. It reached a kind of pinnacle with Loveless, which effectively killed the MBV-inspired shoegazing movement dead: it was as if, on hearing it, all the bands involved just shruggingly gave up the chase and either vanished or tried something different.

There's something of that about m b v's final three tracks, all three of which are unlike anything My Bloody Valentine have released before. Set to a distorted breakbeat, the sound constantly shifts and changes: it's simultaneously hugely disorientating and hugely exciting. The instrumental nothing is offers a frantic, hypnotic loop of guitars and drums.

The closing Wonder 2, meanwhile, is flatly astonishing. Most attempts to meld drum'n'bass with rock are almost unimaginably awful: ungainly, clodhopping attempts to squeeze guitars somewhere amid the genre's rhythmic clutter. But Wonder 2 sounds incredible, like the sonic counterpart of a dust storm, with Shields's vocal – another beautiful melody – drifting pacifically through it. It instils a kind of pleasurably baffled awe: how did someone arrive at the conclusion that a song should sound like this? Then again, as was established long ago, with My Bloody Valentine, inexplicability is very much part of the deal.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#131 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Deerhunter premiered new music at a show last night.

Can it be? MBV and Deerhunter in the _same_ year?

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#132 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Any rap fans......Drake just dropped his new song started from the bottom from his new album. I hate it right now
Go Canucks Go

#133 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Ah, Drake - from handicapped kid in Degrassi, to handicapped "rapper".

Not a fan in the least. Too bad, because he's probably the only major artist I could score backstage passes to (a buddy of mine is married to his half-sister). But good god...not if you paid me.
Posted Image

#134 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Ah, Drake - from handicapped kid in Degrassi, to handicapped "rapper".

Not a fan in the least. Too bad, because he's probably the only major artist I could score backstage passes to (a buddy of mine is married to his half-sister). But good god...not if you paid me.

Can you get me backstage passes? I'd like ask him to name a song of his I might have heard of.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#135 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Can you get me backstage passes? I'd like ask him to name a song of his I might have heard of.

The best part of reading this post was realizing I couldn't answer it either...can't even think of one song.
Posted Image

#136 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Oh man, new Nick Cave album leaked. "Jubilee Street" is a phenomenal song.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 05 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#137 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Oh man, new Nick Cave album leaked. "Jubilee Street" is a phenomenal song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyX1ISE6KQ

Fantastic.

There are few artists out there as dependable as Nick Cave. I still can't get enough of Palaces of Montezuma from the last Grinderman album.
Posted Image

#138 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

i assumed i had everything modest mouse has done, but i heard the fruit that ate itself today and its blowing my mind

Posted Image

#139 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

The Waydown is my second most played MM song (in the last 4 years)

dunno what it is, but there's something about that song that i absolutely love

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#140 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

If anyone is into underground hip-hop, up and coming Brooklyn duo The Underachievers just released a free mixtape. Downloaded it tonight and I'm 3/4 of the way through, really liking it. Nice meshing of old and new school, East/West Coast flavours.

http://www.datpiff.c...ape.449545.html

#141 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

The Waydown is my second most played MM song (in the last 4 years)

dunno what it is, but there's something about that song that i absolutely love

freal. those backwards tape loops too, so good. i'm surprised it doesn't get more attention generally, pretty easily their best ep, other than maybe everywhere and his nasty parlour tricks

Posted Image

#142 Butcher

Butcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

i assumed i had everything modest mouse has done, but i heard the fruit that ate itself today and its blowing my mind

its a great album, really underrated in their catalogue. I hope they come out with something new this year.

#143 Fathoms

Fathoms

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Jim James - Regions of Light and Sound of God - http://www.rdio.com/...d_Sound_of_God/ (stream)

"A New Life" performed on Jimmy Fallon: http://www.latenight...ew-life/n32348/
wordings...

#144 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

loving the new Nick Cave album, after 3 listens. Way better than Dig Lazarus Dig, imo.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#145 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

for those who like their punk music, Pissed Jeans and Iceage both have albums 'available' now

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#146 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

i checked out the pissed jeans. it's funny music, but i can't get too seriously into it. really digging Iceage though. one of the most fitting band names ever, their music sounds COLD as hell to me.

so many good shows coming to vancouver soon. tame impala, kurt vile, unknown mortal orchestra with foxygen, phoenix with mac demarco, local natives, toro y moi.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#147 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,705 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, I just finished Pissed Jeans and I wasn't a fan. The vocals were jarring after a while, and the music seemed quite one-dimensional

Def going to that Tame Impala show, and Kurt Vile is playing with The One and Onlys... that should be a great show.

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

#148 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Def going to that Tame Impala show, and Kurt Vile is playing with The One and Onlys... that should be a great show.

yeah i grabbed Tame Impala tickets the other day, i'm really excited. they seem like one of the most interesting live bands out there right now, they did such a great job on Jools Holland.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#149 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Gearing up for MBV. I have an eighth, a flap and some great headphones. This better be good.

what is a flap
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#150 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Iceage seems like it could be cool but I wasn't a huge fan of the vocals in the few songs I've heard by them.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.