D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,935 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I like Foxygen.

I really like Nick Cave.

I really, REALLY like the new Nick Cave album. Been a while since he's exercised such restraint.
Posted Image

#212 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Every song sounds fantastic at the beginning, and pretty much loses me at the halfway point.

had the exact opposite reaction in my listening. strongly disliked most songs at the start, then grew to love them as they went. kemosabe especially
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#213 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,935 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

had the exact opposite reaction in my listening. strongly disliked most songs at the start, then grew to love them as they went. kemosabe especially

Maybe I'll feel different after multiple listens. Kemosabe was my favourite track too.

Back to Nick Cave - We Real Cool is pure concentrated awesome.
Posted Image

#214 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

pitchfork keeps trashing Thom Yorke stuff, their attitude seems to be "try harder! make more ambitious stuff!"

they basically want the album to sound like afp live. which to be honest i prefer, but i still really like the new album even if it is essentially an eraser follow up.

Posted Image

#215 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

#216 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,005 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

There's really no need for that T Swift vid to show up in every thread on the boards. We get it.

#217 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

re-listened to that Mac DeMarco album from last year, called "2." And now I can't stop listening to it.

god, it's so good. such chilled out summer music. loooove it.

shoulda been in my top 10, easily. PLUS he's a local boy.
Posted Image

#218 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

and of course the new David Bowie is available to stream or download as well.

today is a good day: first day of a long weekend with nothing to do, nowhere to be, and a bunch of new music to listen to.
Posted Image

#219 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Simon Collins' band, Sound of Contact, has finally updated their website with news. Previously, it was a blank "coming soon" page:

http://www.soundofcontact.com/news/

Sound of Contact LIVE in Montreal March 24 Opening for Marillion

Posted on February 22, 2013by sound-admin

Sound of Contact will be opening for Marillion at the Marillion Weekend event in Montreal on March 24th, 2013. Tickets are still available! Be the first to hear songs from the new album Dimensionaut LIVE before it’s released!
http://www.marillion...nts.htm#support

The touring line up of the band includes Simon Collins on vocals and drums, Dave Kerzner on keyboards and vocals, Matt Dorsey on bass and vocals with the addition of John Wesley (Fish, Porcupine Tree) on guitar and vocals, and Jonathan Schang (District 97) on drums and additional keys.

At least we know the album is making progress and should be released soon. It'll be exciting to hear what Phil's son can do. The album has a connection to Vancouver as well. Simon is from Vancouver, and the album was recorded here:

In 2010, Simon, Dave, Matt and Kelly went to record at Greenhouse Studios in Vancouver in different trio combinations with engineer Chris Holmes. The music and story of “Dimensionaut” was born.

Joining the team to mix the album was veteran engineer Nick Davis (Genesis, XTC, It Bites) who came from England to Canada to mix at The Warehouse in Vancouver. The album was mastered by Gavin Lurssen and Rueben Cohen of Lurssen Mastering.

Not sure what to expect, but looking forward to it.

Edited by WeatherWise, 01 March 2013 - 01:52 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#220 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

recommend some good canadian albums?
Posted Image

#221 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

telstar drugs - s/t

from calgary i think, they remind me of deerhunter or women. one of my favourite guitar rock albums of the last couple years.

Posted Image

#222 The Manatee King

The Manatee King

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

After listening to Youth Lagoon's Wondrous Bughouse a few times now, I'm really digging it. At first, I thought it was good but didn't think it compared to The Year of Hibernation. I have definitely changed my mind now though. Wish I could comment more about the individual songs but I've only listened to it without simultaneously looking at the track listing.

Going to have to check out mac demarco now since this is the second time I've heard (seen?) somebody rave about him.

#223 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

woah, that Telstar Drugs album is free on their Bandcamp page, this is awesome!

also going to check out the new YL
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#224 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

After listening to Youth Lagoon's Wondrous Bughouse a few times now, I'm really digging it. At first, I thought it was good but didn't think it compared to The Year of Hibernation. I have definitely changed my mind now though. Wish I could comment more about the individual songs but I've only listened to it without simultaneously looking at the track listing.

Going to have to check out mac demarco now since this is the second time I've heard (seen?) somebody rave about him.

i recommend giving the demarco album a couple listens. maybe it's just me, but i listened to it once and couldn't get behind it at all. deleted it, then for some reason just re-downloaded it the other day, and now i can't stop listening to it

now it's got me on this canadian music kick. can't believe how many solid musicians are coming from canada these days, after what seems like decades of mediocrity
Posted Image

#225 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

speaking of mac demarco, he's opening for phoenix for a few shows at least

and phoenix's album just leaked, for those who are fans
Posted Image

#226 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

woah, that Telstar Drugs album is free on their Bandcamp page, this is awesome!

also going to check out the new YL

yeah, that's the only reason i ever checked it out haha.

weirdcanada.com/ usually has interesting canadian lo-fi/punk stuff.

Posted Image

#227 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

been playing in and going to a lot of shows in Vancouver lately, there are some really great bands.

these guys- http://thedeadghosts.bandcamp.com/

these guys- http://villagevillage.bandcamp.com/ (that nowhere song is too good)

these guys- http://apolloghosts....ings-sunrise-lp

and loads of other stuff.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#228 The Manatee King

The Manatee King

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

For some reason I didn't enjoy the one Mac DeMarco song , Ode to Viceroy, I heard back in December. As soon as Glassjaw said something about the summer vibes though, something clicked in my head and I loved it when I went back for another listen. I really don't understand how that works, but I won't complain. That guitar work just puts me in a good mood.

#229 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

new Smith Westerns album announced. FINALLY!

listened to Dye it Blonde again last night and loved it. silly lyrics at time, but each song has like 4 melodies I love, so I can't complain

new song "Varsity" is pretty good too. super excited.
Posted Image

#230 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

For some reason I didn't enjoy the one Mac DeMarco song , Ode to Viceroy, I heard back in December. As soon as Glassjaw said something about the summer vibes though, something clicked in my head and I loved it when I went back for another listen. I really don't understand how that works, but I won't complain. That guitar work just puts me in a good mood.

that's totally how i felt.

the last 30 seconds or so of Ode to Viceroy are pure joy
Posted Image

#231 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

New Daft Punk coming this year!

Edited by The Hornet, 05 March 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Posted Image

#232 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

not crazy about the new David Bowie, after 2 listens. 2, maybe 3, really good songs, and a bunch that i'm largely indifferent towards. hopefully it's a grower.
Posted Image

#233 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

new vampire weekend single get pumped!

i've only listened to it once so far. its alright, lacks most of the fun that made their first album so great but its still a good tune.

Posted Image

#234 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm almost finished streaming the new Strokes album and it's pretty much all crap. Same level as Angles for me, it has 2-4 good songs but the rest wouldn't even get noticed for any reason if it didn't have the Strokes name on it. I've pretty much completely given up on the hope they will release anything even close to as good as Is This It again........ Julian stop singing in falsetto FFS!! This is just a big crapty sack of disappointment, this sucks i'm actually sad. Why do I keep getting my hopes up over and over again for these guys? They're like a really crapty boyfriend with a chick that just won't give up on him :(((

Edited by ashbury, 20 March 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#235 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

yeah, new strokes is dumb.

i really like the two new VW songs for sure.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#236 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

yeah i listened to about 30 seconds of their first single and decided i wasn't going to bother with the new album. their honestly just not the same band anymore

Posted Image

#237 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

sometimes i read through the Drowned in Sound forums, and many of them were sold on the new Strokes album. still can't be bothered myself, though.

not a whole lot to be excited about right now
Posted Image

#238 GrainWetzky

GrainWetzky

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

This year is good so far, we're still in March and we have "new classics". I really like new Nick Cave album and The Next Day by David Bowie. I am a big Bowie fan, but I was afraid that by not releasing anything in almost a decade, he'd be mediocre at best. I'm glad that I was wrong. Sure, it's not as good as some of his old stuff like Scary Monsters or Station to Station, but it's still much better than most of today's production.

Another albums I've got the chance to listen to this year:
Low - The Invisible Way
This one is actually quite good, their last album c'mon was a bit of letdown for me, so I am glad that they made up their reputation. :D

Woodkid - The Golden Way
I anticipated that this album could be a good one, with slightly different sound than what is offered even in the alternative radios, but the structure of songs are way too similar, as well as the arrangements (overuse of strings, brass and heavy percussions). It should have been at least a bit more minimalistic like Baltimore Fireflies or Brooklyn, but no, every song tries to sound like his hit Iron...

For progressive rock/metal enthusiasts it's a pretty good year too. New album by Polish band Riverside (I especially recommend their 2007 album Rapid Eye Movement) has the atmosphere a bit like Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, but the music is great and original, although a bit softer than before (that's not a problem).

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Now this is tough one. I didn't like his previous solo album. I felt that it was dull for me. But this one is interesting although it's nothing that you'd like on the first spin. It's a difficult music, but also a grower. Especially the title song grew on me:

Apart from that I am looking forward to new album by Tricky and I've got Daughter debut (she had two great EPs in last few years), but I haven't got a chance to listen to it.

#239 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

This year is good so far, we're still in March and we have "new classics". I really like new Nick Cave album and The Next Day by David Bowie. I am a big Bowie fan, but I was afraid that by not releasing anything in almost a decade, he'd be mediocre at best. I'm glad that I was wrong. Sure, it's not as good as some of his old stuff like Scary Monsters or Station to Station, but it's still much better than most of today's production.

Another albums I've got the chance to listen to this year:
Low - The Invisible Way
This one is actually quite good, their last album c'mon was a bit of letdown for me, so I am glad that they made up their reputation. :D

Woodkid - The Golden Way
I anticipated that this album could be a good one, with slightly different sound than what is offered even in the alternative radios, but the structure of songs are way too similar, as well as the arrangements (overuse of strings, brass and heavy percussions). It should have been at least a bit more minimalistic like Baltimore Fireflies or Brooklyn, but no, every song tries to sound like his hit Iron...

For progressive rock/metal enthusiasts it's a pretty good year too. New album by Polish band Riverside (I especially recommend their 2007 album Rapid Eye Movement) has the atmosphere a bit like Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet, but the music is great and original, although a bit softer than before (that's not a problem).

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Now this is tough one. I didn't like his previous solo album. I felt that it was dull for me. But this one is interesting although it's nothing that you'd like on the first spin. It's a difficult music, but also a grower. Especially the title song grew on me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4

Apart from that I am looking forward to new album by Tricky and I've got Daughter debut (she had two great EPs in last few years), but I haven't got a chance to listen to it.

I really like "The Raven That Refused To Sing", Grain. What a gorgeous song. I wonder, though, if I would have liked it as much without the incredible video. I honestly felt tears coming, a couple of times, during the video. I thought 8 minutes was going to be a long haul, but, the music comes at you in waves and crescendos... the dynamics are brilliant and I love the arrangement.

New Bowie is good. I need to listen to it more. I hope it grows on me.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#240 ~~~Fin~~~

~~~Fin~~~

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

guys should try out Woodkid. New artist from France, English album out this week!

Siggy by Tenacious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.