The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Disappointing week in music for me. Not a fan really at all of Reflektor and not huge on the new Cut Copy album.

Yah yah, I get it. Reflektor's amazing because it's Arcade Fire......

New Cut Copy? Gotta check it out.

Zonoscope got a lot of spins on my iPod, and Need You Now was one of my favourite songs of that year.

But I gotta say, is there a better song with a worse video from the last few years???

New Cut Copy? Gotta check it out.

Zonoscope got a lot of spins on my iPod, and Need You Now was one of my favourite songs of that year.

But I gotta say, is there a better song with a worse video from the last few years???

Yah, I'm a huge fan of Cut Copy, and this new album is just meh. However, "Free Your Mind" the song is great. Need You Now video is friggin hilarious!! Haha totally forgot about that!

And cool to new Broken Bells!! I'm in!

D-money, what're your thoughts on Arcade Fire release?

also, super happy that Broken Bells announced their new album. I didn't listen to their debut until fairly recently and really enjoyed it. Mercer is a talented guy.

Haven't got around to it, but will soon.

It's funny, I wasn't a fan of Broken Bells, or the last Shins album - even though I'm a big fan of The Shins' previous work. Whereas past Shins stuff didn't seem to move you at all, but you really like the aforementioned two albums.

Other than Simple Song (which is simply amazing - one of my favourite songs ever), those albums didn't have anything that I found compared favourably (IMO) to stuff like...

Those songs are interesting, full of surprises, and most of all: FUN. Mercer's new stuff seems kind of lifeless and methodical to me.

Yah, I'm a huge fan of Cut Copy, and this new album is just meh. However, "Free Your Mind" the song is great. Need You Now video is friggin hilarious!! Haha totally forgot about that!

And cool to new Broken Bells!! I'm in!

I'm not sure if the Need You Now video is in the so bad it's good category, or in the so bad it's past good and all the way back to bad one...

But either way, it IS hilarious!

Haven't got around to it, but will soon.

It's funny, I wasn't a fan of Broken Bells, or the last Shins album - even though I'm a big fan of The Shins' previous work. Whereas past Shins stuff didn't seem to move you at all, but you really like the aforementioned two albums.

Other than Simple Song (which is simply amazing - one of my favourite songs ever), those albums didn't have anything that I found compared favourably (IMO) to stuff like...

Those songs are interesting, full of surprises, and most of all: FUN. Mercer's new stuff seems kind of lifeless and methodical to me.

I'm really surprised! When have you last heard Broken Bells? I think there's some seriously great material in there. I demand you give it a re-listen. Took a while for me to really get into, but has since turned to easily my second favourite album released by Mercer (first, obviously, being Oh, Inverted World). But coooome on, D-money!! I'm listening to it now as I type this, and it's just groovin my world. (that said, the EP they released was absolutely boring)

And yeah, that new album from The Shins also grew on me. But in my defense, I have to add that it also includes 3 or 4 of my least favourite songs by the band. I just think The Rifle's Spiral, Simple Song, Port of Morrow (title track) are great, great songs. Simple Song and Port of Morrow are easily two of my favourites of the band, ever. It also didn't help that I saw them perform shortly after the album was released, and I thought the best songs in that performance were by and large the new ones. Maybe that helped?

My issue with Chutes Too Narrow and Wincing the Night Away is more or less my complaint for most Mercer music: I just don't enjoy the songs that I don't love. I know Wincing has a few great, great songs. So does Chutes... but I am totally indifferent (if not annoyed by) the other ones. I dunno. I agree that the songs you posted are good, too. But overall.. not my favourite.

And equally surprising for me is how much I love the new MGMT.

never been a big fan of theirs, but I think this new stuff is just great. Lots of people and critics are bashing it though. So many of those critics are attacking it for its lack of "fun," and saying it's all self-conscious indulgence to weed out the fans or something. I don't know, the reviews just seem so cynical and presumptuous. I think the new music is brilliant.

And equally surprising for me is how much I love the new MGMT.

never been a big fan of theirs, but I think this new stuff is just great. Lots of people and critics are bashing it though. So many of those critics are attacking it for its lack of "fun," and saying it's all self-conscious indulgence to weed out the fans or something. I don't know, the reviews just seem so cynical and presumptuous. I think the new music is brilliant.

I tuned out this band after their first record, which I thought was pretty good. Their second was supposed to be a wreck, but I've heard good things about the new one. What's it like?

I tuned out this band after their first record, which I thought was pretty good. Their second was supposed to be a wreck, but I've heard good things about the new one. What's it like?

you've heard GOOD things about the new one? i haven't heard much praise at all, and most people i know liked the second one--sort of. I haven't even heard Congradulations, to be honest.

I have no idea how to describe the new one. Sounds like the new Flaming Lips record quite a bit. So... maybe 2013-era Flaming Lips meets 2009 era Animal Collective? haha, I have no idea how to describe it.

you've heard GOOD things about the new one? i haven't heard much praise at all, and most people i know liked the second one--sort of. I haven't even heard Congradulations, to be honest.

I have no idea how to describe the new one. Sounds like the new Flaming Lips record quite a bit. So... maybe 2013-era Flaming Lips meets 2009 era Animal Collective? haha, I have no idea how to describe it.

Come to think of it, I haven't even read a review of the new one. A few friends have brought it up, though. Definitely heard a Flaming Lips comparison. Flaming Lips meets Animal Collective not so much. Sounds interesting haha.

Picked up two albums last weekend and have been alternating listening to them all week, they're both great.

Coco Rosie - Tales of a Grass Widow - 9/10 As good as anything they've done. Guess they're not for everybody, but I love their blend of folk/opera/electronica/whatever it's called.

RJD2 - More Is Than Isn't - 8.5/10 Best album since Deadringer a decade+ ago. Seems to have finally found the balance between his older dusty hip hop sound and the indie rock-ish stuff he was experimenting with a few yrs ago.

Picked up two albums last weekend and have been alternating listening to them all week, they're both great.

Coco Rosie - Tales of a Grass Widow - 9/10 As good as anything they've done. Guess they're not for everybody, but I love their blend of folk/opera/electronica/whatever it's called.

RJD2 - More Is Than Isn't - 8.5/10 Best album since Deadringer a decade+ ago. Seems to have finally found the balance between his older dusty hip hop sound and the indie rock-ish stuff he was experimenting with a few yrs ago.

Ditto on the rjd2. Definitely his best release since dead ringer. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

New cage is out. Decent album, a few really good tracks mixed with a few misses. Overall one of his better recent albums as well,

I only made it a few songs into the new Arcade fire...I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

But I was busy, and couldn't focus much on it. Will try again later.

Anyone check out Forest Swords? I DL'd it, but haven't listened yet.

Don't you really like Bowie, LCD and Arcade Fire? That new album is literally all 3 mixed together...

Archived