The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NRA calls for an armed police officer at every US school

-Vintage Canuck-

The concerning issue is that, a gunmen would go to a school to pull a trigger and wouldn't care too much about who he/she shoots while the armed guard has to find the line of sight. It does make the situation very dangerous. The point i'm trying to make is that the people from the other side would say guns can be used for self defence and we should arm good people with guns. But its never that simplistic.

The one example i can think of is the shooting of the democratic senator(Arizona i believe). Apparently there were a couple of people in the crowd with handguns but couldn't fire back because of the chaos that followed.

Give all the kids guns so they can fend for themselves. Duh.

Install booby traps all over the school and teach only the kids and teachers how to bypass them.

Install a minefield on the path leading up to the school doors, again teach only the kids and teachers how to avoid being exploded.

Can we please make sure that we spend more money on weapons to protect our children? We must secure their future.

People want to equip teachers with guns? Are those teachers also going to be equipped with tactical bullet proof gear from head-to-toe just like the mass murderers in many of these shootings? Because if not, I can't see the staff being too effective against assailants covered in armour. Under pressure, moving target, not much to shoot at....I dunno....that would be a tough shot for marine, let alone a school teacher.

Someone who takes a center mass magazine dump is going to be badly hurt (as in broken ribs etc) by sheer impact even if the bullets all strike the limited coverage provided by the armor and the armor doesn't fail.

Its possible that one of the guys might get their hands on military grade armor with better coverage, where they could strug off pistol bullets, but we haven't seen that yet aside from the non school shooting North Hollywood bank robbers in 1997.

You make a good point but I have a hard time believing that one of these psychos is going to just allow you to empty a clip on him....and that all(or even the majority) of those rounds even hit him as he undoubtably would be scrambling for cover and/or shooting back. And other than a kill shot(possible but not probable), adrenaline alone could keep the gunman up and killing people for minutes afterwards. Not much chance for the teacher after that.

Fact-Checking the NRA Press Conference

By Dashiell Bennett | The Atlantic WireFri, Dec 21, 2012

http://news.yahoo.com/fact-checking-nra-press-conference-185542748.html

The proposals and opinions offered by the National Rifle Association's Wayne LaPierre at a press conference Friday have been roundly criticized by gun controlopponents already, but is he also wrong about the bare facts? While many of the gun lobby's latest claims about armed security are debatable, and LaPierre's pop-culture references — Mortal Kombat? American Psycho? — are out-of-date enough to be easily debunked, there were a handful of actual factual assertions in his speech today that we decided to double check just to see if the NRA's talking points match up with reality. Here's what we found on some of key statements.

"Killers, robbers, rapists and drug gang members who have spread like cancer in every community in this country. Meanwhile, federal gun prosecutions have decreased by 40% — to the lowest levels in a decade.

So now, due to a declining willingness to prosecute dangerous criminals, violent crime is
increasing
again for the first time in 19 years!"

It's true that the Bureau of Justice Statistics reported an increase in violent crime in 2011 (from record lows the year before), but that increase was attributed almost entirely to a rise in simple assaults: which specifically means no weapon was used. But according the FBI, "all four of the violent crime offense categories — murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault — declined nationwide when compared with data from 2010." Different areas of the country have seen different experiences, but on the whole, the most violent offense continue to decline.

RELATED: The NRA vs. Really Old Video Games: Important Updates for Wayne LaPierre

It's also true that federal prosecutions of gun crimes are down after a big uptickduring the middle of the Bush administration. However, since it would make sense of a decline in prosecutions to also match a decline in violent crimes to prosecute, we'll let experts argue over whether fewer charges are brought because they aren't needed or we aren't trying.

"How can we possibly even
guess
how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"

To our knowledge, no one — not even the NRA — has proposed a national database of the mentally ill. Since similar databases of sex offenders have done little to protect children from sex crimes, that seems unlikely to help. Also, few organizations have done more than the NRA to block the registration of anything, as they work vigorously to defeat gun registration databases wherever they find them.

RELATED: The NRA's Social Media Silence Isn't Working

Most recently, they have called for the repeal of Michigan's state-wide pistol registry, a law that State Police credit for solving a recent shooting spree that targeted drives on the busy I-96 corridor. However, they do maintain a National Registry of Places to Shoot.

"Worse, they perpetuate the dangerous notion that
one more gun ban
— or one more law imposed on peaceful, lawful people — will protect us where 20,000 others have failed!"

It is an oft-repeated talking point that there are 20,000 federal, state, and local gun control laws currently on the books. A 2003 study from the Brooking Institution challenged that unsourced statistic, which has apparently been floating around since the 1960s. They pegged the number of statewide gun control laws at about 300 [PDF], adding that "even a very liberal interpretation of what should count as a separate law would leave the total well short of 20,000."

"But do know this President
zeroed out
school emergency planning grants in
last year's
budget, and scrapped "Secure Our Schools"
policing
grants in
next year's
budget."

This is also true, but also quite bold of LaPierre to bring up, since he began his speech by attacking "gun-free school zones" and ignored the record of the NRA efforts on community policing. In the 1994 crime bill that included the original assault weapons ban, Bill Clinton included a new program called "Community Oriented Policing Services" that meant to add 100,000 new police officers to our streets (which LaPierre is essentially now proposing by putting cops in every school.) The NRA opposed that bill in 1994 and later mocked the COPS program for failing to meet its promise. Now he's complaining about the loss of "Secure Our Schools" grants. They were administered by COPS.

We need to have
every single school in America
immediately deploy a protection program proven to work — and by that I mean
armed security

Mother Jones has made a persuasive case that arming civilians does little to stop mass shooters, and even cops can't stop every shooting. Columbine High School had an armed security officer on campus at the time of the 1999 shooting that killed 13 people. He even exchanged gunfire with one of the killers. Neither one of them was hit.

Those are the facts, as best we could amass them quickly. Whether some talking points came from Facebook, well, that's another story.

I wish they wouldn't even report on these NRA recommendations. All they are doing is legitimizing these so-called ideas.

Any "solution" that adds to the number of weapons, rather than reducing that number, is simply a smokescreen designed to deflect attention away from the real answer, (which is something that the NRA is deathly afraid of):

Less guns. Tougher restrictions on their sale and the outright ban of certain types of weapons and the ammunition they use.

zaibatsu.................

You've laid out your normal rhetoric here, zaibatsu, but please explain the above.

You say it isn't the guns and gun culture that is responsible for Yanks killing Yanks yet you have failed to explain what is.

I think after reading your denial of everybody else's opinion I think it's only fair you actually tell us WTF is wrong with America.

GO.

I find it hard to agree with any gun enthusiasts arguments, because they all seem to come from a place of selfishness.

They care more about their own ability to own guns than they do about the safety of the general public. That has seemed pretty apparent from listening to most of them.

I find it hard to agree with any gun enthusiasts arguments, because they all seem to come from a place of selfishness.

They care more about their own ability to own guns than they do about the safety of the general public. That has seemed pretty apparent from listening to most of them.

Archived