The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A UBC Student’s Touching Story Of Self-Discovery And Coming Out – Coming To Terms With Being Gay

mr.x

He was bullied relentlessly for being gay in a hostile high-school environment, to the point that he tried to commit suicide twice. But as the saying goes, “it gets better.” It always does. This beautiful and inspirational story of one’s struggle to come out and accept his homosexual identity will move you to tears.

A very powerful, worthy must-read for everyone: https://www.facebook...222319324569761

You know, if you remove the word "gay" from that--sniffle--beautifully crafted essay, and replace it with some other word to signify an oppressed group or minority in a larger (and perceived hostile) majority of "others" (i.e. muslim in north america, christian in certain middle east countries, homosexual, tranny, dark skinned, albino, blah blah blah), you could literally construct the exact same story that i'm sure countless people experience day in, day out, using this author's formula and example set. it's weird to me that the author seems self conscious about being selfish, yet this story is just flogging the pretense of self reflexivity under the of guise of tangled cliche that nobody (other than a cynic or homophobe) could disagree with. a love letter to the converted: don't worry guys, here's my story. same as the old story.

THIS JUST IN: high school can be tough, and the realization that we are somehow individuals but not very unique is a very slow burn.

You know, if you remove the word "gay" from that--sniffle--beautifully crafted essay, and replace it with some other word to signify an oppressed group or minority in a larger (and perceived hostile) majority of "others" (i.e. muslim in north america, christian in certain middle east countries, homosexual, tranny, dark skinned, albino, blah blah blah), you could literally construct the exact same story that i'm sure countless people experience day in, day out, using this author's formula and example set. it's weird to me that the author seems self conscious about being selfish, yet this story is just flogging the pretense of self reflexivity under the of guise of tangled cliche that nobody (other than a cynic or homophobe) could disagree with. a love letter to the converted: don't worry guys, here's my story. same as the old story.

THIS JUST IN: high school can be tough, and the realization that we are somehow individuals but not very unique is a very slow burn.

Gay suicide is a worldwide epidemic when you consider the fact that teenagers and young adults who identify themselves as homosexual are five times more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual counterparts. What is even more troubling is that attempts by gay and lesbian youth and young adults account for 30% of all completed suicides. These numbers are beyond disturbing when you consider that the gay population, according to various studies, accounts for just between 3 to 10% of the entire general population, yet it takes in a significantly larger proportion of the total suicide count.

For you to say this isn't authentic or that the young gays are more troubled than their counterparts is concerning, even insulting.

Well said .. why am I not surprised that those doing the "pissing" are those who accuse folks of always looking at the "negative and tragic" in a story .. there accuracy seems to be off .. I suggest they consider sitting down to"piss" in the future .. that way they can avoid some of the "blowback" .. :rolleyes:

I don't discount that the guy had a hard time.

However considering this is a city where gay culture is almost mainstream, and that he probably had a lot of alternative options coming from what's almost certain to be a wealthy Westside family, all I can say is that he is appearantly neither a good decision maker nor able to handle adversity very well.

I don't discount that the guy had a hard time.

However considering this is a city where gay culture is almost mainstream, and that he probably had a lot of alternative options coming from what's almost certain to be a wealthy Westside family, all I can say is that he is appearantly neither a good decision maker nor able to handle adversity very well.

He's lucky to be living in a time and place where it's alright to be gay. Many before him have had to stay in the closet forever. It's those unheard stories that would be more 'touching', if we ever heard them.

Meanwhile, people are bullied in highschool for being gay everyday, whether they are or not, except now it's upgraded to cyberbullying.

I find that to be intolerable. Even though our society is more open than ever, it's clear that we have a long way to go.

People are shadowing others with a personal agenda that appears to be less about the topic at hand than it is about taking shots at one another. It's two sided, yes, but it needs to stop. There is an ignore button and I suggest it is used (or the warning button will be).

This is applicable:

They are entitled to their own opinion of the article..They do not have to find the article "touching". That's what a forum is for, discussion. Not being conformed to have a certain opinion because if they don't share your opinion they're obnoxious!!!

Archived