The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fathers Stand Guard Outside Kids' Schools After Newtown Shooting

Heretic

I can't speak for anyone else, but this has long been a cause of mine.

The fact is, I hate guns. I understand people who hunt needing rifles and target shooters needing their pistols, but other than that, I don't believe anyone needs a gun. It absolutely baffles me why some people can't grasp the concept of more guns equals more shootings. I also can't figure out why some people feel the need to cling to the "right" to own assault weapons or handguns with removable ammo clips.

Ever since Columbine, I feel that it's incumbent upon me to remind those people who have their eyes closed, ears plugged and are humming "God Bless America" that I told them this would happen.

And you know what? If this latest bit of madness doesn't change the Americans' skewed version of reality, it's going to happen again. Quote me on it.

So I understand how you might be tired of seeing these types of threads, but myself, I'll never get tired of criticizing the gun lobby and it's rhetoric. Not until something changes.

Fair enough. You've got a pony in this race, so it makes sense why you care. I think you're an exception, though, and not the CDC rule. Some posters, if not most, choose to rear their ugly heads when given the opportunity to blabber on about tragedy (seemingly) for entertainment value, not "legitimate" care. I say "seemingly" because--obviously--I don't know if it's true, but it seems the most likely explanation for their attitudes as they swing from horror-to-horror, like Tarzan riding his vines: hammer fisted, and monkey-minded

I agree completely with what you say (if you notice, increasing amounts of people joke about tragedies now because of how often tragedy after tragedy is discussed and the fact that people don't want to sit there and mourn in every other discussion that comes across OT) but no one is going to listen to your criticism -- people on the forum aren't very introspective.

The best thing to do is either post less in general or post more in the type of topics (and create new topics) you wish to see more of.

It turns out Mr. Pusley embellished a tad about his time in the service.

HUGHSON, Calif. -- A former Marine applauded for voluntarily guarding a central California elementary school apparently misrepresented his service history, U.S. Marine Corps officials said Thursday.

Craig Pusley showed up for a second day of guard duty Thursday at Hughson Elementary School, this time in civilian clothes after wearing military fatigues the day before.

He was gone by midmorning, after Unified School District Superintendent Brian Beck discovered discrepancies about Pusley's military service and asked him to leave.

A day earlier, Pusley, 25, told The Modesto Bee he was a sergeant in the Marine Reserve and had deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Pusley said he was unemployed and using his reservist pay to support his wife and 3-year-old child.

Capt. Gregory A. Wolf, a Marines spokesman, told The Associated Press on Thursday that Pusley never served overseas and was discharged in 2008 as a private after serving less than a year at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego. He also is not a reservist.

Archived