The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

road rage thread.

I was driving to work down the #1 highway one day when I came across a flatbed in the left lane beside a wide load trailer, both going about 50.

I stayed about 6 or 7 car lengths behind the flatbed and flicked my high beams to signal I wanted to pass. There were no other vehicles within sight in front of and behind me.

Instead the flatbed slows right down, to a crawl at times, and starts slamming on his brakes and weaving in front of me, to prevent me from passing. This continues for a few minutes until I finally manage to pass him dangerously and continued on my way.

A few minutes later down the road, I glance into my rearview to find the flatbed zooming up like he's going to ram me, if I didn't accelerate in time I'm sure he would have.

I prevent him passing and getting too close until finally I have enough, and toss a sparkplug out my window when he was directly behind me which badly cracks his windshield.

He didn't like that much and I figured he'd try to follow me on my exit and all the way to my work if he could, but fortunately for him he didn't.

I once saw a near crash and the two drivers went at it. The guy who started the whole thing was pushed onto the other guys window as he tried to pacify him, however the guy with his face on the window went all crazy and bit off the car antenna and tried to scatch the car with his teeth.

Speed limits are there for a reason, and it is only when you are in a seroius accident that you realize why. You speed, you are putting your life and others at risk.

One summer drive here in PG I saw (in the span of about 20 minutes):

- numerous people speeding 10 -- 20 km or more above the speed limit, and/or talking/texting on cell phones.

- cyclists without helmets, riding on the wrong side of the road, riding on the sidewalk, or all them at once

- a mother with children in tow jay-walking across a busy street.

ALL OF THESE ACTIVITIES lead to higher ICBC rates for us "good" drivers. Which means us good drivers help pay for these morons.

It's obvious that the current fines/ insurance structure doesn't make these morons pay enough.

This is my solution:

1)Fines / surcharges on ICBC rates should go up big time.

2)Get a major traffic fine ( +20 km over, failure to stop, cell phone crap) you also get 1 year probation. Get another you lose your license for 30 days and more probation. Get another and you lose it for a year, plus more probation. Again and its 5.

3) major at fault accidents (cause greater than the mean ICBC claim value) and a similar path is taken as in # 2

4) regular eye and health exams FOR ALL DRIVERS. It ammazes me that only professional drivers ( Class 1,2,3,4 in BC) have to get regular eye and health exams but 50 year old pops doesn't.

Excessive speeding may put other people's lives at risk but not so much normal everyday speeding (up to 20kms over the limit).

You say speed limits are there for a reason. For the most part I believe speed limits are kept artificially low so it is easier for cops to issue tickets and generate revenue for the government, that's one reason. You think the government doesn't want people to commit traffic violations? Of course they do, it is a total cash cow.

Personally their game is one that I dont put up with. I have gotten 6 speeding tickets in my life (roughly 14 years driving), and I've only ever paid for one of them. The cop had me red-handed and I had no defense in court, most of the time however the cops simply dont show up and you get away totally clean.

My wife got a DUI in 2011 and a violation ticket with 3 offenses on it. Granted, what she did wasn't right but the monetary penalties and everything else included would have cost us in the neighborhood of about 6K. I filed an appeal to the DUI which in itself cost $100, then I took the police report to a lawyer, he took a quick look at it and told me that we had a "winner". The cop excluded crucial info about the breathalyzer he used (serial #, calibration date, etc.) therefore it's reading couldn't be deemed reliable and she got off the hook. This was decided by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles.

We also disputed the ticket in court. After some research of the Motor Vehicle Act on the internet, I was able to poke a bunch of holes in the charges that were laid out. I, acting as her agent in court, went toe to toe with the cop and made him look like an idiot. The judge actually told him " you should do your homework before coming to court next time". Needless to say, the judgement went in our favor except for the most minor offense which was only a $109 fine.

I guess my point is that as long as you've learned a lesson when you've done something bad on the road, there's no need for heavy monetary penalties. There is always a decent chance that you can weasel out of it and not give the government more money than they are already taking from you on a daily basis.

By the way Destroyerofworlds, I think your idea for traffic penalties is completely bogus, you should get a job with ICBC if you dont already have one. I do however agree that people who text while driving should be punished harshly, that behavior is very dangerous.

I had a guy punch me in the face through the passenger window once. We were driving back from the beach and he thought we cut him off on the highway, so he started harassing us....kept switching lanes in front of us, then hitting the brakes. One of the times, we couldn't brake in time to stop and we hit him. It was on. He came flying out of his car and grabbed the driver, ripping him out of the truck. They fought. In the meantime, the guy's wife had also jumped out and was at the passenger window, yapping, yelling, etc. at the guy beside me in the passenger seat (I'd been seated in the middle of the cab). She reached in and grabbed my long hair and pulled it. When I fought back to get free, her husband (who was going back to his car because another car was pulling over to intervene) ran over and took a swing at me through the window. I ended up with a broken nose and a nice shiner. He ended up in court, charged with assault. :)

All because we changed lanes in front of him as he was changing into the same lane behind us.

I didn't know that, is this a new thing?

Regardless, if it's a cop's day off or he/she was working the night shift, or whatever, there is always a chance they wont show up. You cant really lose any more by trying to dispute and the penalty points alone are very much worth trying to avoid. Also, if you end up getting a ticket that you dont want to pay (for me that's all of them), study the ticket and check out the Motor Vehicle Act online. There is a decent chance that the issuing officer wrote down the offence and or the MVA section of the offence incorrectly. If this is the case and you do have to defend yourself in court, these type of errors pretty much guarantee a judgement in your favor.

Interestingly, if you happen to get nailed in a speed trap, the radar gun operator and the issuing officer (assuming they are not one and the same) have to be present in court together for the charges to go through. Good chance that one of them wouldn't make it.

These are just a couple of tips for the people like myself who dont appreciate paying exorbitant amounts of money and having our driving records tarnished for what was probably just a momentary lapse in judgement, if that.

In BC it is being proposed that there will be no more court dates to contest a speeding ticket. It will be done by telephone but not before a judge but rather the BC Superiintedent of Motor Vehicles without the need for the police officer to participate.

In the next few years, you may be able to fight traffic tickets over the phone. But the BC Civil Liberties Association is concerned you will be losing your day in court.

When you contest it by phone, the police officer won’t have to be there and there’s no judge. Michael Vonn with the BCCLA explains you’re dealing with the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. “They’re the body who’s dealing with the ticketing process, and they’re now the decision-makers as well. That’s very troubling.”

“You don’t get to question them, you don’t get to challenge their sworn evidence in any fashion. How does that constitute an effective process? It’s a mystery to us,” she tells us.

The government says the move will relieve 34 to 68 enforcement officers from attending traffic court. It says those positions have a combined value of $8 to $11 million per year. The province claims this will help reduce court backlogs. Vonn doesn’t think this is the solution.

“Freeing up court resources by depriving people who’ve been accused of a violation of their due process rights is simply not the way we go about achieving justice,” she argues.

Another change is electronic tickets, although we don’t yet know how that would work. The province also calls for discounted penalties for drivers who pay undisputed tickets within 30 days.

If the bill is passed, it would be implemented by 2014.

http://www.news1130....putes-by-phone/

Excessive speeding may put other people's lives at risk but not so much normal everyday speeding (up to 20kms over the limit).

You say speed limits are there for a reason. For the most part I believe speed limits are kept artificially low so it is easier for cops to issue tickets and generate revenue for the government, that's one reason. You think the government doesn't want people to commit traffic violations? Of course they do, it is a total cash cow.

Personally their game is one that I dont put up with. I have gotten 6 speeding tickets in my life (roughly 14 years driving), and I've only ever paid for one of them. The cop had me red-handed and I had no defense in court, most of the time however the cops simply dont show up and you get away totally clean.

My wife got a DUI in 2011 and a violation ticket with 3 offenses on it. Granted, what she did wasn't right but the monetary penalties and everything else included would have cost us in the neighborhood of about 6K. I filed an appeal to the DUI which in itself cost $100, then I took the police report to a lawyer, he took a quick look at it and told me that we had a "winner". The cop excluded crucial info about the breathalyzer he used (serial #, calibration date, etc.) therefore it's reading couldn't be deemed reliable and she got off the hook. This was decided by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles.

We also disputed the ticket in court. After some research of the Motor Vehicle Act on the internet, I was able to poke a bunch of holes in the charges that were laid out. I, acting as her agent in court, went toe to toe with the cop and made him look like an idiot. The judge actually told him " you should do your homework before coming to court next time". Needless to say, the judgement went in our favor except for the most minor offense which was only a $109 fine.

I guess my point is that as long as you've learned a lesson when you've done something bad on the road, there's no need for heavy monetary penalties. There is always a decent chance that you can weasel out of it and not give the government more money than they are already taking from you on a daily basis.

By the way Destroyerofworlds, I think your idea for traffic penalties is completely bogus, you should get a job with ICBC if you dont already have one. I do however agree that people who text while driving should be punished harshly, that behavior is very dangerous.

I think it was last year in Surrey, some guy got out of his car and started yelling at another driver. The other guy pulled a gun and shot him dead.

Next time you feel agitated and are thinking about doing something stupid stop and think. The other guy might be stupider than you. Actually maybe not cus the other guy will still be alive.

Archived