80 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,374 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

The hits just keep on coming.....sad...sad...sad...

A man fatally shot a woman decorating for a children's Christmas party at a tiny church hall and killed two men elsewhere in a rural central Pennsylvania township Friday before he was fatally shot in a gunfight with state troopers.

The shootings began in Frankstown Township at about 9 a.m. and investigators were processing five crime scenes within about a 1.5-mile radius, authorities said at a news briefing Friday afternoon. The troopers were responding to a 911 call of a shooting in the township when they heard calls reporting at least one other shooting elsewhere, state police spokeswoman Maria Finn said.

http://www.theglobea...article6638511/

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#2 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Why don't we guess at just how mentally unstable this guy was when he committed this crime and then wait to hear how many CDCers want to blame this on the gun.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#3 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,761 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Alright, there are 12,000 gun-related homicides in the US every year. Did we need a thread for every one?

The Connecticut massacre has obviously made us all aware of the gun problem in the US.

But try and take all those guns away.
Posted Image

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Easy solution; arm the women at Christmas parties and priests at the church.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#5 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

That, and everyone gets bulletproof body vests built under their own skin.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#6 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

AND have an armed police officer at every church in America?

#7 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

The hits just keep on coming.....sad...sad...sad...

A man fatally shot a woman decorating for a children's Christmas party at a tiny church hall and killed two men elsewhere in a rural central Pennsylvania township Friday before he was fatally shot in a gunfight with state troopers.
The shootings began in Frankstown Township at about 9 a.m. and investigators were processing five crime scenes within about a 1.5-mile radius, authorities said at a news briefing Friday afternoon. The troopers were responding to a 911 call of a shooting in the township when they heard calls reporting at least one other shooting elsewhere, state police spokeswoman Maria Finn said.

http://www.theglobea...article6638511/

I don't even know why this thread was made. These things happen in US daily and its basically a norm. You should create a thread once there is a mass shooting with deaths in triple digits.

Posted Image

#8 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I don't even know why this thread was made. These things happen in US daily and its basically a norm. You should create a thread once there is a mass shooting with deaths in triple digits.

Here you go again with this crap...these things do not happen in the US "daily" and it CERTAINLY isn't a "norm". You should refrain from posting until you get your head out of your butt.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#9 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

POPULAR

As a former American I honestly don't give a frack! America is a complete joke. Bunch of morons. I am glad I moved to the best country in the world Canada.

#10 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Why don't we guess at just how mentally unstable this guy was when he committed this crime and then wait to hear how many CDCers want to blame this on the gun.

A mentally unstable person wouldn't be able to kill multiple people without a gun. Magnotta was an unstable person and he could only kill one person without a gun. Now imagine him with an AK-47. There are many steps that needs to be taken to minimize this type of incidents. Better mental health care, stricter gun laws, better education and increase in support groups. Its not just about curing the mentally ill that will solve these incidents. A one step solution won't solve these problems.

Posted Image

#11 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Here you go again with this crap...these things do not happen in the US "daily" and it CERTAINLY isn't a "norm". You should refrain from posting until you get your head out of your butt.

Well, it looks like its a norm now. You seem to be really out of touch with reality. I wonder how many gun shooting incidents go unreported?

You also seem to not be capable of posting without insulting people.

Posted Image

#12 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

A mentally unstable person wouldn't be able to kill multiple people without a gun. Magnotta was an unstable person and he could only kill one person without a gun. Now imagine him with an AK-47. There are many steps that needs to be taken to minimize this type of incidents. Better mental health care, stricter gun laws, better education and increase in support groups. Its not just about curing the mentally ill that will solve these incidents. A one step solution won't solve these problems.

Yeah...actually, it kind of would. If they worked on the real problem, which is the mental health system (and I speak from experience) I would almost bet you that if they stop handing out these pharmaceutical drugs like they were candy...maybe do some ACTUAL Psychiatric work and come up with a better solution than these pharmaceutical drugs, then maybe their patients...being actually TREATED for their disorder, wouldn't make such irrational decisions, i.e picking up a gun and killing 15-20 people. You want more support groups? Who's going to pay for them, you? Our economy is a joke right now...do you really think they are going to spend money to put together more support groups?
Posted Image

#13 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

As a former American I honestly don't give a frack! America is a complete joke. Bunch of morons. I am glad I moved to the best country in the world Canada.

Amen brother! America is overrated when it comes to living. Its good for vacationing but not really that great for living. Its only good if you are a rich person.

Posted Image

#14 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Well, it looks like its a norm now. You seem to be really out of touch with reality. I wonder how many gun shooting incidents go unreported?

You also seem to not be capable of posting without insulting people.

You seem incapable of posting anything of relevance to a discussion...you are highly misinformed about America, and I'd say it's you who needs a bit of an education.
Posted Image

#15 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yeah...actually, it kind of would. If they worked on the real problem, which is the mental health system (and I speak from experience) I would almost bet you that if they stop handing out these pharmaceutical drugs like they were candy...maybe do some ACTUAL Psychiatric work and come up with a better solution than these pharmaceutical drugs, then maybe their patients...being actually TREATED for their disorder, wouldn't make such irrational decisions, i.e picking up a gun and killing 15-20 people. You want more support groups? Who's going to pay for them, you? Our economy is a joke right now...do you really think they are going to spend money to put together more support groups?

Your economy is a joke because your government doesn't know how to handle people's money. Spending trillions of dollars on military?? Spending trillions of dollars on Iraq and Afghanistan?? Like that helped your countrymen. America is the richest country in the world yet they are still as broke as a bum. Maybe decreasing the military funding and increasing the funding in critical areas would improve the state of living in America even if it is just slightly. Canada also has these so called pharmaceutical drugs and its share of mentally ill but you don't see incidents like what is happening in America. Its ironic that you don't want to blame the guns yet you blame the drugs. After all, aren't gun abuse and drug abuse the same thing?

Posted Image

#16 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Your economy is a joke because your government doesn't know how to handle people's money. Spending trillions of dollars on military?? Spending trillions of dollars on Iraq and Afghanistan?? Like that helped your countrymen. America is the richest country in the world yet they are still as broke as a bum. Maybe decreasing the military funding and increasing the funding in critical areas would improve the state of living in America even if it is just slightly. Canada also has these so called pharmaceutical drugs and its share of mentally ill but you don't see incidents like what is happening in America. Its ironic that you don't want to blame the guns yet you blame the drugs. After all, aren't gun abuse and drug abuse the same thing?

Uh...no...it isn't the same thing...lol....what the hell are you talking about...and "so-called" pharmaceutical drugs? Prozac, Paxil, Depakote, Risperdal, Adderall, Ritalin, for the love of whatever you see as holy these are the types of pills that are being prescribed by these clueless quacks to TEENAGERS to treat anything from depression to anxiety to many MANY misdiagnoses of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia...If you've never been in the throes of addiction to one of these psych pills like I used to be...you can never understand how dangerous they are. That's it in a nutshell. I am speaking from experience on these psych drugs, while you, unsurprisingly, are speaking from the viewpoint of having not the slightest idea what you're talking about...how on earth is gun abuse and drug abuse the same thing? Please attempt to tell me that...I'll wait.
Posted Image

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Uh...no...it isn't the same thing...lol....what the hell are you talking about...and "so-called" pharmaceutical drugs? Prozac, Paxil, Depakote, Risperdal, Adderall, Ritalin, for the love of whatever you see as holy these are the types of pills that are being prescribed by these clueless quacks to TEENAGERS to treat anything from depression to anxiety to many MANY misdiagnoses of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia...If you've never been in the throes of addiction to one of these psych pills like I used to be...you can never understand how dangerous they are. That's it in a nutshell. I am speaking from experience on these psych drugs, while you, unsurprisingly, are speaking from the viewpoint of having not the slightest idea what you're talking about...how on earth is gun abuse and drug abuse the same thing? Please attempt to tell me that...I'll wait.

They both can kill people?

Posted Image

#18 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

They both can kill people?

As I thought, no real explanation, just the obvious. I was addicted to Klonopin for 2 years when I was a teenager...it made me feel very edgy, very nervous...and when I ran out and had to wait for a new prescription...I turned into a completely different person. I myself have never had a violent nature, but those types of drugs when given to young teens who already have violent temperaments is a time bomb waiting to go off.
Posted Image

#19 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Big Pharma SSRI's etc. Everyone's saying make mental health more accessible and what not. What that really means is lets start subsidizing Prozac and Zoloft for everyone even though these drugs MAJORITY of the time are involved in the mass shootings and other sick crimes.

Actually TALKING to a psychiatrist goes a lot further than just giving someone a pill. No not all of the pills are the problem, the problem are the high side effect psychological drugs that are handed out like M&M's. While Big Pharma's profits skyrocket.

Edited by key2thecup, 22 December 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

POPULAR

Mental Health Services and Gun Control
Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image

Well, that is what am saying while Munchie over here disagrees with me.

Posted Image

#22 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image

Because both will never happen. It's one or the other, and I feel that better mental health services will cut out a lot of the violence as a bonus.
Posted Image

#23 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,685 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Posted Image

You can solve a lot more problems with better mental health treatment than gun control. It's only gun control that's more prevalent because of shocking incidents like Newtown. How many murders happen everyday because someone was wazzed out, thought they were invincible and took it on themselves/another person's life?

#24 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Because both will never happen. It's one or the other, and I feel that better mental health services will cut out a lot of the violence as a bonus.

You're right, but it would still be the ideal albeit sadly unrealistic option.
Maybe if they weren't wasting so much money on the wars on Terror and Drugs they would have enough money to supply funding to carry out plans for both.
Posted Image

#25 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

You're right, but it would still be the ideal albeit sadly unrealistic option.
Maybe if they weren't wasting so much money on the wars on Terror and Drugs they would have enough money to supply funding to carry out plans for both.

Right freaking on!!!!
Posted Image

#26 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thats BS! Why not both? Both can happen, its just that you don't want to go through hoops to get your precious gun.

Posted Image

#27 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Thats BS! Why not both? Both can happen, its just that you don't want to go through hoops to get your precious gun.

WE CAN'T AFFORD IT...if you knew anything at all about America you'd realize we're BROKE. And I am not going to address the asinine "your precious gun" comment.

Edited by Munchie Marauder, 22 December 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Big Pharma SSRI's etc. Everyone's saying make mental health more accessible and what not. What that really means is lets start subsidizing Prozac and Zoloft for everyone even though these drugs MAJORITY of the time are involved in the mass shootings and other sick crimes.

Actually TALKING to a psychiatrist goes a lot further than just giving someone a pill. No not all of the pills are the problem, the problem are the high side effect psychological drugs that are handed out like M&M's. While Big Pharma's profits skyrocket.

Holy Toledo it's someone who gets it...I must be hallucinating....
Posted Image

#29 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Guns , psych drugs , sounds like a recipe for tragedy to me brother :sadno:

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#30 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I think we need to focus on caring for children at an early age while providing a loving environment for them. Put health and well being at the top of the list of priorities. Some may call that socialism and if it is then so be it.

I think until we legitimately care for those who have not been cared for, and raise our children with a loving hand and heart, these things will keep happening.

Maybe it isn't viable today, but I think it is something to strive for

Edited by Navyblue, 22 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.